Dagenham and Redbridge v Torquay United FL2 27/08/2011

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

YESSS!!!!! 1-1
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

RENE YOU LEGEND!!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Get in Rene! Very interesting finish now...
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

yyyyeeeeeessssss! COYY!
The gulls are going up
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

oooohhhhhhhhhhhh rhnenie (in an Allo Allo accent)
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Ooooh, just got back, maybe I should go out and come back again. Not read thro posts yet, are we playing ok?
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

We are alll over them 2nd half.

Had enough chances to win this game! same story for D&R in first half.
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

3 minutes added. COYY!!
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

FT: 1-1

I'm happy with that to be honest. Good result.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

FT hope Bodin influences the next game like he has done this one
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Take a point. Sounds like a fantastic second half performance. If only we could have played the first half like we did in the second half.

Plymouth, bottom of the Football League!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Happy with a point away to Dagenham. Sitting nicley in 12th.
Poor old Plymouth down the bottom, i really cant see how there going stay up at the moment.
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northharrowgull »

One point off the play-offs still and having played some tough teams is a pretty fair start to the season. What's pleased me most about today is Ling seems to have galvanised the team with his half time talk as by all accounts we were all over them second half. Keep it up ! Interesting match on Tuesday which I reckon we will win
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

tufcbrett wrote:Happy with a point away to Dagenham. Sitting nicley in 12th.
Poor old Plymouth down the bottom, i really cant see how there going stay up at the moment.
The only other time Argyle have been bottom of the whole pile after 4 games (they are actually 1 point better off this time round) they ended up getting promoted via the play-offs with a 1-0 win over Darlington at Wembley. I do not wish them any ill will as local rivals but I can't see the same end to the story this time.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Well, if you ever wanted a definition of a game of two halves, that was it. We were useless for much of the first 50mins of the game, yet I come away from it wondering how the hell we didn't come away with all 3 points. We were truly murdered in the first half, yet there was only one team in it second half. Although I feel slightly dismayed at only coming away with a point, I'd have taken it before the game and bitten someone's arm off for it at half time so I think we should be pretty pleased.

The atmosphere today was soul-less, I don't think Dagenham had any songs at all so when they were on top and our fans were silenced, it was like a pre season game. Well, except for all the berating our fans were doing of our poorly performing side.

To be fair we played o.k the first 10mins. Good passing and movement, forced a couple of corners - one of which looked like it was going to fall sweetly for manse to rifle in, but was blocked and the chance passed. All Dagenham could do was lump it long, completly by-passing the midfield. It looked initially we could be in for a good day.

But then, somehow, it all went to pieces. Suddenly we couldn't pass, couldn't control a ball and Dagenham were all over us. Tomlin was outstanding first half, and some tidy link up play between himself, Nurse and Williams led to the latter getting in a shot which was blocked. An early warning which we didn't heed.

We almost went 1 down shortly after thanks to some comedy defending. Robbo gave Green far too much space on the Daggers left, who crossed low which should have been easy meat for Bobby. But Olejnik fumbled the cross right onto Saah's shins, and the ball trickled literally an inch past the post.

We were getting no better, every goal kick was going long, every pass astray or intercepted. Atieno was making some good runs, Danny looking busy but Howe was immobile up front, O'Kane couldnt pass for love nor money, and at the back Nico and Saah were dreadfully hesitant (or as my mate so eloquently described Saah - "a useless bag of sh*t"). Robbo was giving his man far too much space as well, and only Ellis and Manse were really doing anything of any positive note at the back. Still we were letting Dagenham all over us, and some more tidy link up play saw Tomlin shoot right into the chest of Olejnik.

Moments later we went 1 down. Some very slack defending by Nico, a cross is swung in and Williams loops a header at the near post diagonally back over Bobby and it drops in at the far corner. 0-1.

Most concerningly, Ling and Taylor spent the entire first half sat down, seemingly issuing no instructions as if the dismal performance was acceptably. Aside from one Atieno snap shot that went well wide, and a few Clifford long range Dagenham efforts that was it for first half action. Dagenham didn't look like world beaters, but we were so unbelievably poor we were making them look far superior.

The first 10mins of the second half didn't really look any better, as we conceded a couple of cheap corners but nothing came of them. Then, just as suddenly as we had gone bad in the first half, we changed back and started knocking the ball around again. We started to be able to open Dagenham up - Stevens, Morris and O'Kane getting into the game, showing composure on the ball and slowly the chances started to come.

First of all, Howe had a dipping volley on his weaker left foot, which he could only tamely fire straight at Lewington. Shortly after, a Morris cross was volleyed wide by Howe on his right foot. Suddenly Rene was back to his best, powerfully holding up the ball and bringing others into the game. Stevens and O'Kane fired long rangers wildly over, but you sensed we were getting back into it.

Our best chance came from a beautifully flighted diagonal ball from O'Kane to Morris, who's header was tipped over at the near post by Lewington. We forced a succession of corners, from one of which Ellis had a shot blocked at point blank range. And soon after, Atieno ran onto a diagonal ball, looked to go past the keeper - who made a superb stop at his legs, and was up quickly to block Morris' rebound. It was all Torquay.

Ling made his first switch of the day, surprisingly withdrawing Atineo for Bodin. At first it didn't look like it was the right move, but Bodin is quite a player. Bigger than I was expecting, but still quite a slight frame, he has much more power than you'd think and lots of pace. And a fantastic touch and close control. The chances kept coming, mostly blocked on the edge of the box although one close range effort looked to be blocked by hands. By this time McPhee had entered the fray for the tiring Stevens.

Just as it was looking like our efforts may be too little, too late we equalised. A nice little break down the left saw Morris play the ball inside to Howe, who helped it onto Bodin to run at the retreating Daggers defence. Bodin cut inside and was upended right on the edge of the box, and I mean right on the edge. Rene stepped up and confidently sent the ball slightly left of centre, after Lewington had committed fully to diving low to Rene's right. 1-1!

Could we go on to win? Well, we had chances! O'Kane charged down a clearance and played in Howe, who then miscontrolled it and it bobbled to the keeper when clean through. From a free kick, a Daggers defender headed it back towards goal, only to be spared the blushes of an own goal by a great full length save from Lewington (who was voted MOTM). and almost right at the death, Morris went away on the left but tried to cut the ball back to Bodin rather than take it on himself. Aside from one curling long ranger from Williams, Dagenham offered nothing second half and so the points were shared.

With the start Dagenham have had, a point is a good return. They were very well organised and got plenty of men behind the ball. we were the better footballing side by far, but why oh why did we stop playing for 45mins? And why didn't Ling shake it up before half time? I don't know. It was another performance where there were plenty of positives second half, but far too many individual mistakes and awful decisions first half.

The players:
Olejnik - 6.5 - one mistake, and some poor kicking but some good throw outs and a couple of good stops
Robertson - 7 - stood off too much first half, but excellent second half
Ellis - 8 - my MOTM. least mistakes of everyone and dominant in the air
Saah - 5.5 - so hesitant. One moment in first half where he miscontrolled the ball, recovered then passed it straight to a red shirt. You can actually see the moment when the penny drops that he's going to get the ball. But to be fair made some challenges when called upon
Nico - 6 - dire first half, awful positioning and closing down, but much better second
Morris - 6 - see Nico, only needs to show more composure and confidence on the ball and infront of goal. Also, your 6ft and a good header of the ball - don't go and stand by a free kick if your not taking it, get in there!!!!
Mansell - 7 - usual energetic self
O'kane - 6 - passing way way off first half. Played some great balls second half. Poor corners
Stevens - 6.5 - full of running, close control and tried to make things happen
Howe - 6 - lazy first half, classy penalty but wasted good chances
Atieno - 6.5 - intelligent running, likes to try and walk the ball in too much though

Bodin - 7.5 - looks good. Great touch, good strength, good pace. Will be useful
McPhee - 6.5 - credit where it's due, he did o.k. Looks clumsy but worked some good positions.

Be interested to hear others views on today, but for me now I have the lucky 45minute trip home!