Torquay Utd v Accrington 11/09/10

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

It's a shame that the att wont be as high they were when we started the season, shows the die hard fans, to the fair weather fans :|

(P.S - Saw Nicky Wroe and Kieran Charnock at the Kents :lol: :lol: :lol:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Apparently Benners has a knee injury. We certainly missed him today!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I admit it, I'm a failure as a fan. I never make it to Plainmoor more than once a season.
:cry:
Plymouthgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Plymouthgull »

I know i keep on going on about this but the board/club does need a strategy to increase attendences with clear targets. Its no good saying 'oh its just the S. D public' because this is not true. How is it that the scum up the road has increased attendences? We need to learn from them and others. We have a hard core of fans that are as loyal as any in the country but we need a board to recognise that they need to BUILD the fan base.
By the way both Branston and Bevan were fantastic today.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This game to me was 0.0 for all the wrong reasons,if that makes sense,just a truely awful game.

80 minutes to our first corner,bevan man of the match when i think he only made 2 maybe 3 saves,there keeper not called on once to make a save.

best and loudest chant from the torquay fans today was 'OFF,OFF,OFF' in a vien attempt to get there player who handled to ball sent off,sums up a bad,bad day at the office for tufc today.
Formerly known as forevertufc
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Truly awful game of football, one of the worst I have seen at Plainmoor.

Haven't got a good word to say about Torquay's performance. We looked clueless. No direction, no penetration, nothing. We will not stay top of the league playing like that. Without Branston and Bevan we would be a very average team.

Disappointing crowd. No atmosphere.

I've never been a great admirer of Benners, but today we really missed him. We dropped far too deep and were not putting any pressure on the Accy defence.

I have heard that Benners has had a conflict with Buckle and that is why he was not playing.
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by shaunicus »

drummergull90 wrote:I have heard that Benners has had a conflict with Buckle and that is why he was not playing.

He's injured. Buckle confirmed as such on the OS.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by drummergull90 »

Good news, the last thing we need is disunity in the dressing room at this stage.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

my match report.

nice to see my mate dave (forevertufc) as usual and thanks for the hospitality mate again.

Good to meet up with Jane, evertoned, oxgull and louis.

oh, as for the game, really glad i spent 4 1/2hrs each way in the car to watch that.

Not. :x
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

drummergull90 wrote:Truly awful game of football, one of the worst I have seen at Plainmoor.

Haven't got a good word to say about Torquay's performance. We looked clueless. No direction, no penetration, nothing. We will not stay top of the league playing like that. Without Branston and Bevan we would be a very average team.

Disappointing crowd. No atmosphere.

I've never been a great admirer of Benners, but today we really missed him. We dropped far too deep and were not putting any pressure on the Accy defence.

I have heard that Benners has had a conflict with Buckle and that is why he was not playing.
Not having a go at Drummergull, since he is merely repeating what he has heard, but...

WHY OH WHY OH WHY MUST WE HAVE THIS SAME OLD BOLLOCKS TROTTED OUT EVERY TIME A PLAYER MISSES A MATCH!?!

Not everyone who leaves the club/misses a match/gets subbed off/farts in bed has had a punch up with the manager.

If the lunatics are to be believed, Bucks has had disagreements with Jesus, Sills, Nico, Carayol and now Benners.

Do these people honestly believe we would have any players left if Bucks was such an arsehole?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:my match report.

nice to see my mate dave (forevertufc) as usual and thanks for the hospitality mate again.

Good to meet up with Jane, evertoned, oxgull and louis.

oh, as for the game, really glad i spent 4 1/2hrs each way in the car to watch that.

Not. :x
never a problem chris,and yes it nice to see some familiar faces yesterday,and to meet oxgull for the first time :)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I have to make clear like matt i am NOT having a go at drummer gull.

however i totaly agree with what matt says,it seemed to be case with last season's squad ,who was going to be first in the que to sign a new contract,i understand pro footballers and livelyhoods,however if you were not 100% happy at aclub you would at least check out your options.

not one of our players dragged there feet whilst signing a new contract,which would suggest that paul buckle is held in high regard by the players.

also was a bit shocked how quickly some turned on him yesterday,yep it was bad performance even the best teams have the odd nightmare,we have been on a fantastic run it was never going to last forever,the team need our support in the bad times aswell good.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

forevertufc wrote:I have to make clear like matt i am NOT having a go at drummer gull.

however i totaly agree with what matt says,it seemed to be case with last season's squad ,who was going to be first in the que to sign a new contract,i understand pro footballers and livelyhoods,however if you were not 100% happy at aclub you would at least check out your options.

not one of our players dragged there feet whilst signing a new contract,which would suggest that paul buckle is held in high regard by the players.

also was a bit shocked how quickly some turned on him yesterday,yep it was bad performance even the best teams have the odd nightmare,we have been on a fantastic run it was never going to last forever,the team need our support in the bad times aswell good.
That will always happen with Buckle in charge. Some fans have just never taken to him, although it does now seem to be a minority. Usually it's the same ones that have given the likes of Carlisle abuse in the past.

I wasn't at the game, but the switch to 4-5-1 at home was surprising. If we continue to play that formation, I'd love to see O'Kane more involved. It's a disappointing result, but looking at the table cheered me up last night.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Some information for yesterdays absentees:
Although we were promised rain, the afternoon turned out to be sunny and warm, with a touch of humidity. Leaving Wiveliscombe, I was filled with a sense of optimism which was unfortunately to be cruelly dashed by ten to five.
It was a dismal, depressing performance by United. Yes, the Accrington defence had clearly been given certain instructions (to park a bus in front of their goal), but a forward of any reasonable quality could easily have penetrated that defence. Unfortunately that sort of forward we do not possess.
One of the silliest Pop. side rumours was going the rounds as we gathered from two o'clock onwards: Benyon was in prison! The ridiculous rumour (begun by the usual suspect) stated that four United players had been involved in a harbourside brawl in the early hours. It was all nonsense of course....but Benyon was not on the pitch, nor on the bench, so (initially at least) some credence was given to the rumour. We certainly needed him. Throughout the match we continually lost possession, failed to make any incisive attacking moves, and generally played like a Conference side. All Buckle's spluttering later could not conceal a dire outing. To find ourselves back at the top of the league was, let's say, astonishing. However, we won't be there for long with performances like this.

My 5-star awards;
Bevan **** (solid)
Nicholson *** (o.k., but some crosses were overhit and he was beaten for pace at times)
Robertson *** and a half (solid)
Branston **** (My MoM)
Ellis **** (good, consistent)
Wroe ** and a half (given to bollocking others of he makes a mistake himself)
Stevens ** (ineffectual)
Mansell *** (ok)
Carlisle ** and a half (not back to form yet)
Zebroski *** (ok, but not very effective)
Gritton * and a half (won some headers, but back to Chesterfield please)

Subs
O'Kane *** (ok)
Macklin *** (looked promising at times)
Kee ** (a big disappointment so far)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Missed this game and a good job I did by the sound of it. A shame it seems that Buckle has reverted to type and started playing mad team formations again (it didn't take him long). Apparently it was all to do with the dry pitch (well thats what he said afterwards).
Will Billy Kee ever score? - big reputation - big let down so far. Still on the upside we are still top of the league and still in the Sherpa Van Trophy.