Torquay vs Barnet

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Chow Mein
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Bruno Meirelles

Post by Chow Mein »

Jesus, it's just some music for christ sake. Half of you on here sound like your relatives have been murdered or something.

To be honest, more important things to worry about really, like a shocker of a performance against a team who are notoriously useless away from home.

Last away point in September, last away victory in April 2009, I mean we were lucky to get a point in the end - just fortunate Barnet were bad infront of goal.

Really tells the standard of the league if we're 7th judging on the performances we've currently had thus far. Macclesfield, aldershot, barnet etc.

With Rendell, Carayol, a 100% Carlisle, we would even be around the automatics!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

yellowsmiffy wrote: As for not being happy enough when we score a goal.... who are you to say how happy the fans are? I personally go balistic, as do most fans. It's the bits in between goals where we let ourselves down with the quiet atmosphere. The die hard fans in the pop should be in the corner section of the pop rather than on the halfway line, exchanging banter with the away fans creating a proper atmosphere.
What tosh. I stand on the half-way line and I've been going for 20 years, a season ticket holder for most of those, and hardly miss a game. I call that pretty die hard. Some of us actually go to watch the football, you know.

However, completely agree with you about the music; utter disgrace. The reason we moan about it Chow Mein, is because it's the thin end of the wedge. It's a microcosm of the decline of british football from a spectator sport to an entertainment comodity. It suggests that what matters is not the game, the spectacle, the connection between club and fans, the PASSION, but mass appeal to bland econocentric 'fans' advocating a homogenisation of what until recently was a very beautiful game. The reason I have continued to watch Torquay and all but stopped watching the Premiership is because League 2 (and Torquay in particular) have resisted this cultural shift until very recently. Please don't let them take it away from me!
Last edited by Kit_robin on 14 Nov 2010, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

Kit_robin wrote: What tosh. I stand on the half-way line and I've been going for 20 years, a season ticket holder for most of those, and hardly miss a game. I call that pretty die hard. Some of us actually go to watch the football, you know.

However, completely agree with you about the music; utter disgrace.
I would call that die hard as well. Personally I go to watch the football, chant, bit of banter, pub at half time with mates. Happy days :)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

We missed Zebs yesterday that is for sure. Haven't listened to Bucks after match comments yet but agree with all posters that the match was dire.

I thought when we left the BSP we had seen the last of BSP linos. What a c*ck he was. :O

When I got in Boots & Laces after and saw we were still in a play-off position that was a surprise.
Still, a point gained rather than two dropped and we came really close to getting nowt.

As for the goal music... :evil:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Disappointing result but not overly surprised. I didn't fancy us without one of our best players in Zebroski plus a few guys half fit. We dodn't have a very big squad and we can't afford to be off the pace or be missing key personell because we haven't got that depth of quality in reserve. No ones fault just where we are with our finances currently.

Still didn't lose and I reckon we'll win at Stockport next week. 4 points from Barnet + stockport you'd take all day long just in a different order.

I am mortified to hear that goal music was played. I too would back a mass email of letting my feelings known on this matter.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The only positive from yesterday is that we're one game closer to the end of the season, and we're still in the top 7.

Thats it. The rest of it was a total shambles. :(
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

yellowsmiffy wrote:It's regarded by fans up and down the country as being a sign of a club which is tin pot and amateurish and everyone hates it.
That would be why most clubs across the country do it, then. England's rugby team did it at Twickenham yesterday. They're far from amateurish.
yellowsmiffy wrote:Even if you don't hate it, you don't exactly like it do you!!? So why do it? It's just something that will do more harm than good.
Like I said, I'm nonplussed by it. Thanks for reiterating what I already said though. And how do you know it'll do more harm than good? It'll probably make the kids happy and get a few people jumping up and down. Good for them.
yellowsmiffy wrote:The die hard fans in the pop should be in the corner section of the pop rather than on the halfway line, exchanging banter with the away fans creating a proper atmosphere.
Nice of you to tell people where to stand. Plainmoor will become a cauldron of atmosphere now!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote: +

Worst. Officials. Ever
Can't place the blame totally at the officials. They weren't helped by Barnet's cheating, but we need to take responsibility. If we want to be a force in this division then we need the know-how to get around the teams like Barnet, especially at Plainmoor.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Diving was the main thing in my mind. Once in the first half their winger (Marshall) went down winning a free kick in a dangerous position - even the Grandstand was up in arms about it, which speaks volumes! He tried it again in the second half, but the ref was wiser to it, and he was booked. Also, their left back went down clutching his face, trying to claim that Rose had kicked him in the face while trying to keep the ball in play. From where I was, it looked like nothing, and as expected, the left back was up and running again with no marks on his face or anything.

As for penalty shouts, I think there was one from a corner, where Ellis was blocked, but that was all.

The lino got a lot of flak for a decision in the second half when Kee was offside from a goal kick from Bevs, and there were the odd delayed raising of the flag as the Popside booed him everytime he moved a muscle. He only seemed a young lad, and its the abuse like that which puts me off ever trying to become a professional referee/assistant. Absolutely ridiculous.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

NickGull wrote:The lino got a lot of flak for a decision in the second half when Kee was offside from a goal kick from Bevs, and there were the odd delayed raising of the flag as the Popside booed him everytime he moved a muscle. He only seemed a young lad, and its the abuse like that which puts me off ever trying to become a professional referee/assistant. Absolutely ridiculous.
Im not suprised he got flack! It states quite clearly in the rules that you can not be offside from a throw in, a corner or a goal kick. If an official cant get that right, what chance is there with something complicated?
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

Or, as the US of A call it, an illegal enemy line penetration!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Worst. Officials. Ever[/quote]

Can't place the blame totally at the officials. They weren't helped by Barnet's cheating, but we need to take responsibility. If we want to be a force in this division then we need the know-how to get around the teams like Barnet, especially at Plainmoor.[/quote]

In what way were Barnet cheating out of interestIn? Also did we have any shouts for penaltys which went ignored?[/quote]

Gen answer to a gen question.

They had one geezer booked for an appalling swan dive.
Right in front of the lino on the Pop side, their no 3 (happy to be corrected on this) grabbed Roman Rose by the throat and threw him to the ground.
Gritts went in to block a clearance right on the sideline in front of the Pop, missed the man by no less than 9 inches, a foot in front of the lino and he flags for a free kick and Gritts is booked. Based largely on the reaction of the Barnet player (who rolled about like he'd been shot) I'm surprised it was only yellow and not red.
Billy Kee set free down the right, hauled back by the defender, right in front of the lino, no foul.
Barnet throw in (spot the theme) right in front of the lino, their guy jumps and misses the ball, Elliott, a good two feet away from the man and at least 18 inches shorter and 5 stone lighter, flagged for a 'push' which simply didn't happen.

These were just a selection of instances of absolute cheating from Barnet, it does not include the 1000s of wholly incorrect (whether by omission or error) decisions made by the officials.

This was not a game Torquay deserved to win, but it would be nice to be given a fair crack of the whip.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I have to say i didn't see a lot of 'cheating' at all. No more than is evident in every game, every weekend. It was a 'professional' performance from Barnet - they wasted a bit of time when possible but who can blame them? They came to a team a good few places above them in the League and a draw was an excellent result for them. We've done the same away from home on many occasions. The officials were dire, but that's just the norm isn't it? Hardly worth mentioning. We've had worse.

As for us, we've evolved into some kind of chameleon football team. Against the better teams, where we're not necessarily expected to do well, we consistently raise our game and evidently compete as equals. We then play the poorer sides, where the expectancy is actually on us to take the points, we rapidly get dragged down to the level of the opposition and look worse than dreadful. Heroic draws away from home are only of use if a team is able to win it's home games. Teams that want to compete at the top end have to beat the also-rans more often than not. We don't do that.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Fonda wrote:....

As for us, we've evolved into some kind of chameleon football team. Against the better teams, where we're not necessarily expected to do well, we consistently raise our game and evidently compete as equals. We then play the poorer sides, where the expectancy is actually on us to take the points, we rapidly get dragged down to the level of the opposition and look worse than dreadful.
I actually think this is down to Buckle. He is a manager who likes to pay 'respect' to the opposition, and not become complacent. All laudible ambitions and ones which I agree with, however I believe he takes this too far. We pay so much respect to the opposition we often forget they're bottom of the league (for example) or a non-league side.

Buckle often says "win the battle first, then play your football", again he's right in his philosophy, but when you're playing a team that lacks quality, all that happens is you get dragged into just that; a battle, and that's exactly what you would want when you're bottom of the league. Conversely, when you play a team at the top, who will look to play more, our battling often has the effect of allowing us to impose our game on them.

I put this down to a lack of experience in the main. Although it has to be said he is a manager who acts on the conservative side of things also.