League 2: Shrewsbury Town vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I listened to the game on Radio Devon and later on watched the "highlights" on the Football League Show. I've since watched the extended "highlights" on BBC Sport . .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15054943.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the first Shrews goal, look at the positioning of Mansell and Oastler (especially Oastler and particularly what both players are doing.

Aye, they are both committing the cardinal football sin : both are f'kin ball watching and not watching the danger moving between them. :@

Oastler is the main one at fault. He can see the player moving through unmarked. Does he give Mansell a shout ? No he f'kin well doesn't.

Oastler is a fullback. What the f'k is he doing that far up in midfield when he should be tucked in behind his centre backs when the attack is down the other flank ? :@

If I can see it, you can see it and so can the management. It's what they do next that counts. If I was in charge, I'd bomb Oastler out then watch his performances in training with reference to the above points. If his positioning and calls don't improve with coaching in training then he stays out of the starting line up.

Too casual in the opening minutes and it's got to f'kin stop ! :@
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I was more angry at the second goal, Troj. What on earth Mansell thought when he chipped a back pass back..?!?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

NickGull wrote:I was more angry at the second goal, Troj. What on earth Mansell thought when he chipped a back pass back..?!?
Aye, that was "cracker" too. :@

I was coached that a back pass is to one side of the goal or t'other. At least it gives the 'keeper a chance of "slicing it" away from the danger zone.
gullsrus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by gullsrus »

i much prefer oastler in midfield personally but i really do think you are being very harsh on him regarding saturday when i actually thought he was one of the better players. what gets my goat is that there are certain fans favourite players in this team and no matter how crap they play thay will not be at fault. imo these are the experienced older players who should be "bombed " and there were a few out there on saturday who certainly didn't deserve to wear the shirt as well as oastler. come on lets get some truly honest opinions and not go scapegoating !!!!
lovinthatsurf
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: mansell

Post by lovinthatsurf »

gutted i missed it..thanx for the reports and opinions tho..cheers
in vino veritas
fallaces sunt rerum species
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

lovinthatsurf wrote:gutted i missed it
You shouldn't be. ;-)
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

gullsrus wrote:i much prefer oastler in midfield personally but i really do think you are being very harsh on him regarding saturday when i actually thought he was one of the better players. what gets my goat is that there are certain fans favourite players in this team and no matter how crap they play thay will not be at fault. imo these are the experienced older players who should be "bombed " and there were a few out there on saturday who certainly didn't deserve to wear the shirt as well as oastler. come on lets get some truly honest opinions and not go scapegoating !!!!
Im not convinced that Trojan is "scapegoating". You look at Rotherham and earlier matches and J O was getting a right royal run around. He looks totally different from the assured player he was in the pre season matches (though, to be fair, so do several other players).
Perhaps you should look at where the goals we let in this season have come from in the build up? Ive seen posted elsewhere, something showing the breakdown of goals conceded, the most common direction is balls in from the right back area (6 out of 14).
Feel free to look back at the season so far and correct me if im wrong?
Arse! Drink!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Father Jack wrote: Im not convinced that Trojan is "scapegoating". You look at Rotherham and earlier matches and J O was getting a right royal run around. He looks totally different from the assured player he was in the pre season matches (though, to be fair, so do several other players).
Perhaps you should look at where the goals we let in this season have come from in the build up? Ive seen posted elsewhere, something showing the breakdown of goals conceded, the most common direction is balls in from the right back area (6 out of 14).
Feel free to look back at the season so far and correct me if im wrong?

dont worry mate - someone will! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Father Jack »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
dont worry mate - someone will! =D
They might, but having counted carefully, Im pretty sure im right :)
Arse! Drink!
gullsrus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by gullsrus »

i dont need to look back at the season as my memory serves me well and i am certainly not going to correct you 8/ however my point is that probably all the goals conceded so far this season are down to more than one player in the build up and not a single player. basically what your saying is that the first goal is oastlers fault not nicho or mansell !!! next you'll be blaming him for the second goal too
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Father Jack »

gullsrus wrote:i dont need to look back at the season as my memory serves me well and i am certainly not going to correct you 8/ however my point is that probably all the goals conceded so far this season are down to more than one player in the build up and not a single player. basically what your saying is that the first goal is oastlers fault not nicho or mansell !!! next you'll be blaming him for the second goal too
Im not particularly pointing the finger at anyone. I think you will find that Trojan has a strong opinion on it though.

Im pointing out that the majority of goals this season have come from the right back area, so that has to be looked at by the management. Doesnt matter if its down to J O getting the run round by the opposing left wingers, or not enough support from the right winger when he's under pressure, its still where most of the goals have originated from.

That probably illustrates what Trojan was saying quite well. J O caught upfield, I think its Damo trying to get close enough to tackle and Saah/Robbo being dragged too far out to the right with a 2 on 2.
Arse! Drink!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Won't be long before Leadbitter gets a go, I reckon.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Yeah, i'd agree with that Nick. Ling seems to rate him highly based on his quotes so far on trying to get him back to fitness. Interesting one for us, the fans, as i'm guessing none of us have ever seen him play?
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
gullsrus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by gullsrus »

we are losing the game at this point it is likely oastler was told to push on here,in fact i did spot ling call him over at one point . if this is the case it would be expected for someone to provide cover for him as after this saah got the run around and they hit the post but of course that was oastlers fault. i am sure you can find lots of still pictures like the one above where certain other players may be "out of position" and i look forward to seeing them. dont get me wrong i actually prefer oastler in midfield as ive said before but finding pictures like the one above is in my opinion a tad scapegoat-ish . lets get behind the lad and stop being negative. :-D
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Trojan 67 wrote:I listened to the game on Radio Devon and later on watched the "highlights" on the Football League Show. I've since watched the extended "highlights" on BBC Sport . .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15054943.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the first Shrews goal, look at the positioning of Mansell and Oastler (especially Oastler and particularly what both players are doing.

Aye, they are both committing the cardinal football sin : both are f'kin ball watching and not watching the danger moving between them. :@

Oastler is the main one at fault. He can see the player moving through unmarked. Does he give Mansell a shout ? No he f'kin well doesn't.

Oastler is a fullback. What the f'k is he doing that far up in midfield when he should be tucked in behind his centre backs when the attack is down the other flank ? :@

If I can see it, you can see it and so can the management. It's what they do next that counts. If I was in charge, I'd bomb Oastler out then watch his performances in training with reference to the above points. If his positioning and calls don't improve with coaching in training then he stays out of the starting line up.

Too casual in the opening minutes and it's got to f'kin stop ! :@

At the top of the post I made it clear how I "viewed" the game. How they got possession of the ball to move forward and score the first goal I don't know. What can be seen is Oastler way out of position and half heartedly jogging back when there is a clear and present danger in full view of him.

I see someone out of position who could have done more to deny an opposition player a strike on goal. Oastler will soon have competition for the right fullback slot and will have to up his game and concentration levels to keep his place. Oastler is well capable of doing the right fullback job.

Over to you Shaun : tailor Joe's play from the holding midfielder that he was last season into the right fullback that he is this season.

Oastler isn't the player I single out repeatedly for criticism, that pleasure is reserved for Danny f'kin Stevens. :@ :@ :@ :rofl: