Torquay v Morecambe Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

two chances for mcphee but couldnt put either away, great save and block on line

crowd a bit livelier at last
still keeping the faith
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

DAMN IT!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

bollocks one all, ran whole length of field loose header infield by danny i think
Last edited by bixieupnorth on 01 Oct 2011, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
still keeping the faith
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

McPhee's miss was even more costly. Still 10 mins left, COYY
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Sorry if this sounds harsh but from the sounds of the commo there, thats the second time recently Nicholson has not closed a player down allowed the cross for them to score.

Obviously we'll have to wait to hear from those there and wait to watch it on the TV but I'd rather he commited himself and get it wrong than did nothing.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by tktufc91 »

COME ON UNITED!!!! WE CAN STILL DO THIS!!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by tktufc91 »

Gutted to have a win slip from our fingers, but Morecambe are a different side to the one we faced last season.

We have the foundations of a good side. We've only lost two games in the league so far this season. Keep the faith, a win is just around the corner.

See some of you at Bradford.
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

What happened between Robbo and the someone on the popside at the end of the game? Looked like Manse had to pull him away ?
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

Mcphee missed two sitters.. Danny stevens has space, makes a quality run and good cross and all mcphee has to do is put his foot through the ball.. he is 3yrds out ffs.. yet he just lays it off so their keeper can make a save, the other one, good passing play, ended up with a cross, he had a free header and only 5 yrds out.. straight at the keeper, some would say it was easier to score.. but they also missed two sitters too.

Anyway, we played kinda well, passed the ball round really nicely at times, everyone done what they had to do today.. apart from Mcphee, so all in all, a good point.
Mr Burnz
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sako

Post by Mr Burnz »

markw wrote:What happened between Robbo and the someone on the popside at the end of the game? Looked like Manse had to pull him away ?
Some bloke was given Robbo some stick during the first half, it was needless and the bloke has a k***. He kept saying 'Your shit Robertson, get ellis on'. Robbo retaliated and decided to confront the bloke after the game, nothing came of it tho from what I could see.

There was absolutely no need for Robbo to be given that much stick, he didn't even do anything wrong. I know we all pay our money and entitled to our opinion, but that was OTT.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It was Dave Harris, who, as a bloke, I like, it's just a shame that occasionally he has a mouth like a foghorn and very strong opinions about what players ought best be doing. The idea that the stewards needed to get involved, especially a good thirty minutes after the incident occurred, is madness.

As for the game, well, we have to ask ourselves how on earth Morecambe are in the top three and not the bottom three. Aside from Rotherham reject and goal scoring hero Ellison, they were pretty hopeless and certainly nothing like the quality of Rotherham or even Shrewsbury last week. We we're bloody wasteful in front of goal again, frigging McPhee (who I WANT to like) somehow managed to bugger up not one, not two, but three perfectly acceptable chances to put the game to bed. Apart from him, Morris and Lathrope were completely anonymous and everyone else was pretty good. Oastler in particular got better and better the longer the match went on.
Troj won't agree, but Stevens was really good when he came on, caused them all sorts of problems and laid one almost on a plate for Bodin, but the corner was awarded.

All in, massively disappointed with all aspects of the game, but not because we were rubbish, but because Morecambe were there for the taking and we managed to fall foul to their one moment of quality and a keeper who will never, and I mean NEVER, have a better game.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I think the best way to sum up the game was that we gave away 3 points today. Morecombe didn’t perform to the best of their ability, to be honest neither did we, but if anyone deserved the victory today it was us. So the points were shared and the fans went away a little unhappy.

When the game kicked off we made a good start with O’Kane, Nicholson and Taiwo linking up well. Ian Morris was getting up well to flick balls on with his head and linking up well with Nicholson, winning a free kick.

The Midfield linked up well with the front men winning a good few corners. One of which Eunan O’Kane struck the ball high with great skill. Robertson got up to head towards goal, but he was blatantly pulled down and a penalty should be been given but it wasn’t.

At this stage of the game Morecombe were putting in a few dangerous crosses in open play and from corners. Both teams were tackling with strength in the middle of the park.

Billy Bodin and Joe Oastler linked up well winning a corner and after this, for a few minutes the possession of play was 50/50. Eunan, Bodin, Nicholson and Morris were linking up well to cause more trouble for the Morecombe defence.

The shrimps won a corner when the game was about 15 minutes old but nothing came of it. We gave Morecombe too much time and space without causing us too much danger.

I think we missed Howe today, Taiwo tried his hardest to maintain possession but he couldn’t really hold the ball up at times. However he linked up with the midfield and got into good positions in the box. By doing so he made himself a good target when balls were played into the box. Bodin played a good ball into the path of Atieno he shot towards goal but it went wide. Bodin, Eunan and Oastler again linked up well and Oastler also tackled very well. After this little flurry of good play by Torquay the possession was again 50/50.

After the two teams had share of possession Joe Oastler and Eunan O’Kane were playing well and creating chances. Nicholson was playing well up and down the pitch.

Morecombe however were still in this game, their wide men kept putting in dangerous crosses. Saah did pretty well defending against a strong, tall Morecombe forward.

O’Kane and Morris played very well together, also Nicholson, created goal scoring opportunities. We won another Corner. O’Kane took it, Oastler got on the end of it but he headed wide. Saah tried to prevent the ball from going out of play but he couldn’t do so.

Bodin shot well at goal but his effort was saved, seconds later Olejnik was made to make a save as well. At this point it was end to end stuff!
O’Kane tackled well when coming back to defend, also Morris played well. Nicholson and Mansell linked up well, then joined up well with Lathrope and Oastler.

The Srimps then had a near chance again by the Gulls giving their players too much space, causing trouble for Robertson and Saah. Morecombe seemed to be on top at this time, but they were making silly mistakes and weren’t causing too much danger.

We too made mistakes at times; however at this stage of the game our passing game was good. O’Kane and Nicholson were linking up really well, also with Morris who tried to make a cross but sadly the hard work came to nothing.

Corners again were won by Morecombe, but Bobby Olejnik did well to clear the danger.

Nicholson and Morris combined well again, Nicholson put in a good cross that reached Bodin. He shot towards goal but it was saved pushed onto the post and that was the last chance in the first half.

In the 2nd period Morecombe looked the stronger side; they kept the ball well and caused Bobby to prove that he is very solid. But after a few minutes we started to get into the game again with Eunan and Mansell looking a threat. Nicholson crossed well, again reaching Bodin but he didn’t have time to shoot at goal as the cross was cleared.

A foul was given for 50/50, it didn’t seem too bad but the Morecombe player was taking off on a stretcher.

Robertson and Nicholson were defending and heading well. Nicholson, Bodin and Oastler started to play just like they did in the 1st half. A ball came into the box but Taiwo didn’t manage to head towards goal. It seemed that we were on top now; Oastler looked the pick of the bunch coming forward.

Morecombe still created chances causing our defence to defend to the best of their ability.

Then when the game was just an hour old the first goal was scored and it was for Torquay and the guy to thank was the captain Lee Mansell! The Morecombe keeper scuffed the ball away, Bodin was involved, and it came to Mansell who ran into the box and placed the ball into the corner, 1-0.

As soon as we scored Morecombe tried hard to get an instant equaliser, our defence and keeper had to work very hard to prevent the shrimps from equalising.

Then Plainmoor probably witnessed the miss of the season. Terrible defending on our part, the Morecombe forward was left on his own six yards from goal, only to shoot over the bar from a cross, shocking defending and a shocking miss.

It was all Morecombe, piling on the pressure. A deflected Morecombe shot that went wide and Bobby did well from the corner. However Mansell and Bodin didn’t sit back they both tried to get a 2nd goal.

Taiwo Atieno off for Danny Stevens and Ian Morris off for Chris Mcphee. That change seemed like a strange one, but the two subs linked together, Mcphee pushed a through ball to Stevens. Danny ran into the box but the ball was cleared for a corner.

It looked like we were going to get a 2nd goal, but it was Morecombe who got the next to make the score line read 1-1, on 82 minutes. A ridiculous mistake from Stevens heading across the pitch to the Morecombe player who was not challenged at all in the middle of the park. He went around Bobby cleverly and put the ball in the net!

Billy Bodin was the first to attempt to get the Gulls back into a winning position. A ball was played to Mcphee. Chris Mcphee headed towards goal, but he headed straight to the keeper! A glorious chance not taken.

Bobby Olejnik then needed to make a terrific save to keep the score the same.

When the fourth official signalled that there was 5 minutes of injury time to be played it was all Torquay. Nearly every player was up trying to get a winning goal. A free kick was won in the final seconds. Nicholson took it but the cross was cleared and that was the last chance of the game.

So after all that the points were shared and we threw away 3 points. We gave Morecombe too much time and space, but we played well at times. We now go on to play Bradford next Saturday.

Now for the Ratings:
Olejnik 8 – Bobby did well, he kept us in the game a few times and made some good saves. He had a couple dodgy moments but all in all he had a pretty decent game. His kicking was good as well.
Oastler 9 – My MOTM today, I thought Joe had a great game! He tackled really well and linked up fantastically well with the front men when coming forward. I really enjoyed watching him play today, well done Joe!
Saah 8 – I think Brian had a pretty decent game. He did well up against Morecombe’s big centre forward.
Robertson 8 – The same as Saah to be honest, Robbo had a pretty decent game. I saw him tackle well and head well at the back.
Nicholson 9 – Nico played very well also. He linked up well with the players coming forward just like Oastler. He also tackled and headed well.
Mansell 8.5 – Manse once again played well and put in 100% effort. His goal was also top class. I give him an 8.5 and not a 9 because I thought that he was not really in the game in the first half, but came to life in the 2nd.
Lathrope 7.5 – I am not a big fan of Damon, and I don’t think he was in the game much today. He did link up with Nico and Manse once or twice but other than that he didn’t do much.
O’Kane 9 – Eunan played well and linked up well with the players around him. He got stuck in, and played well on and off the ball.
Morris 8.5 – I thought Ian played very well in the first half, linking up well with Nico and Eunan. He showed his sloppy play at times but that can’t dampen his performance today. I gave him an 8.5 not a 9 because he wasn’t really in the 2nd half (before he came off.)
Atieno 8.5 – Taiwo played well, he linked up with the wingers and his work rate was top class. He didn’t hold the ball up like Rene Howe but that’s understandable as he doesn’t have the big presence like Howe does. But all in all he created chances and didn’t deserve to be taken off in my eyes.
Bodin 9 – Billy played very well and was a candidate for MOTM in my eyes. He worked his socks off and linked up well with players around him. He is a top class player!
Mcphee 6 – He linked up with Stevens when they both came on, but he missed a glorious chance to knick a winner.
Stevens 5.5 – He made a couple of good runs, but he was the first to be at fault for Morecombe’s goal by heading across the pitch!

As I said earlier on we now go on to play Bradford on Saturday.
Last edited by Colorado Gull on 02 Oct 2011, 14:08, edited 4 times in total.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

Gutted to hear we didnt finish the job today, some great reads and match reports guys. hopefully the robbo incident won't get to much attention seem out off character for robbo to lose his rag at a fan, that fan must of been a right geezer hahaha
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ferrarilover wrote:It was Dave Harris, who, as a bloke, I like, it's just a shame that occasionally he has a mouth like a foghorn and very strong opinions about what players ought best be doing. The idea that the stewards needed to get involved, especially a good thirty minutes after the incident occurred, is madness.

As for the game, well, we have to ask ourselves how on earth Morecambe are in the top three and not the bottom three. Aside from Rotherham reject and goal scoring hero Ellison, they were pretty hopeless and certainly nothing like the quality of Rotherham or even Shrewsbury last week. We we're bloody wasteful in front of goal again, frigging McPhee (who I WANT to like) somehow managed to bugger up not one, not two, but three perfectly acceptable chances to put the game to bed. Apart from him, Morris and Lathrope were completely anonymous and everyone else was pretty good. Oastler in particular got better and better the longer the match went on.
Troj won't agree, but Stevens was really good when he came on, caused them all sorts of problems and laid one almost on a plate for Bodin, but the corner was awarded.

All in, massively disappointed with all aspects of the game, but not because we were rubbish, but because Morecambe were there for the taking and we managed to fall foul to their one moment of quality and a keeper who will never, and I mean NEVER, have a better game.

Matt, the girly guy with an orange car.
opinions are fine, but what a c**k.

good job it wasnt cantona........
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:It was Dave Harris, who, as a bloke, I like, it's just a shame that occasionally he has a mouth like a foghorn and very strong opinions about what players ought best be doing. The idea that the stewards needed to get involved, especially a good thirty minutes after the incident occurred, is madness.

Matt, the girly guy with an orange car.
Firstly, sorry for no thread start guys.

Secondly, I think you're being a bit harsh on Morecambe here. They were good -certainly top 10 material. They've a good attacking unit with Price, Carlton and Ellison. You say they weren't as good as Shrewsbury, who you thought were bad last week?

Indeed, I agree we were wasteful, McPhee and Atieno seem to be having a competition between them to see which one can be the worst - both dreadful in my mind. O'Kane did well again, deserved MOTM for me. I disagree about Lathrope - I felt he did the holding role well, played the simple ball and broke up attacks, and got stuck in.

Also, their keeper never having a better game?! Don't recall him making too many outstanding saves - just we were wasteful and we need to apply a Shoot On Sight approach if we're to start scoring more, instead of looking for the extra pass and then losing possession.