Stockport vs Torquay Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Stockport vs Torquay Match Thread

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The Gulls are on their travels yet again, with their satnav set for Edgeley Park in Greater Manchester, this weekend. We go to Stockport, which will be a tough game considering they came down from League One last season around, and are seemingly starting to 'get over' those consecutive 5-0 demolition jobs that were handed out to them. Our last fixture against Stockport was in the FA Cup 2nd Round last season, when, after two aborted trips to Edgeley Park, it was eventually played at Macclesfield's Moss Rose ground. However, the 4-0 demolition seemed to make up for it. Unfortunately, I can't see such an easy win this time around, although Stockport do play tomorrow night, away at Peterborough, so thats an advantage for us. The Hatters currently sit in 16th place in League Two. Finally, at the request of Ferrarilover, here is a link to the Stockport forum; however you do need to register to view unfortunately.

http://members3.boardhost.com/marionsboard/

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - League 2 - 22nd place - 52 points
2006/07 - League 2 - 8th place - 71 points
2007/08 - League 2 - 4th place - 82 points - PROMOTED VIA PLAYOFFS
2008/09 - League 1 - 18th place - 50 points
2009/10 - League 1 - 24th place - 25 points - RELEGATED TO LEAGUE 2.

Its been a bit up and down for Stockport fans since 2005. It nearly all went wrong for the Club, as they just avoided the threat of the Conference in 2006, finishing just ahead of Oxford, outside the relegation zone. The next two seasons were better watching for the supporters, with a Wembley victory over Rochdale topping it off, as they won promotion to League One. The club continued to improve, as they survived the drop by a point in 2009, but last season was a shambles. 25 points gained from 46 matches is poor, and a goal difference of -60 isn't going to get you far, as The Hatters found. Their two-year stint in League One came to an end, with the club being relegated back to League 2, finishing bottom of League 1.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Stockport wins - 21 (1 Cup win)
Torquay wins - 26 (1 Cup win)
Draws - 17

We have a decent(ish) record against Stockport. The last time the two sides met was the 4-0 FA Cup win, and other recent results have been tight. Memorable results for us Torquay fans include the 4-0 victory in April 2006 (I missed this due to breaking my wrist earlier in the day - nice one). I also remember the Torquay 1-2 Stockport game on New Years Day 2005, as Kevin Hill scored the funniest goal I've ever seen (I'm sure you all remember it too!).

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES)

DDLLDW

The two 5-0 defeats against Hereford and Morecambe are the standout results in their last 6 games, but also a fantastic 1-0 victory at Gigg Lane in the Greater Manchester Derby is extremely impressive, in my opinion. That'll do wonders for their confidence, especially with it following up a draw with Peterborough, one of the high-flyers in League One. That replay is at London Road tomorrow night.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the line up that started against Bury.

Glennon

Assoumani
Lynch
Rose
Williams

Griffin
Pulis
Turnbull
Poole

Donnelly
Fletcher

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

For me, the players to watch are the front two. George Donnelly has been their best player by a mile, according to their fans, so he will need to be watched in my eyes. Also, Wes Fletcher is a youngster also on loan, and he scored the winner against Bury. I think he will be decent, so will need to watched aswell.

PREDICTION.

Hmm, its a tough one, and I'll be happy with 3 points from this and Wycombe on Tuesday.

Draw.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Cheers for that Nick, bloody good of you to oblige my request.

As for the game, who the hell knows? I got the Barnet game spot on (order of goals and method of Barnet goal aside) 1-1 draw, terrible refereeing, awful match all correct though.

Maybe 4-0 Torquay, same as last year.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

2-2

Benyon's first gull-scorer

I expect oastler and obviously Zebs back for this one, drop Stevens and it'll have to be kee or O'kane (unfortunately) too.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

First, many thanks to NickGull for his outstanding matchday threads. Will have the television on, computer on, Radio Devon on (the radio, not gullsplayer) and mobile phone on text ready to keep mates up to date. :ugeek:

0-1

Zebroski

Hard fought game with Mansell getting his fifth yellow card.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

No worries, Matt, glad to help.

Thanks Trojan. :)

If anybody else has any other ideas that could be included in the intro, don't hesitate to PM me and I'll try and make it work. :)
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

at long last i will be making it along to my first torquay match of the season, me and my mate on the 1111 train out of sheffield
hoping for a decent game, and at least a couple of goals, we should be good enough to beat them so i'm gonna plump for 1-2 to us, benyon and okane

open away end these days, have been sat on sides both previous visits to hope this wet northern weather clears up!
still keeping the faith
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

Does anybody know which stand Torquay fans will be in, hope its not the stand with no roof
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

It is, hamstar, unfortunately.

Uncovered seating.. the best type of away stand!! :O
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoke_Gull »

Oh great, I have read somewhere that if the weather is bad they do sometimes open up part of another stand for away fans
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Really fancy a victory here, 2-0. With Lee Andrews and Stevland Angus on the scoresheet, with a clean sheet for Paul Jarvie.
COUNTYMAD
Trialist
Trialist

Post by COUNTYMAD »

The Gulls @ county

INFORMATION

It is normal for "away fans" to be allocated the uncovered seating behind the Railway end goal. Most matches however you will be able to use a section of the covered seating to the left of this stand. If the weather in really bad it is normal practise to move fans from the uncovered section into this area if they wish. I hope those travelling have a good day out albeit returning pointless and wish you the best of luck for the remainder of the season
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

See Stockport have gained some form heading into this match, must say I was feeling confident beforehand, now I'm not too sure.

Still think we'll win, 2-1 Gulls, Benyon and Kee to score early in first half.

For those going, hope the weather holds up for you.

Nickgull, brilliant matchday thread intro as normal, might have to buy you a drink in boots and laces next time i'm down for your top notch research. Keep up the hard work.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I am going for a 3-0 win to us.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

hey everybody as per usual am confident again, ok stockport playing ok at the mo, but think 3 points there 4 the taking, ok wont be easy there going for a narrow 2 1 win, zebs and kee 2 hit winner, hope you all have a great weekend.......simon
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoke_Gull »

Went to the FA cup demolition of Stockport last year at Macclesfield, Stockport were absolutely awful. Hopefully we will give them a good thrashing, maybe Gritton will finally start scoring.