Torquay v Gillingham, match day topic

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Why does Paul buckle, one of the most successful managers in our history, continue to get criticism, yet martin ling on a poor run of form gets his name sung throughout and is clapped off the pitch?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Ashamed, tripe, re-think needed and quick.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

This game was a shambles to say the very least! An absolute shocker and something needs to change at Torquay fast, or were going to be in a relegation battle I'm afraid to say.

When we kicked off I was confident that we could get something out of this game. Howe showed his strength and linked up with Eunan. Nicholson also played well with O'Kane. During a passage of play a corner was awarded which Nicholson took. The corner was good but Atieno headed the ball over the bar. Danny looked promising running down the wing with Nicholson, but when the game was just 6 minutes old former Gull little Jo Kuffour scored for the visitors. Gillingham’s goal was a defensive error on our part, no one tackling Kuffour as he put the ball past Olejnik, 0-1.

After their goal it looked like we were going to get an equaliser when Stevens, Nicholson, Mansell, Atieno combined allowing Bodin to take a shot at goal, but it was deflected wide. The resulting corner was headed over by Robertson. Following that, the game died down for a bit making the possession 50/50.

Stevens tackled well at the back when Robertson failed to head the ball away. A corner was won by the Gills and it was defended gingerly ending up in the hands of Olejnik. Kuffour still looked quality causing trouble for our defence.

Again Danny and Nicholson linked up well with Mansell who’s shot went wide. After this we had the best passage of play in this half. Eunan and Bodin were given too much space and linked up with the players around them. Stevens and Nicholson were putting in crosses but sadly nothing came of it. With another Corner, Nicholson played it in nicely, Robertson got up again without an end result. Then when the game was about 30 minutes old we had a goal that was disallowed. Stevens made a great run in the box, it came to Atieno he put the ball in the net but he was ruled offside.

Bodin and Mansell were playing well and shot at goal a couple of times, but that was only because the Gills gave us too much space in the middle of the park. We were playing quite poorly but had most of the possession and play because of the space we had. Then on 40 minutes we conceded again, Kuffour with his second. A free kick for Gillingham played in across the face of goal; the defence seemed on the back foot giving Kuffour the opportunity to score, 0-2.

The last chance we had in the half was when Nicholson and Eunan linked up, Nicholson played a pass to Atieno but his touch was poor and the keeper saved. When the half time whistle blew, the TUFC fans were extremely unhappy with the first half performance, wanting Lingy to do something to get the players performing.

When the players came out for the 2nd half Torquay reduced the deficit when we scored from a corner, within 2 minutes of the restart. The goal scorer was Robertson. In the build up, Bodin ran into the box causing the Gills to concede a corner, which Eunan took. It came to Robertson and he headed home, 1-2. After the goal we looked for another, however we needed to do some defending first to prevent a 3-1 score line. But when the game was 51 minutes old Danny Stevens scored the equalising goal. Danny took the ball into the box and he shot home, 2-2!

But the Gills weren’t out of this game, not by a long shot and they piled on the pressure. Then just 5 minutes after we scored a penalty was awarded to Gillingham. Nicholson gave away the penalty, it was a blatant trip and the visitors scored again to make the score 2-3.

Then to be brutally honest after we conceded 3 we weren’t in the game. The defence was abysmal, Gillingham played a very clever corner which baffled our defence and scrambled it away for another Gillingham corner. Kuffour leaded the charge, looking so strong and muscling our defence with ease! Rene Howe and Billy Bodin tried to get something going but there was no urgency whatsoever and the fans were getting very frustrated. A couple of chances were created but nothing came from them because of the lack of urgency. O’Kane with a free kick, but he blasted it way over the bar.

Then on 78 minutes we let in a fourth, the Gills on the break, the Torquay players all over the place and the score was 2-4 absolutely shocking!

Nicholson played in his long throw which eventually gained us another corner. Still no urgency and even when we were 4-2 down no players were up field when we were defending a corner or a throw in! At the later stages of the game a 5th goal went in, the Gillingham player chipped Olejnik with style, 2-5! When four minutes added on time was signalled every Torquay fan just wanted to go home, and most of them did.

So an absolute dire performance, it is possible relegation form that we are watching at the moment and something seriously needs to be done to sort this side out or we are going to be in a real battle to keep our football league status.

We go on to play Southend next week, and now for the ratings:

Olejnik 5.5 – I feel so sorry for him, the defence lets him down all the time. He is a class goalkeeper and he didn’t play too bad. He made an outstanding save in the first half, and I don’t think he’ll want to be here long if we keep playing like this.
Oastler 5 – Pretty poor TBH not in the game, he went forward a few times but he wasn’t all that good.
Saah 5 – He is so bad, Ellis should be playing for sure. He looks so dopey at the back and sometimes he does some stupid things. He did win a couple headers, but other than that he was poor.
Robertson 5.5 – He was ok, sometimes poor but sometimes good. He got up well when we had the corners and scored with one effort. However at the back Robbo didn’t play to well.
Nicholson 6– He was good coming forward linking up well with the players around him, played in a couple good corners, but he gave away a silly penalty.
Bodin 6 – Billy played alright, wasn’t really in the 2nd half. He was playing well in the first though and should have scored once TBH. But it wasn’t great in the second half.
Mansell 6.5 – His work rate and effort gives him a 6.5 today, even when we were 4-2 down he was still getting the ball back in play so a corner can be taken quickly. He tackled very well as well, I also feel very sorry for Manse, he is the one out of the 11 that works his socks off every game and that effort hasn’t been awarded with a win.
O’Kane 6 – He was ok, good coming forward linking with Nico, Danny and Manse, however in the 2nd half he didn’t play to well. He tackled well at times but his effort from a free kick summed up his 2nd half I’m afraid.
Stevens 6.5 – I agree to him getting the MOTM award tonight, I think he played well. Ok he didn’t do amazing but neither did anyone else. He played well running into the box and his goal was deserved. Danny used his pace to good effect for a change, when he runs at the defence he is dangerous and he should do this more often.
Howe 5 – I thought Rene had a shocker; he didn’t hold the ball up and played poorly. When a ball was played over, he just jumped with no attempt to go for the ball, very poor Rene.
Atieno 5 – Like Rene I thought he played very poorly. His touch was awful and at times he didn’t look interested.
Halpin 2 – Came on very late and did nothing, except once get the ball, run and lose it.

As I said earlier we go on to face Southend who are sitting nicely at 2nd place.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

To sum up today's performance in a word......B***ocks!

Seriously in need of some leaders on the pitch.

Saah is a joke
Howe and Atienno have no spark and look bored

Lings head was down at the final whistle as well it should be. I don't think he knows what to do and has already run out of ideas after a third of the season. Don't forget, this is the man who delivered the perfect interview to steal the job from under the noses of other candidates that were shortlisted. He turned up on decision day and blagged the job (probably because he was cheapest).

If I didn't have a ST I probably wouldn't bother coming down for the next game because our style of play is uninspiring at best.

Can't understand anybody who clapped the players off today. Where's the logic???
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

This is now SERIOUS!

The choice of Ling was wrong, he was the wrong choice, I now have no doubts about that now.

He took over a club that was in the play off final last season remember and has reduced this team to relegation fodder.

There are some good players in the team, last season proved that, but this is not a team, it is a shambles.

The board needs to reconsider the position of Ling NOW!

Cambridge fans are proving to be right, this guy has no clue!

Saah, should be dropped NOW! Ellis should play. Whatever Elllis does in training, he cannot do worse than being in a defence that concedes 5 at home!

In fact,I would put Manse back at right back, we would then have a defense near to last season. But unfortunately we are not defending as a team, and that is the problem. We then need a defensive minded midfielder on loan to take Manse's position in midfiled.

This needs sorting now, to prevent us falling further, and we surely willl if nothing is done!
TUST MEMBER
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I didn't quite see this performance as others did. Yes the defence was appalling but I thought we looked enterprising going forward and created more chances than the Gills it's just that we couldn't keep them on target.

The stats show we had 18 attempts, 9 on target and two goals. Gillingham had exactly half the number of attempts - 9 but six on target and five goals.

So I am not so critical of Atieno and Howe as others.

The worrying problem is the defence. I thought Nicho and Robbo played reasonably well but Saah and Oastler were awful. What does Saah have to do to get dropped? Where was the protection in front of the fullbacks? The goalkeeper was responsible for at least two of the goals and doesn't communicate

In my mind the rest of the team have lost their faith in the defence and this is affecting their game too.

So what are the management doing about it? Nothing according to Mr L on Radio Devon.

If it isn't sorted out soon we will be firmly in the relegation zone.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Thanks Moddy, at least I wasn't the only one. We were not good once their third went in, but up until then I though we were the better side and had been really jolly unlucky. I know we took a hammering on the scoreline today, but when you consider the first was a yard or more offside, the second was A. Never a free kick and B. TUFC were clearly of the impression that we were waiting for the whistle before the kick was taken, hence our wall not being ready. The third was a penalty, like to see it again, but probably a penner. The fourth was the stupidest goal I have seen us concede since... eerm... a fortnight ago and the fifth was a mishit cross. All in all, given that match again, a 2-2 draw might have been fair, especially since we had one chalked off.

Considering how bad we have been recently, it was an improvement. My real concern is that I'm not sure we have the options in the squad to take that improvement to the next level and actually give Southend a run for their money.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

face up to man - We are clueless. We are shite. No wins in seven and mark my words it will be no wins in seventeen if Doctor Frankenstein and his monster stay in charge' Listem to the Doctors after match interview, he is more in denial than you are.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I wondered how long it would take you Brucie. Since it's so clearly what you crave... you are a moron.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Not sure how much money I have saved but its in the hundreds of pounds by not going to watch this shite, this season. Mcphee/Saah/Rice/Leadbitter/Atieno/Halpin/Macklin/Rowe-Turner - not one of these players would get a sniff of a first team game in any other League 2 side.
Yet according to Dr Frankenstein the answer to our problems lie within the squad. And you think I am a moron. The answer lies in the fact that we have not got enough League 2 standard players.
Thats the problem pure and simple.
As someone else said we need 35 points for safety. If anyone seriously thinks we will get anywhere near that total with the players we have at the moment they are barking mad.
The board of directors has a decent enough list of candidates for the managerial job and flew in the face of reason by appointing Ling who was clueless in his last job.
God knows how he blagged himself into this job but with Tim nice but dim as chairman is it any wonder?
If anyone seriously thinks that Ling knows what he is doing then consider the article on the official site about Ellis.
Our defence is hopeless - Ellis the only worthwhile alternative cannot get a game due to golden balls Saah. Ellis asks for a transfer so Ling now says he is going to play him in the first team.
Yet he says that Ellis was poor in the reserve defeat against Cheltenham. Now if ever there was flawed reasoning that is it.
It is an unmitigated disaster unfolding as we speak.
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

well said brucie by the time we play plymouth argyle they will be above us.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

kingsgull wrote:5 points from relegation
its october for gods sake......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: its october for gods sake......
Yeah i know and cant see us getting too many points before we slide down.....when do you think we should be concerned ...May when its all over or lets all be in denial....

Things need to change NOW.....
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

Modgull wrote:The stats show we had 18 attempts, 9 on target and two goals. Gillingham had exactly half the number of attempts - 9 but six on target and five goals.
So I am not so critical of Atieno and Howe as others.
Mod, Im not that sure that Atieno or Howe had much involvement in the 9 on target (or the 18 off for that matter) so yes, I would be critical of them like most on here :S
Arse! Drink!
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

[/quote] Things need to change NOW.....[/quote]

I agree it's increasingly difficult to see where the next win is coming from, and right now can only foresee a comprehensive defeat at Southend next Saturday. But what 'things' are you suggesting need to change?!

Personally, I've been very disappointed by Shaun Taylor's contribution with the defence. This week in training he and Ling should insist Olejnik and Robertson are more vocal in organising the back four. Without this, I fail to see how the naïve Ellis will improve the situation in any way.