Stockport vs Torquay Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Louis wrote:Email received= Consider yourself told! :red:
:(

Although I was sure it was Greater Manchester. Ahh well, I'll get it right next time :Oops:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Dear Sir,
Could you please inform your readers that Torquay, Paignton and Brixham are in South Devon and not Torbay.

Torbay is not a geographical area, it is a made up name rammed down our throats by an insidious menace.

USAT (Unitary Status Authority Torbay) is a dysfuntional collective of retards. TOR BAY however, is the wet stuff that lies offshore and is real deep. At this time of the year it is also real cold.

We (the born and bred Torquinians, Paigntonians and Brixhamites) are real proud of our other collective name known worldwide as the ENGLISH RIVIERA. :engflag:

USAT (Unitary Status Authority Torbay) no speak a da Ingleesh, so the concerns of the local populace goes unheard.

You can spot the ignorant, the gullible and the brainwashed by this sign : they all give their place of residence as Torbay. :red:

As this forum suggests and is, we are TORQUAY FANS. WE ARE UNITED. :scarf:

Yours

Che Callegge (aka Trojan 67) :lol:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Perhaps someone should tell Stockport Council who say on their website "Stockport is one of ten districts comprising the Greater Manchester city region" :lol: :lol:

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/aboutstockport1/34526/
Helen Frisby
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston (pickler)

Post by Helen Frisby »

If it's past Taunton its NORTH simples innit?
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

"Branston was just phenomenal and my MOTM. It was ugly effective defending. He kicked and headed everything. It was one of the most dominant defensive displays I've seen in a while. To think some recently wrote him off. His distribution is woeful. Even under no pressure, he'll hoof the ball out of play, but this is League Two. If in doubt, get it out.
:Oops: :Oops: :Oops: That was me. (altho' retracted since!)
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

I am surprised at the negativity from some about Saturdays game.

It was only my second game of the season, and it was bitterly disappointing not to win, but I though for an hour we played some really good stuff, and for some reason or another after we scored it seemed to fall apart a bit. Even so, Stockport barely threatened and their goal was a fluke. In general you could see who was nearer the top and who was struggling at the bottom, and these things happen in football.

There was a guy behind me critcising Zebroski through out the game, I thought he did really well, as did Hemmings, Wroe, Benyon, Branston, Nico, Ellis and Oastler.

Rose was awful, but he only played 20 minutes.

One thing which I thought we should have done more of, was shooting long range, as we have seen, and has been mentioned in another thread, we have let in plenty this season from long range, and there were a few occasions, especially Wroe, where I thought he could have had a pop, but instead we tried to walk it in a la Arsenal!

i also thought the atmosphere was fairly good, we tried to make a fair bit of noise in the section directly behind the goal, although to be fair it probably didn't carry due to open away end. I took 3 Man United fans and a Man City fan and thery all commented that the quality of passing, and the banter (although they found the westcountry accents hilarious!!) and singing better than they imagined.

I also though the Stockport fans made a lot of noise for a home side, and if we made that much noise at Plainmoor I'd be more than happy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Have seen the video on the Beeb website. Not a chance in hell that Elliot was offside for his goal. When will linesmen learn,

LEVEL IS ONSIDE!

Also, Jesus said (on Spotlight) that Scotty was unsighted, was he balls, he lost his bearings and thought it was going wide.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

ferrarilover wrote:Have seen the video on the Beeb website. Not a chance in hell that Elliot was offside for his goal. When will linesmen learn,

LEVEL IS ONSIDE!

Also, Jesus said (on Spotlight) that Scotty was unsighted, was he balls, he lost his bearings and thought it was going wide.

Matt.
Agree with all of that, watching the video back it looks like the Full back is playing Benners on. Tight, but level I think. Either way it was a good finish.

And Bevan wasn't unsighted by that shot. How do I know? I was sat right in line with it (you can see me on the highlights when the ball nestles in the net, 4th row back with black jacket!) and I could see it all the way. I didn't even realise it had gone through someones legs until I saw the football league show, I had a clear view of it from the moment it left his boot, and I was peering through the net. I think we just have to say that was a goalkeeping error, which he is entitled to the odd one after the number of times he's saved us this season.
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

No one else seems to have mentioned it on this thread but during the game on Saturday one of the Stockport defenders passes the ball back to the keeper with his shin, Benyon and several Torquay players appealed for a penalty as they thought this was a backpass which I thought it was too. The referee and the linesman waved away the protests and gestured towards their knees and shook their heads. I always thought that it was a backpass unless you headed it, am I wrong and if so when did the rule change?
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

Pretty sure it's not a backpass if you chest it back to the keeper, but i'm not sure about the shin!!! As for appealing for a penalty this would be rather odd, as an indirect free kick would be awarded inside the penalty area for a backpass, which is probably what they were appealing for.
Thanks for clarifying, probably were appealing for free kick but still seems odd.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

Jeff wrote:
I wouldn't say siiting directly behind it from the stands points to you having the same view as Bevan, as he wasn't in the stands and had a group of people in front of him. Also saying that you didn't realise it went through someones legs means you didnt have a clear view of the incident. The person whose legs it went through clearly blocked Bevans view!!

I had forgotten about the passback, that was a clear passback, and Benyon's goal was a perfectly good goal.

When you look at it like this, with Zbes shot at the end and hitting the post first half, looks like we were unlucky to only get a point!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Kernowgull wrote: I wouldn't say siiting directly behind it from the stands points to you having the same view as Bevan, as he wasn't in the stands and had a group of people in front of him. Also saying that you didn't realise it went through someones legs means you didnt have a clear view of the incident. The person whose legs it went through clearly blocked Bevans view!!

I had forgotten about the passback, that was a clear passback, and Benyon's goal was a perfectly good goal.

When you look at it like this, with Zbes shot at the end and hitting the post first half, looks like we were unlucky to only get a point!
True, but it was as close as anyone could get to having the same view of Bevan. If i could see the ball from the moment it left Tansey's boot to the moment it hit the back of the net, the professional goalkeeper had more than enough time to see it and react to it. He should have made some sort of effort, but it didn't happen. Its been and gone now, possibly cost us 2 points but he 100% earned us 2 points at Port Vale with a triple save and no doubt has earned us other valuable points too. These things happen sometimes, I'm not panning Bevan for it just wishing he'd reacted differently - I'm sure after seeing it back on TV he'd feel the same.

The backpass would have been a very generous give, as their defender was off-balance so its hard to determine whether it was intentional or not. That said, it was more of a backpass than the lightest of backpasses we got awarded at St James Park few years ago when Nico scored.

Hopefully any decisions tonight will be all in our favour, whatever they are!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

That triple save at Port Vale was absolutely incredible!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

I suppose this highlights the beauty of football. I was also sat just to the right of the goal, and it looked like a clear pass back to me, whereas the goal I didn't see until it went in.

Anyhow, you are right, with the passback and offside decision (which I couldn't see from my vantage point!!) going against us on Sat, surely we're due a few decisions today!!

Also, we are due to absolutely trounce someone after the amount of times we have hit the post!!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i went on saturday too, and truly thought it was a decent performance from us, we had much more of the ball, and were certainly prettier with it, thought we were unlucky not to have taken all 3 points really, hit post, had the strange back pass decision against us and one disallowed too. it was only after we scored and stockport made 3 subs in quick succession that we came under any pressure

i thought hemmings looked promising altho his final ball was a bit lacking

atmosphere was ok with only 200 or so gulls in an open end what did we expect?

or it could all have been down to the 4 pints of dizzy blonde i consumed in the armoury beforehand, and that it was my first game of the season too??!!
still keeping the faith