TUFC v Hereford United, Football League 2, 29/10/11

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay V Hereford Matchday Thread

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Hope you guys don't mind me having a go at doing a matchday thread for a change. Never done one beforeand hope i'm not stepping on anyones toes by doing so. Anyway we are at Plainmoor on saturday for the visit of Hereford United and the Gulls should be confident of a victorious follow up to their fantastic 4-0 rout of AFC Wimbledon at home on tuesday evening. The last time the two teams met was at Plainmoor on a tuesday evening on the 1st of February 2011 in League 2. The game was played in front of a paltry crowd of just 1,680 and the Gulls lost 3-1 after being a goal up after only 10 minutes from new arrival Jake Robinson. Sadly the Gulls not only lost the game but were also docked a point by the Football League for fielding an inelegible player which was Robinson.

Currently the Bulls sit in 18th place and have 16 points compared to us who have 18 points and are in 15th spot. The most startling statistic so far this season is their goal difference of minus 12 which goes some way to explaining their poor start to the season. Since the 6-1 hammering by Gillingham at Edgar Street in mid september they have gone on a very impressive run of being unbeaten in 6 including home wins against Barnet (1-0) and Bradford (2-0) and last time out an impressive away victory (3-1) at Northampton. They also drew away at Swindon and Cheltenham.

Their recent good form is a concern for Martin Ling and his players as many fans will be expecting a home success; however, i personally feel that we shouldn't underestimate Hereford as they clearly come to Plainmoor in good form and have a newfound confidence. I have no doubt that they will provide us with a good test.

Hereford United manager Jamie Pitman is expecting to field a similar team to the one which beat Northampton on tueday night with the exceptions of Harry Pell who has scored a few times recently. He is suspended for picking up a fifth yellow at Sixfields. Kenny Lunt or James McQuilken are set to battle it out for that particular starting berth. French signing Benoit Dalibard deputised for the suspended Joe Heath in the left back position on tuesday and did well enough to keep his place according to Pitman yet he is undecided who will start. There is competition also at centre back where Ryan Green and Andy Todd vie for selection. Todd was replaced mid way through the second half by Green on tuesday night due to fatigue. Former Brighton striker Nathan Elder is set to start after netting in his last two games. Thomas Barkhuizen is in form and could pose Torquay a few problems.

Their line up against Northampton was as follows:

DAVID CORNELL (GK), ANDY TOOD, ROB PURDIE, STEFAN STAM, BENOIT DALIBARD, HARRY PELL, NICKY FEATHERSTONE, STEVEN LESLIE, THOMAS BARKHUIZEN, SIMON CLIST, NATHAN ELDER. USED SUBS: YOANN ARQUIN, RYAN GREEN, MICHAEL TOWNSHEND.

I am predicting a 1-1 draw for saturday although obviously i hope we will win the game. I just don't think the game will be as 'easy' as some are making out so just beware.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

We welcome Hereford United tomorrow, on the back of Tuesdays comprehensive win over AFC Wimbledon. Another tough assignment for Martin Ling and the lads, as Hereford come to the English Riviera in form, winning their last 3 games. Their mini revival seems to have tied in with Gary Peters joining the club as a director of football (or something along those lines). The Bulls sit in 18th place, which shows how much the 3 wins make, as they were in the bottom 4 before their win at Northampton on Tuesday. They sit 2 points behind us, so aslong as we get something, we'll stay above them.

GULLS NEWS.

No injuries were picked up on Tuesday, except perhaps Mark Ellis, who took a facial blow near the end but I don't think it was enough to keep him out for tomorrow. Chris Robertson may be fit again, but I would expect it to be the same starting 11 tomorrow.

THE OPPOSITION.

I'm going to try this a different, more factual-based way this time. If you prefer it the old way then just ask. I'm also hoping it's a bit quicker, but time will tell. Anyway, here goes.

Manager: Jamie Pitman
Previous Clubs:

Player; Swindon, Hereford, Yeovil, Woking, Forest Green.
Manager: Hereford

Pitman is in his first managerial role, having moved up from club physio to manager, firstly as caretaker, before being given a 2 year deal in April 2011. This is his 3rd spell at Edgar Street, having spent 6 years there in two spells in his playing career.

--------

Onto the players then, and we'll start off in goal.

GK: Adam Bartlett
Previous Clubs: Blyth, Kidderminster, Cambridge, Hereford

Bartlett spent 3 years at Blyth, making over 100 appearances, before moving up to Kidderminster in 2008. He was loaned out to Cambridge, where he made a single appearance, in our Playoff Final victory. He has been at Hereford since then, making over 90 appearances.

GK: David Cornell
Previous Clubs: Swansea, Port Talbot (loan), Hereford (loan)

The Welsh youngster who has come through the ranks at Swansea, has spent time on loan at Port Talbot and Hereford, making over 20 appearances in total.

GK: Russell Hoult
Previous Clubs: Leicester, Lincoln, Blackpool, Bolton, Derby, Portsmouth, West Brom, Notts Forest, Stoke, Notts County, Darlington, Hereford

A long career stretching over two decades has seen Hoult employed by numerous clubs. Several of which are loans, he has been a permanent player at Leicester, Derby, Portsmouth, WBA, Stoke, Notts County and now Hereford. He is number 3 goalkeeper, behind Bartlett and Cornell. He also works as a coach at Edgar Street.

Onto the defence now.

DF: Ryan Green
Previous Clubs: Wolves, Torquay, Millwall, Cardiff, Sheffield Wednesday, Hereford, Bristol Rovers.

Green is a former Gulls-loanee, having made 10 appearances for us in 2001. The right back has made nearly 200 appearances for Hereford, in two stints, sandwhiching a 3 year spell at Bristol Rovers. He has made 16 appearances at Wales U21 level, and has 2 full caps to his name.

DF: Joe Heath
PC: Notts Forest, Lincoln, Exeter, Hereford

The 23 year old came through the ranks at Forest. He made 10 appearances for them, before leaving to Lincoln on loan. He p

At this stage, Matt has taken over. Matt has realised that Hereford have almost 40 players on their books and is damned if he is going to cut ‘n’ paste from the Hereford OS when people can go there themselves if they’re all that bothered.

So, Hereford have a couple of noticeable names at Edgar Street. Firstly, there is Delroy Facey. This powerful striker is ex-Premiership, so will always be a handful. We’ll need Ellis at the back to marshal his about effectively. I’d fear for Robbo against him, what with the former’s penchant for tugging a shirt.
Next up is Kenny Lunt, who spent the vast majority of his career in the Championship with Crewe. He isn’t much of a goal threat, but he will certainly make things happen in the middle of the park if given too much time. He is knocking on a bit now though, so if we can harry him and run him about a bit, he might find himself knackered.
Sam Winnall is a fellow we know of, having been on loan to Burton last season, from parent club Wolves. He averaged more than a goal every other game while there, so he’ll need to be watched pretty carefully.

So, they do, despite their lowly position, have some kind of goal threat in the side and, in Adam Bartlett and Russell Hoult, they have a strong goalkeeping roster. Why is it (aside from the fact that football is played on grass, not paper) that such a fearsome looking line up is struggling so badly?

Well, a look at the table might go some way to explaining it... They have conceded the same number of home goals as we have (16), but while we have managed to counter that by scoring 18 (more than any side other than CTFC, but they don’t really count), Hereford have managed to find the net just 5 times. That said, they are yet to draw a game at home, and have managed to turn those five goals into three wins. Oddly, they’re better off on the road. Eight scored and nine conceded certainly hints at an improvement in performances, but they’ve managed to secure the three points on a solitary occasion.
For me, this is a game we ought to win. Hereford are a pretty average L2 side and they have lost their only real asset in Mathieu Manset (massive black guy, now at Reading) and they have managed to amass fewer points than us, despite the abject manner of our recent form. Time’ll tell, but I think Hereford will be lucky not to go down this year.

So far this year

A third of the way through the season and I think it might be nice to have a look back over the results of the opposition thus far this term:
Hereford’s pre-season was a disaster, collecting one point from twelve and conceding three goals in three consecutive games while scoring just one in all four games.
Early doors, they played Southend, Morecambe and Macclesfield, conceding eight and failing to score. It was August 20th before they scored, it came courtesy of that man Facey and it earned them a point away at AFCW. An away point at Bristol Useless was followed by a 1-0 home win against Dagenham and Redbridge. This was the last bright light in a spell which saw The Bulls pick up just two points from eighteen (this did, however, include a 3-3 draw away at Swindon Town). They have picked up of late, winning the last three matches in a row, scoring six and conceding one in the process.
It seems that Hereford struggle to mix up their results, being either consistently good or consistently bad.

Ref watch

Fred Graham is 47, and has been refereeing since 1988. We’ve had him just the once before, last year in the League Cup came at Swindon, where we lost 2-0 and he booked just one man (K. Charnock).

Consequences

The table is starting to thin out a little, and sadly, a win for us tomorrow will move us up no more than two places to 13th, provided Rotherham and Crewe both get beaten. A heavy loss could see us drop as low as 20th, depending upon other results.
For our visitors, their range is between 14th and 22nd, so neither team can escape the clutches of the bottom half.

Prediction

Ha, always my favourite part of this match day thread malarkey, let’s go nuts and suggest that if we can beat AFCW 4-0, then we can do exactly the same thing to Hereford, but in truth, it could just as easily be that we LOSE 4-0.

Matt (and Nick).
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Thanks to Andy for his efforts, but since Nick and I had gone to all the trouble of doing a thread, I was damned if I was going to let some foreigner steal our thunder, threads duly merged.

Lots of information from Andy that both Nick and I neglected (Nick due to lack of time, me due to lack of effort), so thanks to him for that.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Cracking effort Andy, cheers. If you ever fancy doing anymore then if you could let me & Matt know that'd be fantastic. Also, cheers to Matt for finishing off, I like the 'so far this year' bit, good idea.

Finally, Matt, it was wikipedia not their OS. I think I'll stick to what I was doing as what I started up there took agessssss!

Once again, cheers guys.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Jeez Matt. I think i have done a half - decent off the cuff maiden thread and then you TWO go and blow me out of the water with your offering!! Thanks for nothing!! :red: (only joking). I bow to both of you for your superior knowledge and thread writing abilities my friends. :bow: Thanks for the positive comments anyway. :scarf: COYY!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

ferrarilover wrote:Thanks to Andy for his efforts, but since Nick and I had gone to all the trouble of doing a thread, I was damned if I was going to let some foreigner steal our thunder, threads duly merged.

Lots of information from Andy that both Nick and I neglected (Nick due to lack of time, me due to lack of effort), so thanks to him for that.

Matt.
Ooh you little Englander you!! I'm actually British but have Austrian family so your taunts cannot hurt me. HA :lol: :na:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Only a foreigner would call himself "British" ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Looking forward to the game tomorrow :) (first time I've said that in a while!)

Prediction? 2-1 to the Gulls, O'Kane with both!

COYY!

:scarf:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Blimey that was a lot to read, all very good though, my brain is now full of footballing knowledge.

Hoping for the win so I can complete the family and pub regulars bragging rights double, for now. Think it will be close, but as ever I don't want to jinx things by making a prediction.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Southampton Gull wrote:Only a foreigner would call himself "British" ;-)

:lol:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

I remember the game earlier this year. After 10 minutes and a cheeky little lob from Jakey Robinson, I was thinking "Elliott who...?".

Somehow we ballsed it up, though. And with it being the week after the deflating Crawley game, the gate suffered. Not a great night, in hindsight.

Time to make amends. 2-1 us.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Yeah, remember the game well. We started like a house on fire then a director walked to the dugout and had words.

What a fiasco the aftermath proved to be.
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Southampton Gull wrote:Only a foreigner would call himself "British" ;-)
I get really narked when I get called a Brit. It really pees me off and I reply with a swift I am not British I am English! :na:
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

That last match would hopefully spur our boys on. unfortunately it's likely to have the same effect on Hereford. Or at least it will for those who played in that mess of a game.