Torquay v AFC Wimbledon Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

What I think was touching was how Brucie came on here and praised the boys for a great result and Lingy for a very good team selection :lol:
Well done boys great result. I did not expect that at all. Does it paper over any cracks? Maybe but credit where it's due and hpefully this gives us the confidence to get a decent little run together.
Last edited by usagullmichigan on 26 Oct 2011, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Encouraging result last night. As others have said I believe Lathrope was key. Just sat in front of the back four and protected the defense well, cut out attacks and was decent on the ball bar a couple of sloppy passes. Allowed O'kane to get on the ball and create things, best performance by him this season thus far. Ellis was also superb, great to have a centre half that really goes out to attack the ball and rarely gets beaten in the air. Midson is top scorer so far this season and didn't really get a sniff, so credit to Ellis and Saah for that. I didn't think Oastler was bad as other people have suggested.

Same starting eleven on Saturday again please and lets back up this win with a result at home against Hereford as it needs to be done. Confidence should be high after last night and rightly so.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It's just occurred to me (although it's of no particular significance), we lost 5-2 at home then 4-1 away, AFCW have now lost 5-2 at home then 4-0 away.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Taiwo is such a disappointment. Brings nothing to the table IMHO. I would prefer to see Lloyd get a game.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

Taiwoeful.

As an aside, am I the only one who finds him completely hilarious? I actually find his crapness amusing. Definite cult hero.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

shaunicus wrote:Taiwoeful.

As an aside, am I the only one who finds him completely hilarious? I actually find his crapness amusing. Definite cult hero.
That's my name for him too. Last night it was funny, but when in closer games he continues to screw up, it is damn frustrating!!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Much better last night and maybe our opening goal came against the run of play, as did possibly the next 2 which could be viewed as good counter-attacking football. Atieno's lack of ability in front of goal, kind of got our 4th goal as his miscued pass was cleared straight to Howe who wellied in the 4th.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

hector wrote:Much better last night and maybe our opening goal came against the run of play, as did possibly the next 2 which could be viewed as good counter-attacking football. Atieno's lack of ability in front of goal, kind of got our 4th goal as his miscued pass was cleared straight to Howe who wellied in the 4th.
That's how I saw it. Wimbledon looked very lively in the opening stages and thankfully Bobby was in fine form, especially with the point blank save (which he held under pressure) although the move had a hint of offside about it.

The first goal came against the run of play and clearly knocked the stuffing out of them. We took advantage of that and killed it deader than sh't before half time.

Rene Howe's goals proved that when he's facing the right way, he can finish with power and accuracy.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Atieno looked so very very happy when he thought he had scored against Gillingham (it was ruled offside) He clearly is a "confidence player" and needs our support.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I agree goodluckgull. He appears to have 'potential', but has had this potential at a range of clubs and generally failed to deliver. I think he is the type of player where if his first touch is good in a game then he will play well for the rest of the game, but if he starts badly, he will invariably end badly. I think if the fans show him some backing he has more of a chance to come good for us, then it will be up to him to take it...
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Just seen the highlights on BBC website - OMG our third goal is amazing!!! :bow: Danny's pass to Eunan could've been better, but the way he lets the ball come across his body to create the space and then send a peach of a ball across first time off his left foot - amazing!

From these pictures it also seems the criticism of Taiwo in the buildup to the 4th is a little harsh, I think the ball to him should've put him through to score, but this is only going on that bit of video, I should probably believe the opinions of all you guys that were there and think he was rubbish.

Must also say that the first was a massive fluke, I think the keeper was on for some catching practise when Danny hit that shot, the deflection gave him no chance, but credit to Danny for getting into the shooting position and having a go, you gotta buy a ticket to win the lottery.
mcgull1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodny Jack Jack Jack

Post by mcgull1 »

Match Highlights.....

http://www.skysports.com/football/match ... 30,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

mcgull1 wrote:Just to make my night better, comment from BRFC fans forum...........

'Buckle go and take your useless players with you. Give the job back to Campbell and bring on the talented youngsters we have at the club. We might not go up this season or next but at least we can build for a better future and give fans some hope. Lurching from one useless manager to another is killing the club. '

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :lol: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lovin this post mcgull,just been on brfc website they are very very peeved off with buckle,i did tiiter,no i never i pissed myself with laughter, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: