Wycombe Wanderers vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

It's always good when were in the away end at plainmoor.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Hopefully last nights result and performance by both the team and supporters will be repeated against Walsall on Saturday.

For those going lets have plenty of YELLOW ARMY and COME ON YOU YELLOWS :scarf: :clap: :scarf:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Agree with all the positive comments about last night's game. For a game against a Play Off rival, the gulf between the two sides was massive and my only concern was at the amount of chances we failed to put away - at 2-1 Wycombe were being totally outclassed but with players like Ainsworth and Betsy they still created one or two chances. I can see how we have thrown away points away from home this season. We should have been four up by the time Benners put the game to bed.

The quality of our football brought back memories of the Leroy promotion season. There was a period during the second half we ended in Wroe shooting over where the quality of our passing was about as good as I have seen over the last 25years. Wycombe allowed us far too much time on the ball and we exploited it to the full with neat passing from Wroe and O'Kane and intelligent running from Zebs, Benners and Hemmings. It was good to see that Hemmings is finding his League Two feet - he looked very dangerous before fading in the second half. A word about Oastler - I like the look of this fella and although Wroe and O'Kane take much of the plaudits, this guy does a lot of the donkey work that allows them the space - he also has an eye for a pass as well. If we can keep him for the season it would be a real bonus.

I'm torn about Benners - We cannot afford to refuse an offer in the region of £100,000, but the frustrating thing is that he is still work in progress - he has come on leaps and bounds over the last year, but I get the feeling he can continue to develop as a player in the coming year or so. I didn't actually think it was one of his better games last night. If we do sell him I'd like to think that we will cover ourselves with plenty of sell on clauses. If there is a chance thar he isn't going to sign a new cotract then we don't have much choice.

We will always be a selling club and fans have to accept that - if crowds were better then maybe we could hold on to our players for a while longer. On the other hand, we have little chance of bringing back the fans if we are seen to be cashing in on our decent players. I don't personally think we have the consistency to get into the play offs this season, but I am happy with the steady progress made this year. I have quite enjoyed watching the steady development of players like Benyon, Ellis, Okane and Zebs. It would be a shame to beak the squad up just when we appear to be at the start of something pretty good.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

northharrowgull wrote:My son took this short clip of nicky wroe's first goal last night. Sorry dont know how to do direct links but if you go to you tube and type in Bongogremlin in the search box it will take you to the clip. Apologies for the quality (of the clip, not the goal!)
Nicky Rowe?
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Enzo wrote:Wycombe allowed us far too much time on the ball and we exploited it to the full with neat passing from Wroe and O'Kane and intelligent running from Zebs, Benners and Hemmings.
That is probably the crux of our Jekyll & Hyde performances this season Enzo. When the opposition give us time and space on the ball, then most of the players look more than capable of holding their own at a higher level. Its when we get closed down and dont get the space to play our game that some of our players seem to go MIA and look pretty lightweight, particularly the midfield....
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Also watching the highlights again last night, it seemed that every time our midfield got the ball, Wycombe almost took a step back to let us run at them, but when we did, they would end up slipping or not being strong enough and once we went past them, they had no cover to protect the keeper.

Also how many back passes to the keeper (their keeper) was their? Nothing like putting pointless pressure on your goalie lol.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Another excellent performance by all concerned esp. Paul Bastard. Watch the clips if you haven't already, keep an eye out for him behind the goal. Made me chuckle after a depressing day. TOP SUPPORTER!
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Another excellent performance by all concerned esp. Paul Bastard. Watch the clips if you haven't already, keep an eye out for him behind the goal. Made me chuckle after a depressing day. TOP SUPPORTER!
Made me chuckle as well. I remember Paul B*stard from Ellacombe Primary School. He was moving up to long pants as I was growing into short ones.

There are some on here who have never seen him in long pants and think I'm telling fibs.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"