FA Cup 2nd Round: Torquay vs Walsall

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: It's so good to keep hearing how good Nico is playing, if only to wipe that smirk off Yellow's face :)
That smirk is well and truly gone. It has turned into a mixture of shock and awe..

That spell on the sidelines was the advent of Nicho s second coming .

I stand chastised SG. :O
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I've had to do much the same over Benyon, mate. As long as they exceed our expectations it's all good for the club we all love.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

What a game, their goalie played a blinder.

The last few minutes were uncomfortable, but otherwise job done.

Onwards and upwards.
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Tynan

Post by sadlad »

Well done you Gulls, best team on the day won and no complaints. Had it not been for Jimmy Walker the score would have been 3 or 4. Hope you get a good draw in Rd 3 and make a bit a money. All the best to TUFC.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It's been a pleasure having you on here. Reading your input has been very informative and thanks for being so gracious in defeat. I hope you'll pop in from time to time and contribute some more.

All the best.
Dave

Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Good rather than great performance yesterday. Billy Kee was possibly my MOTM, in contention with Mark Ellis who made some great last gasp tackles as well as imposing himself with the head when Walsall started to go long.

Nicho was awesome with his dead ball plays but was not at ease inthe first half against their winger.

Robbo seemed to hold their left wing attacks better than Manse which will give Bucks a headache for midfield selection now that SNW is playing well again.

Agree Zebs was perhaps the only slight disappointment.

But, hey, its now 8 unbeaten and in the 3rd round so well done to Bucks who also got the subs spot on yesterday.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
BernardB
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BernardB »

Thoughts on the ref please folks?
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by sadlad »

Cheers SouthamptonGull.. nice comments there mate. Always call it as I see it and the longer the game went on the more it was evident to me that Torquay wanted it more. Can't stress just how well Super Jim was in goal. Our other keeper (Jonny Brain) is not fit to lace Jim's boots and although 37 Walker is an absolute Walsall legend and hope we can extend his deal in January. A nice hour pre-match in The Union pub pre-match and as ever a great atmosphere in there. Read on here that there are plans to rebuild the main stand and good luck with that. Once that is in place all four sides will look great. Its been a pleasure writing on here an you haven't seen the last of me ;-) I have always had a soft spot for TUFC and will continue to follow the fortunes of the best club in Devon.
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

Cheers sadlad, its always nice to have fans to share there views in a good way, the club is lucky to have a fan like you, more of them is needed in football. I hope Walsall can sort there troubles and get back on track. Best of luck!
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Well done to the team yesterday! :scarf: :clap:

Thanks for your input, Sadlad, too! :-D

COYY!

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Dead chuffed with that. We seemed a bit slow out of the blocks, but soon took the upper hand. There keeper made at least four incredible saves, and he was fairly close to the penalty too!

Thought Billy Kee did excellently on his own, kept trying, and even when things didn't come off right he was soon chasing back trying to win it back!

As said, its been good to have you on here Sadlad, alot better company than a Northampton fan we had on here in August (where did he go, by the way?! :scarf: )

Now for one out of Old Trafford, Emirates, Stamford Bridge, Anfield, White Hart Lane or the City of Manchester Stadium please!! :engflag:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Have just read all the way through the thread. Only made a quick comment last night after eventually getting in from a celebratory tour of refreshment establishments. Was too spannered to add anything else.

Was it f in cold down in that corner of the Ellacombe End / Popside or what ? Poor attendance again, don t see it improving for next week against Burton, if anything it will probably be lower, my guesstimate is 2178. I hope I m wrong, the Board must be disheartened as I m sure we all are. We really do need a moneyspinner now in the next round and if not then we need to go as far as we can to get the prize money from each round.

The atmosphere yesterday was an improvement on the Barnet game and joined in many times with the YELLOW ARMY chant as did many around me in the Popside section in line with the Ellacombe End penalty box.

No complaints from me about the officials, if anything the Popside lino was too on the ball. I thought Puffing Billy had a good game and was delighted in the way he smashed home the pen (my Bruv missed it, it was his turn this match to get m in at Boots & Laces). I agree about the commentary on Radio Devon, very good and always have me earphones in at home games.

Bucks got it right again I thought, although the last 10 minutes were nervy. We would have been out of sight by then but for their keeper.

Let s all tuck into our dinners then settle back and see who we get in Round 3.
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by sadlad »

Cheers BlueYellow, NorthumberGull and Nick.

I'm getting quite exited myself to see who Torquay get in the next round :)
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Highlights are here:

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/facup ... ighlights/

Well, it's Hemmings being brought down, and Kee firing it in, but nice to be able to see it if you hadn't before. There's also interviews with Billy Kee and Buckle after the game.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by sadlad »

Cheers Gulliball. That's the first clip I've seen. Yeah there's no disputing the pen award and Coco said as such at the end of the clip. That's the first interview I have ever seen Paul Buckle give. Seems a level headed young man and you can't fault his record of reaching Round 3 since he's been at the club.