Torquay v Morecambe Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

ferrarilover wrote:Hahaha, with regard to your point F'rever, about the phrase N** N**, I stand with a bloke who follows Liverpool. He had terrible trouble remembering the name of N'Gog, so he called him N** N** instead, much to the amusement of all and sundry.

Matt, the girly guy with an orange car.
To me Matt ,it depends in what context a person says it in as to what you mean, to me there is a massive difference form someone who says, "the lad up front for Bolton whats his name, you know who i mean the N/N fellow, giggle,giggle" to " oh that usless bloody N/N is on the ball"

Maybe i am being over fussy, if so fair enough, i dont like the P/C brigade any more than the next person, however there is a line, sadly some cross it, and then use "well i am not P/C" as an excuse for there actions.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I thought after we went in front we would sneak a win, even though they missed at least three good chances sent over the bar. I thought McPhee should have tucked away at least two good chances.

Then Stevens comes on :@ , carelessly gives the ball away with an awful header, and it's another draw. :(
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not having a go at anyone here, but how can we single out Stevens for blame over the Morecambe goal, yes his header went astray, however Ellison picked up the ball 10 yards inside morecambe's half.

I mean this as construtive critcism, seen the goal back, ask yourself a question where was Nicholson, Saah, Robbo, Oastler, yep our starting back four, wish Nicho had been a bit closer with his attempted trip, because the other three are no where to be seen, and then of course the central midfield, Lathrope and O'kane are missing in action aswell, Mansell is the only player back.

So come on nobody can soley blame Stevens for that, yes he has made a mistake, but from there, there is no way all year long , that should end up in a Morecambe goal, that one goes down to whole team.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Dorothy (Stevens) or should it be Toto (?), makes too many giveaways like that seen on Saturday.

Don't even argue with the following, as it is accepted wisdom from experience from within the game :

99% of goals conceded have their root cause as loss of possession.

Dorothy lost possession. :@
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thats as maybe troj, however nobody can argue this either, there some attributes to defending, width in defence..cutting out the space, depth in defence... marking the runners, Balance in defence...the defenders should not sat all to the left or right.

Yes of course 99% of goals conceeded come that way, however when Morcambe scored our team had, no width,no depth or no balance to the defence because no of them were there, now that deserves a :@ , no way was this goal totaly down to Danny Stevens.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Not totally, yes. Initially, aye.

The simple ball was definitely on. Dorothy failed to make it. It wrong footed Nico and the "chase" was on. :(
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I think that it was a bad decision from Ling's behalf, bringing on Mcphee and Stevens. We were winning the game; it didn't look like Morecombe were going to score, so why change it? Both Stevens and Mcphee have had poor performances in recent times so why bring them on? Mcphee missed a couple glorious opportunities to score and Stevens had a big role to play in the lead up to Morecombe's goal. You never head the ball across the pitch without knowing a player on your team is 100% going to get the ball. It was a ridiculous error from Danny, but I also agree with Forever. As soon as Ellison retrieved the ball thanks to Danny, only Mansell was defending (while Nico was tracking back) and that's poor. However if Stevens just got the ball down, rather than giving away possession, I think that we would definitely come away from the game on Saturday with the 3 points.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed Troj/Danny, it was poor decision making on Danny Stevens part, however borne from a lack of confidence, a confident Danny Stevens as we have seen in the past would have got the ball down and had a run at there full back.

However i am 100% sure that Martin Ling back in the changing rooms would not have turned to Danny and asked what he was thinking about, he would have asked the whole team to explain why all four defenders and the entire midfield bar Mansell were up supporting an attack when there was no need, they were winning 1.0 with 8 minutes to go, Lingy and Taylor would not have coached them to that, thats something the team have done of there own backs.

Regardless of Danny's error if the team had held its shape and doen what it was supposed to do, with one defender up supporting the other three should have sat in and stepped across one to plug the gap, i.e balance in defence, Ellison would have had a bit of a job on to score from that position.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

It's gone now. I was hoping for 3pts, we got on reflection what was probably all we deserved : 1pt.

Bratfud away next game and "shake hands" time with Branstonbauer.
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

forevertufc wrote:Agreed Troj/Danny, it was poor decision making on Danny Stevens part, however borne from a lack of confidence, a confident Danny Stevens as we have seen in the past would have got the ball down and had a run at there full back.

However i am 100% sure that Martin Ling back in the changing rooms would not have turned to Danny and asked what he was thinking about, he would have asked the whole team to explain why all four defenders and the entire midfield bar Mansell were up supporting an attack when there was no need, they were winning 1.0 with 8 minutes to go, Lingy and Taylor would not have coached them to that, thats something the team have done of there own backs.

Regardless of Danny's error if the team had held its shape and doen what it was supposed to do, with one defender up supporting the other three should have sat in and stepped across one to plug the gap, i.e balance in defence, Ellison would have had a bit of a job on to score from that position.
Were they by any chance up front for a corner which got cleared out to Stevens?

That would explain why Nico and Mansell were the 2 covering players that Ellison had to contend with. Pretty much every corner weve had this season has just had either Oastler and Mansell or Nico and Mansell as the covering players so if the players did it off their own back, theyre doing it pretty damned regularly.
Arse! Drink!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Father Jack wrote: Were they by any chance up front for a corner which got cleared out to Stevens?

That would explain why Nico and Mansell were the 2 covering players that Ellison had to contend with. Pretty much every corner weve had this season has just had either Oastler and Mansell or Nico and Mansell as the covering players so if the players did it off their own back, theyre doing it pretty damned regularly.
Last week i thought you could be Paul Buckle, i am now thinking you are Shaun Taylor you need to some work in training this week Shaun some of the defending has not been great :rofl:

The awful pass to Stevens i think came from Lathrope not from the corner, by then you would have thought our team would have been dropping back in, but still its gone now as Troj says, been fun talking about it though :)
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

forevertufc wrote:Last week i thought you could be Paul Buckle, i am now thinking you are Shaun Taylor you need to some work in training this week Shaun some of the defending has not been great :rofl:

The awful pass to Stevens i think came from Lathrope not from the corner, by then you would have thought our team would have been dropping back in, but still its gone now as Troj says, been fun talking about it though :)
By the looks of it, corner was cleared out to Lathrope who headed to Stevens, who headed to...well, we know the rest...The defence had no time to get back into position.
Arse! Drink!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

stevegull wrote:Scrap that Nick, i think super did it.... :P

On another note, fans are entitled to their opinion, but from what forevertufc has said there is no place for that at a football game, just imagine being the player hearing that abuse, it's hardly going to inspire them to bring up a big performance. Also, if i was a parent of a child who heard that language i would seriously reconsider allowing my child to the game. At a time when we need gate numbers to rise we need to make Plainmoor a more welcoming and less threatening environment when things aren't going the teams way.
yes i did! =D

good ol MTGGWAOC................... :clap:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Super did what? Change ferrari's name so that it became MTGGWAOC??

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Super did what? Change ferrari's name so that it became MTGGWAOC??

no you plonker.

instead of that i put it in capitals.

thought hed like it........................
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468