League 2: Shrewsbury Town vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

League 2: Shrewsbury Town vs Torquay United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Greenhous Meadow
Saturday 24th September 2011
KO: 3pm

Back on the road after two consecutive games at Plainmoor, and our destination this time is to the Greenhous Meadow, home of Shrewsbury Town FC. Shrewsbury have started off very well and, after last weekends victory at local rivals Port Vale, they sit in 3rd place in the table. Many expect Shrewsbury to be promoted this year, after we ended their hopes last season, with that 2-0 aggregate victory over two legs. We've a good record against the Shrews, so I for one am hoping that we can continue it on Saturday!

GULLS NEWS.

I think everybody is fit and raring to go for this one. We've had the fortunes of having a week off, while our hosts were down in London on Tuesday to play out a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Arsenal, in the Carling Cup. Daniel Leadbitter is still on his way back to full fitness.

THE OPPOSITION.

As usual, I'll start with the manager, and that man is the experienced Graham Turner. Another manager with a wealth of lower league experience. A hero at Shrewsbury, having made 355 appearances for the Salop over a 10 year spell. Through those years, he took charge of the Shrews, between 1978 and 1984, before moving on to Aston Villa. Skipping through another decade, where he managed at Villa and Wolves, he took over at Hereford, where he stayed for 14 years. He left Hereford for the Shrews in 2010, and has been in charge at Greenhous Meadow ever since.

On the pitch then, and I'll start with the keepers. Their first choice keeper is Ben Smith. The 25 year old came through the Newcastle ranks, but failed to become a senior there, so he moved onto Doncaster. He spent 4 years at Doncaster, with loans out to Lincoln and Morecambe, before moving to Shrewsbury in 2010. His back up is Chris Neal, who has been at Greenhous Meadow since 2009. The former Preston keeper has made 29 appearances for the Salop.

Onto the back four then. At right back, we'll be likely to see Jermaine Grandison, who you all love. The youngster got sent off for a reckless lunge at Jake Robinson in our 5-0 demolition job of the Shrews in March. He joined the Salop in 2011. On the other side of defence will be Joe Jacobson. Jacobson was involved with us before, way back in November 2006. We were all set to sign him, but Chris Roberts failed to sanction the deal, so it didn't happen. Instead, he's been at Accrington, Bristol Rovers, Oldham, Accrington and now finds himself at Shrewsbury. In the heart of defence, the pairing at the Emirates was former Gull Reuben Hazell, who doesn't need much introduction. I'd expect him to get a warm reception. His partner was a youngster, Connor Goldson, who has made 3 appearances since turning pro at GM. Other options in defence are Ian Sharps and Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, but I have a feeling both may be injured. Carl Regan provides back up for the full back positions.

Into the middle of the park, now. In the engine room, another former Gull, Nicky Wroe will take a place, and his partner on Saturday was Sean McAllister. Wroe has made a good impact on the side this year, fast becoming a key player for the Salop. His partner McAllister, who made 68 appearances for Sheffield Wednesday before joining Shrewsbury, has a fair bit of experience for his age. On the wings, it'll be likely that we'll be up against pacy wingers, in Mark Wright and Lionel Ainsworth. Wright is one of the best wingers in the division, in my opinion, and he chips in with a fair few goals aswell! A product of the Walsall youth system, he made 124 appearances for the Saddlers, before moving to MK Dons. He has spent spells at Brighton, Bristol Rovers and Shrewsbury since then. Ainsworth, who played at Derby County in his youth, has been out on loan to numerous teams - he has only been permanently at Derby, Hereford, Watford, Huddersfield and now Shrewsbury, where he has made 42 appearances, scoring 10. Other midfielders at the club are Steven Leslie, who can play anywhere across the midfield, M a t t Richards, Luke Male, Ryan Woods and Jon Taylor, the Shrews own youth prospect who was one of their best players in the playoff games, I thought.

Finally, the attack line at the club seemed weakened by Matt Harrold leaving for Paul Buckle and Bristol Rovers. However, his replacement, Marvin Morgan has hit the ground running, scoring 7 in total, already. He scored a corker at Port Vale last Saturday, too. His partner on Tuesday was James Collins, who was on loan at the Salop last year. The former Aston Villa youngster scored their goal at the Emirates, and made the permanent move in the summer. Other strikers at the club are Tom Bradshaw, the other promising youngster from the youth system, and Terry Gornell, who moved from Accrington in the summer.

HOW THEY LINED UP.

Ben Smith

Jermaine Grandison
Reuben Hazell
Connor Goldson
Joe Jacobson

Mark Wright
Nicky Wroe
Sean McAllister (M a t t Richards 72)
Lionel Ainsworth (Jon Taylor 78)

James Collins (Tom Bradshaw 72)
Marvin Morgan

Subs: Neal, Leslie, Richards, Taylor, Bradshaw, Male.

REF WATCH.

CARL BERRY
Nick Hobbis and Robert Ellis
Fourth Official Wayne Barratt

Mr Berry is the man in the middle for this game. He has done 4 games, all at League 2 level this year, giving out 18 yellows and 1 red. He's fairly new to the refereeing scene, and he was in charge for our narrow 1-0 defeat at Aldershot in March last year, so any of you who were and can remember if he was any good (hard to remember, I know), that'd be helpful.

PREDICTION.

Even though they played on Tuesday, I just think our good run against the Shrews is about to end.

Shrews 3 - 1 Gulls.

EDIT: Had to edit the M a t t Richards name! :lol:
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

An excellent an informative preview, as ever.
I think 1-1. :zzz:
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

18 yellows and one red in 4 matches, fecking hell, don't bank on it finishing 11-a-side then.

They are all very confident of giving us a right good hiding, it's amazing what one goal against Arsenal can do for confidence and expectations.

I think Macklin will be back, although quite who he'll replace remains to be seen. Be interesting to see who starts at RB, since Leadbitter came through his reserve match unscathed, but JOastler did nothing wrong in the last match.

They are, as far as I can see, largely the same team they were when we won 8-1 on aggregate over 4 matches last season, and, although Marvin Morgan is a perfectly decent player, I think we'll deal with him competently enough (given the telling off they'll have had for the last two games).

Accordingly, I'm going for the classic 2-1 to the Torquay boys, with goals from Howe and Bodin.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

Nice one nickgull, got a bad feeling about this one but i'll go for a hopefull 2-1 torquay :scarf:
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

From the ridiculous to the sublime with matchday threads and the time they appear prior to matches. Good work Nick.

I fancy another draw, 1-1, maybe McPhee to score.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I'm not going :| :no: :O :slap:

I think we will win and keep a clean sheet.

I want to go home, I want to go home.... Shrewsbury's a sh!t hole, I want to go home
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Awayday wrote:I'm not going :| :no: :O :slap:

I think we will win and keep a clean sheet.

I want to go home, I want to go home.... Shrewsbury's a sh!t hole, I want to go home
Is that why you are not going Paul? :whistle:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I'll be making the trip up :)

I think that it'll be another draw (1-1) but as it's agaisnt Shrewsbury away I don't think it'll be a bad point!

COYY!!

:scarf:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
ShrewsFan
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Robinson

Post by ShrewsFan »

Hi all, long time no speak. Quick correction to the opening post, Jermaine Grandison has played the last two matches at centre back, young Goldson has been filling in a right back, both have done very well. I think we will have the same back four from Arsenal against you owing to injuries to Regan, Sharps and Sherriff. In midfield and attack we look frighteningly threatening with Wright and Ainsworth's pace and trickery on the wings, Ainsworth in particular has really stepped up his game from last season. Morgan has also made a huge impact with his pace and power and ability to make things happen, and Gornell has showed himself to have super link up play and a great footballing brain, before getting sent off against Hereford. I'd expect him to replace Collins in our starting line up, despite his super goal vs Arsenal. Also yet to mention our central midfield pairing of Wroe and McAllister, who are both in the best form of their short Shrewsbury careers and are currently bossing the opposition midfields and running games. We're in really good form, in the league we've won 5 of our last 6 after a slow start, however your decent start hasn't gone unnoticed and I notice you're yet to lose away from home in the league.

Anyway, you guys, looks like a really changed team and of course a new manager, would you say you're stronger than last season or weaker? Howe and Bodin seem to have made good starts for you, we're not keeping many clean sheets, I can definetly see you scoring.

Safe trip up to all who come on Saturday, I think it will be a really close game, but sorry for you guys but I can see us nicking it by the odd goal :whistle:
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

How about this for a shout:

McPhee for a hat trick.

Watch this space (but you may be watching a while)
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

2 -2 O'Kane, Bodin.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I correctly forecast Shrewsbury 1 Plymouth Argyle 1, and now I forecast Shrewsbury 1 Gulls 2, so it'll be another draw....
markygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by markygull »

Anyone else going up by train?

I know that you go past the stadium on the train and think ' oh must be getting off soon...' only to stay on the train for another 5-8 minutes, etc.

Just wondering how people get to the ground? Im guessing Taxi. In which case any fellow Gulls wanna share a cab to keep costs down?

My train gets in at Shrewsbury around 11:50am
Champions League Winners 4 years in a row 2033 - 2036 with TUFC on FM2010 :)
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Hi Shrewsfan. Thanks for your comments. Yes, I think, all round, we are a stronger/better team than last season.
Should be a nice trip "Up North" Can see you getting maybe getting a couple of goals, but I reckon we will run out 3-2 winners. Just hope we can score first and not have to come from a goal down. :)
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

BBC build up here with lingy interview http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14958242.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...