Aldershot vs Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Southampton Gull wrote:About as many as the Rovers fans will hear in the next couple of seasons ;-)
Well, until Christmas, when they sack him.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

yellow wrote:If that was an ‘excellent game’ then I’m a Dutchman.

In the first half, perhaps more than the second, Danny lacked control, gave the ball away cheaply, found his usual blind alleys, and his pass selection was poor. In the second half he started to be slightly more useful.

That being said the level of performance of the team was such that he was not the only one found wanting....
That could be it; the commentators and match reporter thought Stevens was excellent because the others were pretty poor!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Jeff summed it up well, it was a pretty awful game of football just like last year there only we got the goal this time. Agreed fully with Martin Ling's assessment, not so much Dean Holdsworth's. They were the more forceful side but Bobby didn't have to make too many saves, one from a cross/shot but nothing else. Their final ball or final finish was park standard and I never really felt we'd conceed. 'Stopping it in the 2nd round' err no. If that had happened the judges would have been fired. If he wants a side battering the other and not winning get him a video of our match with Wycombe at home last season where the keeper made a collection of top drawer saves and the woodwork was rattled more times than Paul Buckle in front of a BBC camera post match. But hey 'that's football' differing opinions.

Defensively we were good, Oastler had a poor start to the game but got better (altho he still goes to ground too much), Nicho I thought was excellent against their fast winger. Only one time he got the best of him but the ball in was toilet anyway. 2 centre halfs dealt with most things, I'm yet to be 100% convinced with Saah but if your team keeps a clean sheet the defense must have done something right. Talking mainly about the defense because no one else was anywhere near the levels they can be at. Maybe it was the tough game and the occasion Saturday that drained them who knows. They say a good team wins when they don't play well and I hope that was the case last night.

7 points from 3 games with 2 of them being away and being 0-2 down in the first one, I'd have taken that!!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Thing is with Stevens he actually has a football brain. He plays with his head up, he tries to get involved stays wide when he has to, comes inside when he has to and he does have quality on the ball. The problem for him is simple and there's nothing anyone can do about it, he lacks the physical size and strength to impact games regularly and can at times be easily marked. Not helped in a game like yesterday where the ball is aerial bound 80% of the time, he hasn't got a prayer. I thought he put a shift in as best he could and was no better or worse than any other of our attacking players.
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by cosmic74 »

royalgull wrote:Thing is with Stevens he actually has a football brain. He plays with his head up, he tries to get involved stays wide when he has to, comes inside when he has to and he does have quality on the ball. The problem for him is simple and there's nothing anyone can do about it, he lacks the physical size and strength to impact games regularly and can at times be easily marked. Not helped in a game like yesterday where the ball is aerial bound 80% of the time, he hasn't got a prayer. I thought he put a shift in as best he could and was no better or worse than any other of our attacking players.
Fair summary there!

On a seperate subject, What was their mascot all about, looked like a cross between a fish and a parrot!!!! =D
I live for matchdays!!!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I thought it was Barnsleygull trying to get in for free, tight northern git.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

royalgull wrote:Thing is with Stevens he actually has a football brain. He plays with his head up, he tries to get involved stays wide when he has to, comes inside when he has to and he does have quality on the ball. The problem for him is simple and there's nothing anyone can do about it, he lacks the physical size and strength to impact games regularly and can at times be easily marked. Not helped in a game like yesterday where the ball is aerial bound 80% of the time, he hasn't got a prayer. I thought he put a shift in as best he could and was no better or worse than any other of our attacking players.
I would have said that it is lack of a footballer’s brain that is his major drawback rather than his stature. However when the two are combined I fail to see how he commands a place in the starting line up.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just noticed the first of your quotes from the legend that is Ernst Happel, Yellow. What a footballing hero in our austrian sporting history and only fitting that our national stadium in Wien is named after him. ( some Austrians still call it the Prater but they are well behind the times!!). The second quote is also really clever although listening to Coldplay post PARACHUTES brings me out in a rash and makes me bilious! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
DerbyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by DerbyGull »

I listened to the game and it did sound pretty poor from us!! It sounded like the defence was pretty solid all night although now i've seen the highlights i've got to say we were definitely helped out by their poor accuracy at times. In the commentary they said their keeper handled out of the box and should have got sent off, its not in the highlights so i can't say if he should have been but by the sounds of things he could have spent the match in the changing room anyway and the score would still have been 0-1 given the amount of chances we had!! The commentator suggested that Stevens had been one of our better players which considering i hardly heard him mention his name is a bit surprising!!!

Anyway onwards and upwards we got the three points and now there is a fat b*stard to beat on Saturday :scarf:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

DerbyGull wrote:I listened to the game and it did sound pretty poor from us!! It sounded like the defence was pretty solid all night although now i've seen the highlights i've got to say we were definitely helped out by their poor accuracy at times. In the commentary they said their keeper handled out of the box and should have got sent off, its not in the highlights so i can't say if he should have been but by the sounds of things he could have spent the match in the changing room anyway and the score would still have been 0-1 given the amount of chances we had!! The commentator suggested that Stevens had been one of our better players which considering i hardly heard him mention his name is a bit surprising!!!

Anyway onwards and upwards we got the three points and now there is a fat b*stard to beat on Saturday :scarf:
Most local radio football commentators are never much good at commentating, because most of the time they don't tell you what's actually going on. Years ago you could close your eyes and listen to a football commentary, and picture the game in detail in your mind's eye. Not these days.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

austrianandygull wrote:Just noticed the first of your quotes from the legend that is Ernst Happel, Yellow. What a footballing hero in our austrian sporting history and only fitting that our national stadium in Wien is named after him. ( some Austrians still call it the Prater but they are well behind the times!!). The second quote is also really clever although listening to Coldplay post PARACHUTES brings me out in a rash and makes me bilious! :lol:
You are more than kind.

I don’t know much about Ernst other than I loved the quote.

No I am not a Coldplay fan myself (clever but slightly soulless and anaemic IMHO), however it was and remains my feeble attempt to show that it is appropriate match day run-out music because of the lyrics.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Southampton Gull wrote:I thought it was Barnsleygull trying to get in for free, tight northern git.
You all missed it then. it was Matt trying to get in for free and wthout being recognised as owning that bright orange tango in the car park.
Sorry Matt Nothing personal lol
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Glostergull wrote: You all missed it then. it was Matt trying to get in for free and wthout being recognised as owning that bright orange tango in the car park.
Sorry Matt Nothing personal lol
at last. someone knows the truth about fiatlover...............
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Southampton Gull wrote:I thought it was Barnsleygull trying to get in for free, tight northern git.
Me me larf