Torquay vs Crawley

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Torquay vs Crawley

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Plainmoor
Saturday 20th August
KO: 3pm

After picking up two consecutive wins on our travels (we haven't done that since August 2010), we head home where League new-boys Crawley Town are our visitors. Crawley, favourites to breeze straight through the division with their bags of money, have had a decent start so far, picking up 7 points from 9, as we have ourselves. Under the stewardship of detested duo of Steve Evans and Paul Raynor, they're looking to make it two promotions in two years, at Broadfield Stadium.

GULLS NEWS.

Again, no new injuries or suspensions for us. We were apparently shocking at Aldershot, but still picked up the 3 points, so I'm hoping we put out a better performance tomorrow.

THE OPPOSITION.

Moving onto our opponents. I would give an introduction to Martin Ling's counterparts, but I feel they need no introduction, so I'll move on.

In goal, then. We're likely to be facing Michel Kuipers in net. The 37 year old Dutch keeper has made a career in the English lower leagues, mostly for his time at Brighton, where he made 247 appearances in 10 years. He spent time on loan at Hull and Boston. In 2010 he joined Crawley, and has made 26 appearance for the Red Devils. His back up also has a wealth of experience in the Football League, Scott Shearer. The 30 year old has spent time at several clubs, Albion Rovers, Coventry, Rushden [loan], Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury [loan], Wycombe, Wrexham and now finds himself at Crawley.

Into the defence. On the right hand side, it's likely to be Glenn Wilson. He has been a regular at the Broadfield Stadium since 2007, making 145 appearances. On the left, it'll be Dean Howell. In his second season at Crawley now, he got sent off at Plainmoor in the FA Cup last year. He looked like having a career in non-league until Aldershot signed him, and now he is back in the league with Crawley. In the centre, we'll find Kyle McFadzean. The centre half, who started his career at Sheffield United. Crawley took him from Alfreton, and he has made 38 appearances for the Red Devils. His partner will likely be Charlie Wassmer. Starting his career at Hayes & Yeading in 2009, he joined Crawley first on loan before making it permanent. Their other options in defence are club-captain Pablo Mills, who has been injured so far, and John Dempster. David Hunt can also play at right-back, aswell as midfield.

In the midfield now then. In the centre, Argentine Sergio Torres has been a key player in the last 12 months. Since signing from Peterborough for an alleged 6-figure fee, he has shown his ability. His partner in the middle could be one from Scott Davies, David Hunt, Dannie Bulman, Ben Smith, Josh Simpson or Hope Akpan. As you can see, they have plenty of players with the ability to play in the engine room, so competition for places is huge. On the wings, last time out against Southend, it was Akpan and Scott Neilson. They also have Willie Gibson and Jamie Day, who can play on the wings.

Onto their front line then. They have built a strong strikeforce for this level. The two forwards on Tuesday were Matt Tubbs and Tyrone Barnett. We know about Tubbs from his time at Salisbury and then the FA Cup game, where he scored the winner. Barnett is a summer signing from Macclesfield. He made the move for a six-figure fee. Their back up consists of two more summer signings; Wes Thomas and John Akinde. Thomas, who hit nearly 20 goals in League 2 for Cheltenham last time around, made the move on a free. Akinde signed from Bristol City. He is known for being the first ever transfer decided by a fans poll, as his first club Ebbsfleet were owned by MyFootballClub. He moved to Bristol City, but never really hit the ground running at Ashton Gate, spending alot of time on loan elsewhere. It is suggested that Crawley beat off higher-league opposition for his signature, suggesting more money was thrown his way.

HOW THEY LINED UP.

This is the line up that beat Southend 3-0 on Tuesday:

Scott Shearer

David Hunt
Kyle McFadzean
Charlie Wassmer
Dean Howell

Hope Akpan
Sergio Torres
Josh Simpson
Scott Neilson (Ben Smith 78)

Matt Tubbs (Wes Thomas 82)
Tyrone Barnett (John Akinde 85)

Subs: Michel Kuipers, Glenn Wilson, Ben Smith, Wes Thomas, John Akinde.

REF WATCH.

JAMES ADCOCK
Tim Robinson and Andrew Rodda
Fourth Official Christopher Powell

As said elsewhere, the referee is James Adcock. Fairly new to the game, having started in 2009, this is his 3rd season. He only did one game in his first year, in the BSP. He only officiated two games last year, a League 2 game which ended in a 22 man brawl which saw 3 players sent off, and the BSP playoff Final. He has done one game this year, an encounter between Oxford and Bradford.

Not quite the experience I was hoping for...

PREDICTION.

Hmm. Quietly confident, although I'm happy aslong as we don't lose. One goal in it.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Given that Shearer started in net on Tuesday, why do we think Kuipers will be back for our game?

For all their money, their back line looks awfully non-league. Their most experienced player appears to have spent two years at CTFC itself, which is hardly a hotbed of footballing talent (quite the opposite, in fact).

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I am worried about Torres and the Front line with the the likes of Tubbs ect.
I am more and confident we can handle them and get a result. Like matt said above there back line is not the greatest and they are very beatable.

Going for a 2-1 home won with a very late goal for us.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Matt, my mistake. I had already written it before I saw their team and as I was in a rush, I had to just leave it.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Oh, ok, sorry Nick, didn't mean to call attention to it, just figured you knew something I didn't. Doesn't matter, whoever plays will be a c**t.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I am going for a win on Saturday, but I think tensions are going to be high and penalties and cards are going to play a massive part.

Torquay need to keep level headed this Saturday, don't give into the bullying tactics of Crawley, and Robbo needs to stop pushing and pulling in our own penalty box. If we are 3 or 4 goals ahead with 2 minutes to play, then yes nudge them all you want, but not when we need to score.

I don't think it is going to be a pleasant game to watch (like Bristol) but we cannot afford to play like we did at Aldershot. Also we shouldn't treat this as a revenge match, we need to put all that behind us and get on with taking 3 points and leap frogging ahead of them in the league.

Key Point - Keep the unbeaten record and the morale and spirits high.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Looking at their side, I'm surprised that it would look as though the defense is a weak link. Cracking midfield (best in the division perhaps?) and strength in depth up front. However either Kuipers or Shearer is prone to the odd howler, their full backs aren't anything special (Dean Howell is absolute garbage, Glenn Wilson is average conference fare). Can't comment much on Wassmer, but I understand McFadzean is a bit of an uncompromising centre half. At least now we have a forward line that can trouble even the toughest centre halves. I'd like to see Macklin given a shot on the wing, see what these full backs have got.

I'd take a draw from tomorrow, we won't get anything if we recreate the Aldershot performance.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

The thing you can say about Crawley is you know what your going to get. Suprised we never realised that in previous matches. Play them at their own game, do unto others as you expect to be done to you. Just hope the wiley old silver fox has realised this. Keep Tubbs quite, there not going to wind up Howe so they'll probably try and get him sent off, start like we did against Rovers and who knows, hope TQY have studied the Port Vale match with Crawley they seemed to lose their cool there.

Gutted I won't be there. Lingy pulls this one off and he'll be well on his way to saint hood already.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

All those things I said about the Rovers game last week - "please, let us win just this one game, they're such a bunch of oiks and their manager is a total douchebag" - apply this week too.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I want to win for all the normal reasons (points, momentum etc. etc.). I also want to win to stick one over fatty, his loathsome sidekick and those fans who have been following Gatwick for years, well since the money came in anyway. Some red cards for Gatwick would also be welcome. This means a lot.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Like Ling said at Rovers, this isn't about revenge or beating a particular team or manager, it's picking up 3 points against the team in front of you. Hopefully he'll have them calm and with the tactics to do this.

1-0 Gulls, Howe to score.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

I think you are very brave going for a home win but I certainly hope you beat them.Dont think they really have as good a team as they think and feel we have better attacking players than them however it will depend a lot on how you approach the game.If you look on it as a Revenge match then you could suffer a similar fate to that we did against you. they will certainly start as favourites but if you dont let them wind you up I think you could win. We have a real tricky one at Macclesfield,never been a place we do particiluarly well at and a lot of 2-1 defeats there. I go for Torquay 2 Crawley 1.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

It's an oldie and it's a goldie . . . . . .

(8)" One man went to lift, went to lift Steve Evans . . .
One man and his forklift truck . . . went to lift Steve Evans . . . " (8)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

As an aside to the main thread, there's no genuine malice towards Bristol Rovers fans on here. Any apparent aforementioned has come about from the Paul Buckle appointment. We can move on now and it's good to see the likes of friendlygas continuing to contribute to League 2 posts.

Whether the obnoxious Crawley duo continue to have the Indian sign over TUFC will become apparent tomorrow, but they sure do have it over Buckle.

Friendlygas : be very concerned with your manager and his tactics when you play Crawley.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Bigman wrote:Like Ling said at Rovers, this isn't about revenge or beating a particular team or manager, it's picking up 3 points against the team in front of you. Hopefully he'll have them calm and with the tactics to do this.

1-0 Gulls, Howe to score.
I agree with this sentiment for the players, of course that is right. However, for the fans it will be good to see the managerial "team" of Gatwick go home disappointed, preferably with their tails between their legs. It is only human to be pleased when the school bully gets a good hiding, and Raynor & Evans are most definitely school bully types. I've never believed in turning the other cheek, and am very Old Testament with the eye for an eye thing. However, you are right, let's get three points, recognising the added benefits.