Wycombe Wanderers vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Wycombe Wanderers vs Torquay United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Adams Park
Tuesday 23rd November 2010
KO: 7:45pm

The second half of our double-header takes us to Adams Park, home of Wasps Rugby Club aswell as Wycombe Wanderers. Wycombe currently sit 6th in the table, one place above us, although 3 points do separate the two sides. I'm expecting a very tough, physical game on Tuesday night, as we are up against another relegated side from League One last year. Wycombe were one of my favourites to be up and around the top 7 in July, and so far they are living up to that prediction. A narrow 2-1 defeat at Port Vale on Saturday was their latest result, so I'm expecting them to want to get back to winning ways against us. However, as we all know, on the road, the 4-4-1-1 formation employed by Paul Buckle seems to be working well, so maybe we can be more hopeful than usual, going into this one. Here is the Wycombe Fans Forum for you to have a look at, if you want:

http://www.gasroom.co.uk/

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - League 2 - 6th place - 71 points
2006/07 - League 2 - 12th place - 62 points
2007/08 - League 2 - 7th place - 78 points
2008/09 - League 2 - 3rd place - 78 points - PROMOTED TO LEAGUE ONE
2009/10 - League 1 - 22nd place - 45 points - RELEGATED TO LEAGUE TWO

After two successful seasons which saw the club finish in the playoffs, neither time they had enough to get the promotion up to League One. However, in 2009, the promotion was finally delivered by Peter Taylors side, as they finished ahead of Bury on goal difference to seal the promotion. Infact, only one goal separated the two sides fates, which seems incredibly harsh on Bury fans, but thats football for you. The joy of League One football at Adams Park was shortlived though, and they were sent back down to the all to familiar League 2, finishing third from bottom, ahead of Southend and Stockport.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Wycombe wins - 2 (1 in Cup)
Torquay wins - 2
Draws - 3

There isn't much history between the two clubs. The first meetings ended in two 1-1 draws, in 1993/94. Wycombe knocked us out of the Football League Trophy in October 2002, winning 4-0 at Plainmoor, which is the biggest winning margin ever in this fixture. However, since then, we have played 2 at Adams Park, winning one and losing one. I remember the game we won up there, in that great escape of 2006. Tony Bedeau scored the only goal of the game. Also, the two sides last met at Plainmoor, when we beat the Chairboys 3-0, but that wasn't enough to keep us up.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

DWWLWL

That is their form in all competitions in their past 6 games. It started with a draw against Lincoln. They then won 2-0 at Gillingham, and followed that up with a FA Cup win at Hayes & Yeading, to progress to Round 2. However, in an extraordinary Johnstones Paint Trophy match, they lost 6-3 at home to Bristol Rovers, with ex-Gulls Jo Kuffour and Scott Rendell bagging a hat-trick each. They then won 1-0 at home to Bradford, but they lost 2-1 at Vale Park yesterday.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the line up that started at Port Vale:

Nikki Bull

Danny Foster
Chris Westwood
Dave Winfield
Andy Sandell

Kevin Betsy
Lewis Montrose
Matt Bloomfield
Gareth Ainsworth

Ben Strevens
Stuart Beavon

Subs: Arnold, Bennett, Johnson, Murtagh, McCoy, Harris, McClure.

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

Looking at that squad list above, I would expect players like Jon-Paul Pittman and Scott Rendell to return, unless they are both injured, which could be good for us! However, if those two miss out, then I'd watch out for Kevin Betsy, who still has a lot of pace to burn. Stuart Beavon is capable at this level, too, and I remember him from his Weymouth days. Andy Sandell has a great left foot on him, and I've seen him score a fair few freekicks this year - so hopefully we'll be clever enough not to give him an opportunity to put one past us.

PREDICTION.

I am not confident of returning with a win, but to come out unbeaten I'd be happy with.

However;

Wycombe 2-1 Torquay
NewtonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by NewtonGull »

wow. someone has done there homework eh? buzzing for this! only my second away day of the season. setting off at 2pm with a few mate accompanied by a couple of fosters! ha! is paul the drummer going??
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

Paul is going along with Dave and I shall be there along with some Back Step Army. Looking forward to this, and hopefully a point!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yep, let's make some real noise and show what a few of us can do, given some acoustic help ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

Dont worry about that Dave, were gunna get the place rocking :scarf: :bow: :clap:
NewtonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by NewtonGull »

should be good! i for one will be making some proper noise! buzzing for it!
Helen Frisby
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston (pickler)

Post by Helen Frisby »

Think we'll come a cropper - WW 3- 1TUFC
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Very tough game - on paper one of the most difficult of the season. I'll expect we'll go 4-5-1 and try and take something from the game. Stockport fans on Saturday were surprised with how defensive we were for a side in the play-offs, and I'd expect we'll be even more cautious against a much better side tomorrow.

That said, with O'Kane and co on the break, we have the potential to get something from all games - and by all accounts one of our best performances, if not the best, was away at high-flying Shrewsbury.

I think we'll play reasonably well, but Wycombe will break us down and snatch it 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1. Same line-up as Saturday.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I went for a 2-1 defeat also; I believe this is he first time I've predicted a loss this season!

Zebroski to score against his old club. Beavon and Ainsworth(who we tried to sign last season?) for them.

Let's hope I'm wrong...
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Be very happy with a point from this one, I expect Wycombe to be around the play-off picture come the end of the season, (along with us hopefully).

Hoping that we play well like we usually do against the so called better teams in the division, have a bad feeling that Rendell may score though :(.

As long as we're in the play-off zone by 10pm tomorrow evening, that will do for me. :scarf:

1-1 Benyon for us, Rendell for them.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Yellow4life wrote:
Let's hope I'm wrong...
Lets hope we're all wrong, really!

Was kind of hoping to get to this one, but can't. :(

Chesterfield is looking like my next away game though, so not too long to wait :)
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by cosmic74 »

Trying to be optomistic on this one. We have been better against the sides near the top of the table this season and better away from home. So therefore I predict a 2-2 draw. There, that makes sense.

Also my first away game of the season, mainly because I am woeking 12 miles north of Wycombe this week!!!! It better not be called off.....I will cry :'( :'(

Hope to see some of you there. Anyone going for a beer before the game?? and if so where abouts??

:win: :scarf: :goal:
I live for matchdays!!!!
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

hi every1, i can see no reason why we cant come away with 3 points, ok will be difficult granted, 1 of of our toughest tests we will face away all season,but we will rise to the occasion, lets go there and be positve,let them be concerned about us,they wont relish playing us, we are in a playoff position on our merits and long may that continue, am not 1 4 predicting scores lets go there and kick some arse, and with plenty of noise from you lucky enough 2 be there, 3 points for the taking......simon :bow:
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

what has happened to rendell?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Difficult to predict this one. Bit too early to be talking about "6 pointers" but in a way it is.

We beat them, we will swop places with them. They beat us then a gap of 6 points between us opens up. A draw I'll take right now, but we must go all out for an ugly win in the same manner and spirit shown against Oxford.

1-2

Zebroski and Benyon and not necessarily in that order.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"