Southampton v Torquay Match Day Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

HRG wrote: AHEM! I hope you are not referring to Hereford Bix? English as anyone we be :engflag: :) .

course he is! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

SNW - the reason you are screwing up every quote is because you either delete part of the code, or try to quote more than three posts. You can't do that.
As you got one right I made that comment, then you promptly stuffed up the next one!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Bixie, i wallow and share in your misery. I too experience this all to regularly when needing an injury time goal to win a bet arrives..........but to the opposition! I have to say that my feelings so far are that Southampton could just be a really strong side destined for the Prem whilst Burton are better than we give them credit for ( they got a 3-3 away at Burnley with 2 late goals ). If this is the case then i think we have done really well in our first two games. We NEED a win at the mem on saturday now.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

The scoreline is a shame but I shall await the match reports, hopefully they'll elaborate on some of the positives Camb spoke of.

Now back to me book.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Scott Brehaut wrote:SNW - the reason you are screwing up every quote is because you either delete part of the code, or try to quote more than three posts. You can't do that.
As you got one right I made that comment, then you promptly stuffed up the next one!!

:lol: Supes did it on purpose.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Scott Brehaut wrote:SNW - the reason you are screwing up every quote is because you either delete part of the code, or try to quote more than three posts. You can't do that.

i know, i know. 8/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote:
:lol: Supes did it on purpose.
well spotted troj. :clap:

unlike some................. :no:

TUST Member 468

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Jeff's on line. That means a match report is on it's way. :clap: :bow: :clap:

Edit : Well, he was, now he's gone (and no match report). :(
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote:Jeff's on line. That means a match report is on it's way. :clap: :bow: :clap:

Edit : Well, he was, now he's gone (and no match report). :(
poor.

JEFF OUT!! =D

TUST Member 468

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Strongbow is pseudo-cider. I've always preferred Blackthorn.
Oops... doesn't Blackthorn have some sort of connection with Bristol Rovers? :-/
Yes indeed it goes. The main singing part of the Rovers crowd are in there behind the Rovers Goal ie the home end. still have a laugh when I remember their advertising around Bristol in 1990 when Rovers had won the promotion at the expence of City having beaten them 3-0 at Twerton Azteca. It read "Rovers-3 City-0 Definately a dry Blackthorn day"
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

flippin eckythump. That last post took 36 mins to get online. every time I tried it said another post got in front instead. How does that happen guys?

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Ye Gods. its like London Buses. It took half an hour to get that last post online always either trying to kick me off or saying another post in front. Hows that happen. And then after all that i find it has come up with 3 copies

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

bixieupnorth wrote:welsh twaaats!!
Oi watch it You great Northern twit

Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Disappointingly, I was spot on with the 4-1 prediction. However, it was nothing like I anticipated - we were competitive (although tired badly at the end) and there were plenty of positives to take away.

We started slightly shakily at the back, carrying on from Saturday unfortunately. There was plenty of space to exploit, but we were let off mainly by the awful link up and finishing of the home forward Guly. But aside from Olejnik fumbling a cross behind, prior to the goal we were rarely threatened. Up the other end, we looked fairly threatening. Howe and Atieno clearly had the makings of a good partnership. In fact, early on we forced a couple of corners which fell invitingly around the box but we were unable to convert.

Throughout the first half Oastler was finding himself pulled inside, leaving plenty of space for Holmes the left winger to get forward into position. However, it was from our suspect left flank that the goal came. Some very soft marking and pressure on the ball, and the winger de Ridder found himself goalside and in plenty of space on the right side of the box. A simple ball through took 3 of our side out of the game, and de Ridder was able to fizz a tidy shot across Bobby and into the far corner. 0-1.

Rather than crumble, we hit back immediately. Great hold up play from Howe, who lays the ball out wide to Morris. His left footed cross is bang on the money, and a completly unmarked Manse heads in from no more than 6yds out. Game on again!

Southampton were causing us problems with their movement, but we were solid and organised and they were unable to find a killer pass. The goal came rather from nothing. A poor headed clearance from Oastler fell to Schneiderlein who showed some sumptuous skill to manoeuvre in the centre, only to be dumped to the deck by Manse. Up stepped Lambert, free kick over the wall and low down to Bobbys right hand. 1-2. It looked like Bobby could have done better, he was hardly at full stretch.

Half time we were pleased with the positives. Howe's hold up play was superb, Atieno's was also top notch. 2 strong strikers with strength and a great touch - Kee will find it hard to win his place back.

The second half was a more cagey affair. Plenty of movement from the home side, but few clear cut chances. A few shots were had, but were denied by last ditch blocks by the improving Saah.

We created a handful of chances - some nice set up play from Morris nearly had Atieno in, as did a cross which was just behind Atieno's head. Rowe had a superb turn and shot deflected away for a corner, and we had moments of threat.

We so so nearly made it 2-2. Sub Macklin beat his man nicely down the right and delivered a superb cross to the back stick, where it was met by a towering header by ..........Stevens! Of course, we all know that a headed goal by Stevens is one of the signs of the apocalypse, and rather than the stadium crumbling into a flaming hole, he was denied by a superb sprawling stop by Bialkowski and the rebound was blocked too. So close!

Straight to the other end, and we're 3-1 down. Lallana i believe slips a perfect through ball between Robbo and LRT on the left side of our defence, and Chaplow is able to finish on a tight angle. Harsh on us.

The remainder of the game resembled pre season, Saints stroking the ball around and us chasing shadows. Howe and Atieno were still working hard, but Howe was visibly tired and less effective (FWIW I thought we should have subbed him, rather than Morris, to give him a break as he is clearly lacking a bit of fitness). We were struggling to cope, and sure enough we were opened up again down our left. Again, a ball between Robbo and LRT, a cross low to the far post and Forte slides in to make it 4-1. Slightly harsh on us.

There was still one last shot from Manse that was spilled by Bialkowski for a corner, but there was no time for the flag kick and again we are out of the cup at the first hurdle.

But far from being despondent, there are many positives to be taken. Howe and Atieno were outstanding upfront, Howe more so. Great touch, strength and aerial ability from both, with some great link up play. Make no mistake, these two are a threat. Manse and O'kane have formed a great partnership in the centre, very effective. Morris has showed he has a fantastic delivery, and can play some great balls if he has a willing runner (I.e not Kee!). However defensively we still have a number of questions, particularly around the languid Saah (although he got better) and the fact that Robbo has been moved to left of the defence and that's where 3 of the goals came from.

Anyway, ratings:

Olejnik - 6 - no real moments to shine. However dropped a routine cross early on and I'd question whether he could have done better with the free kick
Oastler - 6 - some positional issues, and sloppy passing. Only once did he overlap the winger
Saah - 6 - started shaky again, improved with some good blocks second half. Has to be happy that we kept Lambert so quiet
Robbo - 6 - positive in that the Saints forwards never really tested us, however doesnt look as comfortable on the left side
Nico - 5.5 - looked a little off the pace
Manse - 7.5 - great to see him in the centre. Loving the forward runs and technically his midfield play has improved from when he last had a run there
O'Kane - 7 - some great passes as usual, everything goes through him
Morris - 6.5 - superb delivery for the goal and in second half. Never pushes forward though
McPhee - 5 - poor. Rarely in the game
Atieno - 8 - I liked what I saw. Good in air and good feet, pace and power. Will be a threat
Howe - 8.5 - my MOTM. ball sticks to him like glue, never lost possession and always played sensible and worthwhile passes.

LRT - 5.5 - great athleticism but suspect defensively
Stevens - 6 - busy, and actually looked like he wanted to take people on for once
Macklin - 6.5 - finally did take people on, showed his pace and that he can cross. Starting to get in my good books.

All in all, there were more positives than negatives despite the scoreline. We won't face movement like that again for a while, and I thought we acquitted ourselves well and were competitive until we faltered at the end, no doubt due to the endless chasing of the ball as Saints moved it around. Still work to do defensively, but there is enough there to work with.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

chat, ok, hello, etc... 8/ =D[/quote]
I DIIDNNTT KKNNNOOOWWWW. :na:[/quote]
I forgive you :) .[/quote]

Awe
Thats awfully nice of you HRG. I always had an eye for the ladies, <3 but it helps if I can see em to identify em first lol.