Stockport vs Torquay Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Have to work now! COME ON TORQUAY!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

FT 1-1
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Two points dropped? Sounds like it.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Game over 1-1. A point is better than none. Aye, should have been three.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Oh well a point is better than nothing..............
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

The worst game Ive been to this season. Both teams were very poor and no real atmosphere, stupid mistake by Bevan for the goal. Yet again Torquay never tried to get forward, every time the ball was played wide it was played along the line across the defence instead of attacking down the flanks. Zebroski was anonymous on the left when Rose came on. We shouldnt be squandering points against the likes of Stockport.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

hi everybody, by reading some of your posts 2 points dropped,didnt listen to the game today, but i like to think maybe i am positive in thinking it is a good point there and good to see eunan get on the scoresheet, and the usual hitting the woodwork AGAIN, so trying to get some positives out of this, i still believe we are going in the right direction, maybe some of you wont agree, just my humble opinion, also our beloved gulls do fustrate us all, nothing is ever straight forward with us is it, but that is why we are gulls fans, we wouldnt change it for anything..................simon :bow:
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

eastyorksgull wrote:hi everybody, by reading some of your posts 2 points dropped,didnt listen to the game today, but i like to think maybe i am positive in thinking it is a good point there and good to see eunan get on the scoresheet, and the usual hitting the woodwork AGAIN, so trying to get some positives out of this, i still believe we are going in the right direction, maybe some of you wont agree, just my humble opinion, also our beloved gulls do fustrate us all, nothing is ever straight forward with us is it, but that is why we are gulls fans, we wouldnt change it for anything..................simon :bow:
Good point well made.

And good point well made Hully...
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Poor game today. Not got time for the full match reports but a draw was a fair spread from a drab game.

We wernt really on it today, tactics were poor. Stokport had the shakiest 2 centre halves, yet we never went 2 up front to give them something to think about. Benyon worked hard but he was on his own.

With Oastler hitting the post first half, when Hemmings did it again in the second it felt like it was going to be one of those games again - fortunately this time Eunan was on hand to bury the rebound.

Their goal was a farce. We sat back on the lead, didn't pressure the ball. Their sub waltzed through some space and hit a long ranger than looked easy for bevs, who inexplicably left it to pea-roll into the bottom corner. The game ten petered out into a draw.

Morgue-like atmosphere from the home fans until they scored. Was hard for the travelling gulls to muster any atmosphere without a roof, but we were in poor voice anyway.

A result against Wycombe makes this look a half decent point. Anything less makes it look like points dropped.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by tommyg »

Just got back. I feel more disappointed to have dropped two points than pleased to have gained one. But then it's a result I would have been satisfied with pre-kick-off and on the grand scale of things, puts us one point closer to the magic 50 (or erm, play-off push...).

Playing 4-5-1, the game plan was to contain, keep our shape, pinch a goal and then defend it. And it was an effective strategy which fell apart when we switched off for 30 seconds during the second half. It was quite clear early on that this wasn't going to be the goalfest we saw at Gresty Road. One goal should have been enough to win it. So it's frustrating not to hold on to another lead, especially as Stockport weren't knocking on the door and the equaliser came from nothing.

I was happy with the first-half display. The fans were starved of goalmouth action, but we were passing the ball on the deck and controlling the flow of the game through the midfield trio of Wroe, Oastler and O'Kane. Stockport won a series of corners and had the odd shot at goal, but we were pretty comfortable and solid at the back. Going forward, we were tidy in possession but lacked the killer ball to unlock the Stockport defence. Hemmings and Zebs looked quite lively on the flanks, but their centre-halves were big and strong and were doubling up on Benyon. Still, we came closest to scoring when Ellis/Oaster (eyesight evaded me) headed against the face of the post from a Nicholson cross.

We were a little slow out of the blocks after the break. Stockport were quicker to the ball and posed a little more threat, providing one or two hairy moments, but we carved them open with a one of our best moves of the match. Zebs was heavily involved, spreading a clever pass to Hemmings on the left of the box. His shot hit the post, but a lurking O'Kane followed up to put us ahead. Cue the premature 'E-I-E-I-E-I-O' chants, although it was good to hear some noise which we struggled with in the open and cold away end. Unfortunately, that was probably our last moment of quality with the ball. We started conceding possession more regularly, but as Stockport lacked any tooth up top, we were still boasting a strong stranglehold of the game.

But then we suffered a lapse of concentration. Hemmings lost the ball on the left of the halfway line and Stockport scored from that attack. For some reason, we were reluctant to close the play down and invited them towards our own box. Tansey then shut his eyes and swung his right boot and the ball nestled into out bottom corner. It wasn't a ripper of a shot, but Bevan didn't dive. He would have saved it if there was clear air between him and the shooter, but there were bodies in the way so I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was unsighted. After that, neither team really showed enough to force home the win. Ellis almost connected with a Nico free-kick, and Zebs shot wide after a blistering run down the right, but we never forced their keeper into a save and the game faded out.

As for individual performances, some will blame Bevan for the goal. He didn't have an awful lot to do. Mansell was our weakest link in defence. You can tell he hasn't played at RB for a while. Stockport were getting some joy down that side and his clearances up the line were constantly blocked, putting us on the backfoot. Nico was terrific. He deserves great credit given that this time last year he looked completely out of his depth. His highlight was a last-ditch covering tackle after their striker had escaped the clutches of out centre-backs. Branston was just phenomenal and my MOTM. It was ugly effective defending. He kicked and headed everything. It was one of the most dominant defensive displays I've seen in a while. To think some recently wrote him off. His distribution is woeful. Even under no pressure, he'll hoof the ball out of play, but this is League Two. If in doubt, get it out. Ellis, aside from a couple of shaky clearances early in the second half was very strong alongside him.

Wroe, Mansell and Oastler mixed well in the middle. While there weren't any defence-splitting passes, all three were comfortable in possession. Wroe played a shorter passing game today and did well. Oastler adds extra bite and isn't afraid to tackle. O'Kane's passing was sometimes a little stray, but his movement was impressive and he obviously scored. Hemmings looked lively and hit the post which led to O'Kane's strike. His pace caused problems although he did lose the ball which was the start of Stockport's attack for their equaliser. Still, he's only a nipper at 17 and has bags of potential. Usual reliable performance from Zebs. Had a major hand in our goal and was one of our biggest threats. Almost won a penalty but was fouled just outside the area. Benyon had his work cut out. His only service were Bevan's bombs but his control was impressive and he held it up well. Not his fault that he was feeding off scraps. As for the subs, Kee didn't have much time to make an impact, while Rose was consistent - in giving the ball away. He really struggled when he came on.

Buckle's masterplan nearly worked, but not quite. However, it's important to remember that we didn't lose. We've only been beaten once on the road this season - it's our home form which is currently letting us down.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

hamstar wrote:The worst game Ive been to this season. Both teams were very poor and no real atmosphere, stupid mistake by Bevan for the goal. Yet again Torquay never tried to get forward, every time the ball was played wide it was played along the line across the defence instead of attacking down the flanks. Zebroski was anonymous on the left when Rose came on. We shouldnt be squandering points against the likes of Stockport.
BBC interviews from Simpson and Buckle both said we played very well, looked dangerous and deserved to win and Buckle said the atmosphere was "electric"... How strange.
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoke_Gull »

BBC interviews from Simpson and Buckle both said we played very well, looked dangerous and deserved to win and Buckle said the atmosphere was "electric"... How strange.
Obviously Buckle wasn't at the same game I was at today, both teams were very poor and neither sets of fans ever got going.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Email received=
Sir, could you please inform your members, nickgull inpeticular that Stockport is in Cheshire and defiantly not Greater manchester. Its important to us. It's like saying Torquay is in Cornwall.
Ian Dooley
Stockport County Supporters Club.
Consider yourself told! :red:
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

I can understand Mr Dooley's discomfort, and will remember that fact now. However, have just google-mapped Stockport and it does actually say Greater Manchester. Am now worried that my information to Nickgull on the Wisconsin thread may be incorrect...
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

As for Squandering points against the likes of stockport, theyre a good side, would imagine them being in the hunt for the play-offs come april/may. Any points gained away is a good point, this result wont be too bad if we win at home. Big If though, onwards and upwards anyway. Lets hope for at least a draw against Wycombe!