Northampton vs Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Northampton vs Torquay

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Sixfields Stadium
Saturday 10th September
KO: 3pm

We travel to Sixfields on Saturday for a game against Northampton Town. Northampton, fancied for a top 7 finish, have struggled so far this year. The Cobblers, under the charge of ex-Yeovil and Bristol City boss Gary Johnson. Johnson, reknowned for his great work at Yeovil and then Bristol City, finds himself back in the basement division after a torrid time at Peterborough. Our hosts on Saturday find themselves sat just one place above the bottom two, with 5 points from 6 games. They're yet to win at Sixfields, drawing 1 and losing 2, whereas we've picked up 7 points from 9 on our travels.

GULLS NEWS.

Rene Howe may be fit for Saturday, but whether he'll play is a different matter. His replacement, Chris McPhee did well against Macclesfield, so it'll be interesting to see what Ling does. Billy Bodin also returns from International Duty. Daniel Leadbitter is on his way to recovery after injury, and he played for the reserves as they went down 3-1 to Brighton on Tuesday.

THE OPPOSITION.

Starting in the dugout, Ling goes up against Gary Johnson, as I mentioned. Johnson has a wealth of experience - he won two promotions when managing Yeovil Town, taking the Glovers from the Conference upto League One, where they have since resided.

On the pitch then, and keeping net, we have Sam Walker. A youngster on loan from Chelsea is currently spending some time at Sixfields to gain some valuable game time. He spent a bit of time at Barnet last year, making 7 appearances. He has made 4 appearances for the Cobblers so far. His back up, also sharing the name Walker, is Paul. Paul has come through the Northampton youth system, and has been in the Wales U17 squad since 2008, making 2 appearances. They also have Freddy Hall there. Signed from Bermuda Hogges, he joined Northampton in the summer. He did play against us in pre-season, for Plymouth, when he was on trial at Home Park.

Onto the defence then. A roster of 8 defenders at Sixfields. Starting at centre half, there are several players who can play there. I'll start with club captain Andy Holt. The 33-year old has been around a longtime, since starting his career in 1995 at Oldham. He made 114 appearances for Oldham, before moving to Hull. He joined Northampton from Wrexham in 2006, and has made 182 appearances for the Cobblers, scoring 16 goals. Also, we have Ben Tozer. Tozer, who started off at Plymouth, has gone to Swindon and Newcastle before finding himself at Sixfields. Byron Webster is another young centre half who joined Northampton, firstly on loan before making it permanent. I remember him from last year, he was huge! Kelvin Langmead is another who brings a wealth of experience to the back line, from a long spell with Shrewsbury (228 appearances, 18 goals) and then Peterborough (15 apps). Langmead set out as a striker, before changing to a centre half in 2006. Ashley Westwood also has a wealth of experience, and he is on non-contract terms for NTFC. A prosperous career which has seen him play for several clubs, namely Crewe, Sheffield Wednesday and Wrexham. He is back at Sixfields for a second spell, having spent 3 years there from 2003-2006, making 30 appearances. John Johnson (great name!) is another defender who can be employed at either right back or in the middle. He made the permanent switch to Northampton from Middlesborough, in the summer. Other defensive options include Ashley Corker (LB) and Nana Ofori-Twumasi (RB).

Into midfield, then. Starting on the wings, we have Ashley Young's younger brother, Lewis. He was released by Burton in the summer, having made 19 appearances for them last season. Arron Davies is a right winger. He was part of the Yeovil side that so nearly reached the Championship in 2007, as they lost the playoff final to Blackpool. He made 101 appearances for the Glovers, scoring 22 goals. His most recent club was Peterborough, where he made 22 appearances, scoring 1. Nathaniel Wedderburn, a youngster from Stoke City's youth. He is in his second season at Northampton, and made 31 appearances last year. Paul Turnbull was captain for Stockport County last season, as the Hatters dropped out of the football league. He returned, as Gary Johnson snapped him up. He has made 3 appearances, scoring once. Michael Jacobs is probably the hottest prospect in the ranks at Sixfields at the moment. A youngster who's come through the system, he has made 41 appearances, scoring 9 goals - not bad going to a 19 year old. He can either play on the wing or in the middle.Other midfield options include Nick McCoy, Greg Kaziboni, Michael Built, and Marin Pozgain.

Upfront then, we have a few well known names. Bayo Akinfenwa is a key player, and he returned to Sixfields in the summer, after a year away, spent at Gillingham. He is a hero for Northampton, and has made 93 appearances in total, scoring 40 goals. They also have Jake Robinson, who spent time here last season. He hasn't started for the club yet, surprisingly. Another option upfront is Tadhg Purcell. The striker who signed from Darlington in 2010 has been injury prone since joining, and has made only 4 appearances. He made his name in League 2 by scoring 9 in 22 as Darlington lost the battle against the drop a year ago. Finally, they have Bas Savage. Well known for his moonwalk celebration, he has been around a bit since he left Brighton - Millwall, Tranmere, Dagenham and now Northampton.

HOW THEY LINED UP.

Sam Walker

Ben Tozer
Byron Webster
John Johnson
Kelvin Langmead

Arron Davies
Michael Jacobs (Jake Robinson 78)
Paul Turnbull (Ashley Westwood 90+3)
Nick McCoy
Lewis Young

Bayo Akinfenwa

Subs: Walker, Corker, Westwood, Robinson, Savage.

REF WATCH.

BOBBY MADLEY
Daniel Leach and Guy Stretton
Fourth Official Ian Rathbone

I'll admit to never having heard of this guy, and Soccerbase isn't helping either. A virtual unknown for me, sorry.

PREDICTION.

Scrappy first half, but we'll come out and score in the second.

Cobblers 1-2 Torquay

COYY!
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

As i have said before will say it again, a very good OP Nick.
Considering there Home form and our Away.

Going to go for a 2-0 win with a goal each side of halftime. COYY
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

re the ref: http://www.football-lineups.com/referee/2065/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

[quote="NickGull"]Sixfields Stadium
Saturday 10th September
KO: 3pm

BOBBY MADLEY
Daniel Leach and Guy Stretton
Fourth Official Ian Rathbone

I'll admit to never having heard of this guy, and Soccerbase isn't helping either. A virtual unknown for me, sorry.

He refereed our match last year agains't Stevenage on March 5th if I understand that web site correctly. Sent one off and two yellows.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I have a feeling it'll be a passionate 1-1 draw, though would obviously rather we carry on from last week and spank them. With that in mind I'd probably start with McPhee and have Bodin and (if fit) Howe on the bench to change things if necessary.

Interesting that Jake is yet to start a game for the Cobblers, and I spotted Stanley was only on the bench for Rovers' last game. Admittedly Zebs, Bevs, Branson and Tomlin all seem to be first choice where they are now, but perhaps the g(r)a(s)s is not necessarily greener than it would have been down here with Ling ;-)
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Pretty sure Robinson started the first 2 or 3 games of Northampton's season but then got injured.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Vague recollections of that match, which all happened in the second half. Pringle played his first game (where is he now?) and hit the bar almost directly from 2nd half KO. Ball fell to Danny who whalloped a half volley into the top corner from out on the left at a range of 25 yards, if memory serves. They had a geezer sent off and hopeless Zebrowski missed the resultant penner (he hit the bar, I think, having disregarded PBs instruction to allow Eunan to take it. His next effort was the one against the Shrews which hit the back of the net so hard that the ball screamed in pain). Jakey Robinson scored late on.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

We have always had a fairly good match against AC Northampton Athletico. I remember the first time I went to six fields, it was 1st game of the season (I think) and we won 1-0 with a penalty we should not have been given. Obviously we cannot forget last seasons balls up at Northampton, maybe that was justice for the first game I went to???

I think a nice win tomorrow, 2-0 to us :0)
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

ferrarilover wrote:Vague recollections of that match, which all happened in the second half. Pringle played his first game (where is he now?)
We will see him soon (if hes in the team). He's at "Rovrum" ;-)
Arse! Drink!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Awayday wrote:We have always had a fairly good match against AC Northampton Athletico. I remember the first time I went to six fields, it was 1st game of the season (I think) and we won 1-0 with a penalty we should not have been given. Obviously we cannot forget last seasons balls up at Northampton, maybe that was justice for the first game I went to???

I think a nice win tomorrow, 2-0 to us :0)

If you're picking me up at 10am on Saturday we'll miss the game :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

As I said on another thread, I'll be going to this one! Hopefully we'll get the victory, but I predict a 2-2 draw! COYY!!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northharrowgull »

Sorry folks, whilst we have a great record against the cobblers in recent years I reckon we will lose this match 3-1 with F *uckinitwit to score a brace. I dont think we have a tough enough defence cos we havent replaced the pickler. Saah is a much more subtle defender but we need the hard core Branston type to provide a really effective defensive barrier.COYY!!!!
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

Akinfatwat to score for cobbles

Atieno to score 2 for us

2-1. COYY
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Southampton Gull wrote:
If you're picking me up at 10am on Saturday we'll miss the game :)
After your recent behaviour I am not sure whether Eastleigh is too far out of my way now.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

northharrowgull wrote:Sorry folks, whilst we have a great record against the cobblers in recent years I reckon we will lose this match 3-1 with F *uckinitwit to score a brace. I dont think we have a tough enough defence cos we havent replaced the pickler. Saah is a much more subtle defender but we need the hard core Branston type to provide a really effective defensive barrier.COYY!!!!

dont think Branston pardon the pun is cutting the mustard at Bradford is he ? think he misses the team spirit that he felt at tufc....

predict us thrashing them 2-1 =D