FA Cup 2nd Round: Torquay vs Walsall

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

:bow: :scarf: :bow: :scarf: :bow: :scarf: :bow: :scarf: :bow: :scarf: :bow: :scarf: :bow: :scarf: :bow: :scarf: :bow: :scarf: :bow: :scarf: :bow: :scarf: woo hoo geat win guys and gals,just read all your posts good reading people,well it just seems to be getting better and better week by week,by the sounds of it there keeper had a blinder,wonder how many times we will say that this season ha ha, jokin aside a great day 4 us all, and hoping for a money spinning draw 2moz .....simon :) :lol: :-D (D)
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

YellowMurphy wrote:Brilliant game, in the first half we played some great passing football, our central midfield trio is working a treat. Hemmings looks like a keeper, won our penalty, and made some quality runs and passes. Nicholson had 2 brilliant free kicks palmed away, Kee held up play well, but still needs work, smashed the penalty home powerfully. Ellis did well for us again. Although I must say Zebroski wasnt at his best, some poor touches, but doesnt worry me, as it was half expected after the week hes had. Second Half we went a little more defensive and tried to sit back on our 1-0 lead, but we often got them on the counter with our obvious pace advantage. Quality performance, great atmosphere to go with it too. If we can keep that atmosphere going every home game, it will make a postive effect on the players, it seemed to today. We deserved the win, onwards and upwards!
Oh dear. I was hoping he looked like a winger :Oops:
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Match report and comments from Buckle here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 206839.stm
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Torquay United manager Paul Buckle told BBC Radio Devon:
"We don't want to be greedy, we'd like a home draw, and we'd like Liverpool."

:clap: :) :) :scarf:

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
luke97
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: kevin hill

Post by luke97 »

Great win

Great run of form

Reduced prices

Attendence 2334

Discuss
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

to me the reduced prices dont seem to have made a difference.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Early rounds of the FA Cup unless it's a local draw aren't really going to pull the crowds in. Walsall at home they aren't going to bring many and it's not one to get the casual observer of his chair and into the ground. When you tie in that ST holders have to pay to go to this (so that will knock one or two off the gate) along with the quite wretched weather conditions was never going to be a swelled gate.

We are what we are and it won't change overnight. But I would advise those that are cpaable to go more often to go because the team we've got at the minute is the best Torquay side to watch that there's been in years.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

yellow wrote: Oh dear. I was hoping he looked like a winger :Oops:
Corrected for the .net posting police! :) ;-) :)
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Just thawing out after getting back. Low attendance? Probably down to the weather hopefully. Its was pretty 'kin cold up there today. Wind was blowing quite strongly towards the family stand, holding the keepers kicks in both halves. A solid display from torquay. I was a bit concerned that 1 up and a 5 man midfiled was rather negative but after about 10 minutes I could see why. We controlled the midfield nicely with Zebs, Hemmings, OKane or Wroe always free follow up and assist Kee. The defence was quite solid apart from Ellis getting caught on the turn a couple of times by Grigg (their best attacking threat) and Branners misplacing a couple of passes towards the end. Midfield was excellent and controlled the opposition who had to resort to long balls. This did change in the 2nd half when Dickinson was replaced by a rather quick midfielder but once they started to gain control of the midfield, credit to Bucks for bringing OKane off for Robbo to go RB and Manse to stiffen up the midfield again. Zebs was probably a bit quieter than usual but they usually got 2 players on him pretty quickly. Hemming had a cracker till he got clattered. Hope he's ok cos he seems to be the missing link on the left side of midfield. NW had his best game ive seen this season (didnt do Wycombe or Oxford), probably because the way midfield was set up allows him more freedom. Billyboy made a good replacement for Benners and took the penalty with pace and accuracy into the top corner.

An excellent performance all round with a special mention to the Walsall keeper who kept them in it with 4 or 5 amazing fingertip saves...

My MOM though? Nico TBH. Solid defence and great attacking play
Last edited by Fletch on 27 Nov 2010, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.
Plymouthgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Plymouthgull »

Well played to the lads today. I thought Key had a great game especially as he was asked, as times, to play as the lone one up front. Not so worried now when Benyon goes in January
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Did we make a secret signing or do you mean Kee? :red:
Dave

Plymouthgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Plymouthgull »

Sorry, and I'm only on the first glass - must be my age!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Billy looked awful lonely up there today. Good team display today, very impressed. Nicho came so close, sheer class!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

RussianGull wrote:Billy looked awful lonely up there today. Good team display today, very impressed. Nicho came so close, sheer class!
It's so good to keep hearing how good Nico is playing, if only to wipe that smirk off Yellow's face :)
Dave

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Southampton Gull wrote:
It's so good to keep hearing how good Nico is playing, if only to wipe that smirk off Yellow's face :)
Indeed - Bucks did well last season with him. He has worked similar "magic" with Wroe this season too.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com