Southampton v Torquay Match Day Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

great report jeff as usual - despite the fact i wanted you "out" earlier........... :Oops: =D

good to hear about RH. had to laugh at the burton highlights when YTS stevens went to congratulate him after the goal....

talk about little and large....... =D =D =D =D =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Glostergull wrote:

That's twice tonight you've put "Strongbow is pseudo cider".

NO IT IS F@CKIN NOT !!! :@ :rofl:

It is however a refreshing shandy when compared to hard core rough. :nod: :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Well done Jeff and thanks, another superb match report :clap:

Now I can sign out and go bed. :zzz:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Heard this game on the radio and glad i did, maybe the scoreline could have been a lot closer, there were suggestion's on the radio that Manse won the ball fairly, Atieno's goal may have been on side aswell, and with LRT hitting the post who knows on another day.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Trojan 67 wrote:
That's twice tonight you've put "Strongbow is pseudo cider".

NO IT IS F@CKIN NOT !!! :@ :rofl:

It is however a refreshing shandy when compared to hard core rough. :nod: :-D
When you've been drinking cider as long as I have, you'll realise how lacking in flavour, body and after-taste it is, compared with the real stuff. I sometimes wonder if it's made with foreign apples, added sugar and water. Mind you, like a few others over the years I always had most of my cider from Churchward's farm, but even the Cider Bar's liquid sunshine ain't what it used to be years ago. And now it's confirmed that Blackthorn has a Bristol Rovers connection. I'm very depressed.... :'(
Last edited by Gullscorer on 09 Aug 2011, 23:10, edited 2 times in total.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

forevertufc wrote:Heard this game on the radio and glad i did, maybe the scoreline could have been a lot closer, there were suggestion's on the radio that Manse won the ball fairly, Atieno's goal may have been on side aswell, and with LRT hitting the post who knows on another day.
Sounded like a great peformance which bodes well for the future. I now have a feeling the Gulls will win convincingly at Bristol on Saturday. Certainly Mr Buckle, having watched most of the match, must be very worried now.
Last edited by Gullscorer on 10 Aug 2011, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.
ChertseyGull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Zebs.

Post by ChertseyGull »

Enjoyed that game, well done the lads, score line very flattering for Saints! We were so unlucky not to make it 2-2 after a period of domination in 2nd half in which you really would not have ever thought they were two tiers above us in the league! So ignore the score, that was a really good performance, to echo the match report Howe was fantastic, a real handfull. For me though our MOTM was O'Kane who was without doubt the best player on the park, if we manage to keep him past the Jan transfer window ill be amazed, I'm sure a nice 3 figure sum will be on the table from a championship club, perhaps Saints. Right bring on the Gas, see you all at the Mem.
ChertseyGull p.s well done to those who made the trip up from Devon, 350 or so a Tuesday nightin August is a superb effort. :bow: :bow:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The fans did us proud tonight. in remarkable voice. friends/relatives suitably impressed.
Dave

BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

It has been confirmed that Blackthorn has a Bristol Rovers connection for over a decade :~D Our main home end is named after the Torn and it has been one of our shirt sponsors for about 8 years.

Oh dear looks like you have been dancing with the devil :devil:

Blackthorn is immense. The good folk of Bristol drink it like water :)
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

On the way home I remembered 2 other moments of action in the game, that I forgot to put in my initial report:

First one was right at the end of the first half with the score at 2-1. Great cross from Morris deep on the left us firmly met by Atieno with a deft header, on a diagonal run to the near post. The ball beats Bialkowski down to his right, but unfortunately the celebrations are cut short by the linos flag. This was at the opposite end to the gulls fans so hard to tell if it was the correct call or not.

Second one is at 3-1, Lallana showed some neat trickery on the edge of the area, works a yard of space and fires a superb dipping shot off the face of the crossbar and away.

I don't think I forgot anything else!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

BritishGAS wrote:It has been confirmed that Blackthorn has a Bristol Rovers connection for over a decade :~D Our main home end is named after the Torn and it has been one of our shirt sponsors for about 8 years.

Oh dear looks like you have been dancing with the devil :devil:

Blackthorn is immense. The good folk of Bristol drink it like water :)
I do like Blackthorn. Where can I get free samples on Saturday? (Or at least a good supply on tap?) :|
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

Gullscorer wrote: I do like Blackthorn. Where can I get free samples on Saturday? (Or at least a good supply on tap?) :|
Literally every pub in Bristol serves Blackthorn on tap, You will be hard pressed to find one that doesn't, so you wont find that a problem :)

I despair whenever I go south of Somerset, or north of Bristol as Blacthorn is very hard to come by in the boozers and it seems nobody else in the country drinks it :(
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Southampton Gull wrote:The fans did us proud tonight. in remarkable voice. friends/relatives suitably impressed.
Posting from your cell at Southampton nick, I take it?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

BritishGAS wrote: Literally every pub in Bristol serves Blackthorn on tap, You will be hard pressed to find one that doesn't, so you wont find that a problem :)

I despair whenever I go south of Somerset, or north of Bristol as Blacthorn is very hard to come by in the boozers and it seems nobody else in the country drinks it :(
:-D
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

might sound over optimistic but at 2-1 i thought we could have nicked it. we were fighting to create the chances but it wasnt happening.

that said, southampton look a very confident, professional side and it looked like they had more in the tank. they were barely out of first gear. some of their passing moves just carved us apart and although we had our moments we lost to a very good side.

4-1 doesnt really do us justice when you look at the stats.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele