Torquay vs Crawley

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

Southampton Gull wrote:Good question, I don't know the answer to that as far as Ellis is concerned but I'd say that Stevens fits the scenario you suggest. I like Ellis, like most I like his gung-ho style but I'm also able to see what a liability he can be as well. I'll just put my faith in Martin Ling to do the best with what he has at his disposal and at the moment he doesn't deem Ellis as good enough to displace Saah or Robertson.
Absolutely. If he could sort the lack of concentration out and keep a view of the "bigger picture" than just where the ball is right now, he would undoubtedly be at a Championship side if not higher. I would still be tempted, if the defence still looks shakey after the next couple of games, to give him a run to see how he responds. We all know there's a good footballer in there trying to get out, his displays last season were quality until around Christmas time for some reason.
Arse! Drink!
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

IMO, he is too good to be sat on a League Two bench, and he must surely know that. Let's not forget he was linked with League One clubs in January, this lad will go places. I just hope he doesn't 'go places' on a free due to a lack of first team opportunities. Admittedly, i haven't seen Saah in action yet so I cannot judge the Saah - Robbo combination but if one can't perform there would be no harm in at least giving Ellis a go in a game, just to see if he has worked on the concentration side of his game - as i doubt that is something you can really tell from working with him in training.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Father Jack wrote: Just a matter of interest, when do players stop being "young and full of potential" and become "unfulfilled promise" so to speak?

Hes been here for what, 4 years? and must have played nearly 100 games?
Young and full of potential? Dave is starting to sound like Arsene Wenger! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Hardly, Andy, my accent is definitely not French ;-)

Interestingly, I missed part of FJ's post earlier, I would have thought that Ellis has played closer to 50 games rather than 100, does anybody know the actual number?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I make it 90 appearances in all competitions according to soccerbase.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Has he really averaged over 20 games a season? Doesn't seem like anything near that.
Dave

Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

We play Cheltenham a week Tuesday in the JPT - an ideal chance to give Ellis 90mins I'd say.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Jeff wrote:We play Cheltenham a week Tuesday in the JPT - an ideal chance to give Ellis 90mins I'd say.

That would be the game I'd choose to give him and a couple of others a runout.
Dave

Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

Southampton Gull wrote:Has he really averaged over 20 games a season? Doesn't seem like anything near that.
Having just had a butchers at soccerbase (Eh? Season long loan to Forest Green in 09/10?), he's averaged 29 starts a season (with 5.5 subs slots) over the last 2 seasons back in the league (i need to get out more)...
Arse! Drink!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

What "shocked" me on Saturday, was how quick most supporters f ' ked off home.

It's always the same after a defeat. Boots and Laces was quiet after the game and so was the Union.

A defeat doesn't ever deter me from enjoying my Saturday night out. However, a win always gives the night a better edge. :nod: :-D
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

I'm really suprised that Crawley are doing so well tbh.

I know they are bookies faves but they do have a distinctly average squad on paper, and a very inexperienced defence.

I remember one time we were top of L1 after the first half dozen games and everyone thought we'd walk it.......we ended up relegated.

I'm still looking for us to beat them on their own patch anyway, just a tad worried about having a CB playing RB against their decent left winger.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Gashead1979 wrote:I'm really suprised that Crawley are doing so well tbh.

I know they are bookies faves but they do have a distinctly average squad on paper, and a very inexperienced defence.

I remember one time we were top of L1 after the first half dozen games and everyone thought we'd walk it.......we ended up relegated.

I'm still looking for us to beat them on their own patch anyway, just a tad worried about having a CB playing RB against their decent left winger.

Gashead, how have you worked that one out. We (TUFC) beat you, they (Crawley) beat us :'( The last game they lost was against Manchester United in last season's FA cup. When are you playing them (Crawley not MU)?
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

diamondgirl wrote:

Gashead, how have you worked that one out. We (TUFC) beat you, they (Crawley) beat us :'( The last game they lost was against Manchester United in last season's FA cup. When are you playing them (Crawley not MU)?

oh right well if thats how footy matches are decided then we should be able to predict every match from now til May?

we play Crawley on Sat 3rd Sept, away, but we have 3 games before that so even more time for the team to gel a bit
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Gashead1979 wrote:I'm really suprised that Crawley are doing so well tbh.

lol with the greatest of respect mate get used to it, and if those players that are affected complain about it,,, get used to even more of it.
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

Dave_Pougher wrote: lol with the greatest of respect mate get used to it, and if those players that are affected complain about it,,, get used to even more of it.

Well we had to get our RB out of the team, apparently he had a 'mare against your lot.

More puzzling is Zebroski, doesnt look like a winger, cant see he'd be any good as a striker, doesnt really look like a footballer at all, but still gets in the team ahead of Carayol who looked class when we've seen him. Most of Buckles team selections and subs have been very confusing to say the least.....