Wycombe Wanderers vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Outstanding.

Could have had 6 or 7 and it would have been a fairer reflection.

Performances like today show we're in the playoff race for the long haul if we keep this squad together.

Wycombe were truly awful, yet somehow they are in the mix too.

Will try and do a full report when I get back depending on traffic
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

so proud 2nite guys and gals, a superb nite 4 all of us and connected with the club, am sure we would of took 4 points frm last 2 games,onwards and upwards, well done to all that made it 2 the game........... simon :scarf: :clap: :bow:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Jeff wrote:Outstanding.

Performances like today show we're in the playoff race for the long haul if we keep this squad together.

cheers (as ever) Jeff.

look forward to it.
Last edited by SuperNickyWroe on 23 Nov 2010, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Jeff wrote:Outstanding.

Please do report Jeff, since it sounded on Radio Devon as if we made them look rubbish, rather than them actually being rubbish, but I'd like to hear what your opinion is, since you have used the highlighted wording.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Very proud of the boys tonight. A fantastic win at a very hard ground to go and play at...i'm even more annoyed I couldn't make it now! If that's to be Benners last game for us, then thanks for the memories and what a fantastic servant. But I think the guys got a sensible head on his shoulders, and for that amount of money and considering the possible clubs rumoured, i reckon he might stick around.

Onwards and upwards!

John
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

yellowsmiffy wrote:Dagenham and Southend are both after him. Southend have indeed bid the six figure sum above. No idea where their money has come from.
:-o Southend!!??? Oh dear, first Carayol and now maybe Benyon making sideways career moves? Makes me a little bit sick that a club like Southend can overspend so badly and almost fold, and then a season later bid 6 figures for a league 2 player!!!! If Benners has an ounce of sense (Which he obviously does) he will see that we're the ones with the best chance of progressing his career. Southend are terrible, and Daggers will go down. They lost to the worst Plymouth performence my mate has ever witnessed tonight apparently![/quote]

Quantify this for me, how many PAFC games has seen?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

yellowsmiffy wrote:Just seen the table, FANTASTIC!!! So proud. If we had got the results we deserved in the previous 2 games, then we would be challenging for automatics!!
We're sitting pretty at the moment, no pressure on us from being in automatic place so we can just keep tucked in there and make sure we're in contention. I'd put money on us being up there in March, but look what happened when I backed Billy.... :Oops:
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

i know we will miss benners if he goes, but am sure we will be ok lets have faith in bucks, hes not letting us down in any way, we are having a great season, better than most of us expected, being a small club we are going to attract some attention from bigger clubs if any of our players are doing well, and we will keep on having a great season guys and gals,am in no doubt about that, nothing can take the gloss off 2nites result a great nite, enjoy the ride, i know i am .....simon :bow: :clap: :scarf:
Chow Mein
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Bruno Meirelles

Post by Chow Mein »

Wow, what a truely brilliant performance to silence the highly vocal Wycombe home crowd (ha ha ha ha ha).........it was like being in a bloody morgue. Great turnout from Torquay fans.

We could've had 7 or 8 & Wycombe look completely lost due to our quick, sharp passing that was completely ripping apart their defence TIME and TIME again!!!

Nicholson was brilliant, Oastler didn't do a thing wrong, Zebroski class, Wroe outstanding.....just a brilliant all round performance.

I'm not sure Wycombe were awful but listening to several Wycombe fans they didn't sound very happy! Rendell was well appreciated but came on in the last 20 and looked bright for a couple of minutes before not getting a kick to the FT whistle.

What impressed me was the clear effort players were giving.

As for Wycombe......Dave Winfield was bloody awful!!!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

happytorq wrote:
Yes, we have to take the money because he is unlikely to sign another contract, & frankly deserves his chance with a bigger club, I don't think he will consider Southend or D & R to be bigger than Torquay but of course he could be tempted with loads of dosh!
The worry is that we will have to pay six figures to get an adequate replacement, who will no doubt be on very decent wages.
Billy is not ready yet to take over from E.B. so we will have to get in another loan striker.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Twenty pages ! and still rising !

Well done to everybody for contributing to the thread. :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Brilliant result and sounds like a top performance. Why can't we play like that at home - the missing fans would soon come back if we did.

I hope I do see Benyon again in United colours - I have rated him ever since he arrived - even when others (including the manager!) was rubbishing him as too lightweight.

Looking forward now to Saturday's Cup game - can we step up again and try our luck for a big draw in the third round?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

I think we all need a lie down after that...the F5 key took some stick this afternoon

Onwards and upwards - the unbeaten run is picking up momentum - but for the previous 2 results we would be close the automatic promotion spots!

Marvellous - well done everyone! :bow:
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

It sounded like an excellent performance tonight from the lads. Listening to the RD commentary it sounded like wave after wave of attack and I must admit to cursing Steve Breed on a couple of occasions - firstly when he celebrated a "goal" - which turned out to be a save on the line from Bull and then when he shouted out for a penalty when in fact Zebs had been brought down just outside the box! As for their "goal" ... we were initially led to believe it was just a penalty claim ... but no in fact the linesmen was flagging to confirm that the ball had crossed our line. :'(

Never mind, it all added to the excitement of what sounded like a terrific game - at least if you were a Gull s fan. Credit also to the 100 or so (according to RD) members of the Backstep Army :scarf: in attendance - we heard you loud and clear! I'm not sure how close you were to the RD commentary position but your constant support for the Yellows made it sound to me like we were the home side - you could barely hear the Wycombe support, nice one lads!

As for the side, credit must go to Bucks for sticking with the same side who played so well at Stockport. I really think the midfeld three of Wroe and Oastler with O'Kane in a more advanced role shows some real promise particularly away from home. Not only does it suit O'Kane's style of play but judging by tonight's performance it may just suit Nicky Wroe as well! :clap:

You really have to come to the conclusion that we are a better away side than we are at home, I think it's fair to say that nearly all our best performances this season have been on the road and how much better could it have been if we had only converted some of those draws (Stockport, Crewe and Shrewsbury come to mind) into the wins that our performances deserved. Never mind, let's hope we can now start to put the home form right, starting on Saturday!

I really hope we don't lose anyone over the next 48 hours, it seems Benyon is the mosty likely to go - but if a club comes in and meets our valuation and the move is right for Elliot there is nothing we can do. We mustn't forget that he is out of contract anyway in the summer and so the club probably needs to cash in now (at the right price of course) rather than risk a tribunal valuation in the summer. Should he go though, I really hope Bucks has a replacement lined up to come in as I really don't think there is anyone in our squad who can bring what young Elliot does to the side - not least with his goals. I still have hopes for Billy Kee but it would too soon for him I think.

It sounded like young Hemmings gave them a few problems tonight and I'm pleased for him that he seems to be upping his game after a rather inauspicious start to his loan period. Hopefully, we can persuade Wolves to let him stay a bit longer as I feel he could become an important player for us over the coming months- particularly if he can improve his end product.

Well done to Bucks and the Boys and the travelling fans - a fantastic night's work! :clap:
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by cosmic74 »

Just got back to my digs from the game. What a truely awsome performance!!!! Everyone played their part in a fantastic result tonight, hard to single anyone out. But if I were pushed then I would give the man of the match award to Nicky Wroe. Good turn out of Gulls fans, on a cold damp night. But nothing could dampen the shear joy of seeing Wycombe ripped apart from a truely outstanding Torquay side.

Spoke to a Wycombe fan, who reckoned that the result flattered us a bit and that they should have gone 2-1 up just before we did. Well they should have scored just before our second, however don't be fooled by the score. We created chance after chance and always looked like walking away with the 3 points, even when they went 1 up!

I have been sat in a classroom today, bored to tears, listening to lectures on Health and Safety and Transportation of Dangerous Goods. Well it was worth it just to get to the game and see a truely magnificent performance!!! And the team coach is carrying Dangerous Goods tonight as they were on fire!!!!!! (truely bad joke!!!!). Time to tackle my homework me thinks!!!!!!

COYY :win: :win: :win:
I live for matchdays!!!!