Southampton v Torquay Match Day Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Southampton v Torquay Match Day Thread

Post by tktufc91 »

Southampton v Torquay United - Carling Cup 1st Round

So, after the thrills and spills of the opening day 2-2 draw at home to Burton, The Gulls travel to St Marys for the Carling Cup 1st Round. Torquay will be looking to avenge the Johnstones Paint Trophy match a few years ago, where after finding ourselves 0-2 up in the first half, Southampton pulled it back to 2-2 in the second half, before winning 5-3 on penalities.

Southampton:

The Saints began life back in the Championship with a comprehensive 3-1 home win over Leeds United. The Saints are managed by Nigel Adkins, who guided Saints to promotion last season, just like he did with Scunthorpe in 2007.

I wouldnt be surpirsed to see the Saints rest many of their starting XI and play a reserve side for this fixture, which I hope we could use as some inspiration. I would expect some of the first team regulars would be on the bench, just in case we provide a shock.

Torquay:

The Gulls showed great character to come from 0-2 down to draw 2-2 against Burton just a few days ago. Goals from Rene Howe and Lee Mansell helped the Gulls continue a run of 10 matches unbeaten on the opening day of the season. That draw puts the Gulls 12th after the first round of fixtures, one place higher than Plymouth.

Martin Ling was concerned with the defending of both Burton goals, quoting.

"We need to work on our talking at the back because it wasn't great and probably cost us the three points."

With this tough cup tie, Saints will provide a stern test for our back line.

Southamptons Record in the League Cup (Last 5 seasons)

2010-11: 2nd Round: Lost 1-0 to Bolton (H)
2009-10: 2nd Round: Lost 2-1 to Birmingham (H)
2008-09: 3rd Round: Lost 3-1 to Rotherham (A)
2007-08: 1st Round: Lost 2-1 to Peterborough (A)
2006-07: 3rd Round: Lost 2-0 to Notts County (A)

The Saints have made it to the second round on four occasions in the last five seasons. They have lost to lower league oppositon in the past, but were playing away from home. The last two seasons has seen the Saints draw two Premier League sides in the second round of the competition, narrowly losing to both Bolton and Birmingham by a single goal.

Torquay's record in the League Cup (Last 5 seasons)

2010-11: 1st Round: Lost 1-0 to Reading (AET) (H)
2009-10: 1st Round: Lost 2-1 to Crystal Palace (A)
2006-07: 1st Round: Lost 2-0 to Norwich City (H)
2005-06 1st Round: Lost 4-3 on pens to Bournemouth (0-0 AET) (H)
2004-05: 1st Round: Lost 4-1 to Coventry City (A)

As you can see, our record in the League Cup is not great. The last time The Gulls managed to win a Round 1 match was back in 2001 when goals from David Graham and Chris Brandon against Bournemouth earned the Gulls a trip to White Hart Lane. The Gulls provided the Premier League club a massive scare, before eventually losing 2-0, with second half goals from Ledley King and Les Ferdinand.

This was the squad who started against Burton.

Robert Olejnik
Joe Oastler
Chris Robertson
Brian Saah
Kevin Nicholson
Danny Stevens
Eunan O'Kane
Lee Mansell
Ian Morris (72)
Rene Howe
Billy Kee (68)

Substitutes :

Mark Ellis
Lloyd Macklin (72)
Chris McPhee
Taiwo Atieno (68)
Damon Lathrope

I hope we try out a different front line on Tuesday. I don't think Kee and Howe is a good partnership. They are too simular in my book. I would like to see Atenio and Howe up front. I thought that Howe caused the Burton back line some trouble and with better fitness, can be a dangerous striker for us.

Result:

As for the result, I don't expect us to win. In all honestly, I expect us to lose by a few goals, but I thought that in the Johnstones Paint Trophy a few years back, so who knows. I'm hoping for a positive performance and a good atmosphere from the Torquay fans.

Saints 3-1 Torquay.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

(Never done a matchday thread like this before, so I hope its up to par!!)
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

tktufc91 wrote:Southampton v Torquay United - Carling Cup 1st Round

Never done a matchday thread like this before, so I hope its up to par!!

:clap: :bow: :clap: :nod: :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Saves me a job, so I think it's excellent.

Think we'll get royally humped tomorrow. Nothing to do with us being rubbish, just think that any team that can shaft Leeds United 3-1 (the one being a 94th minute penalty) ought to tear any L2 side to shreds.

Not that he would have played, but glad to see Oxlade-Chamberlain (world's most clumsy name?) has signed for useless Arsenal, one less threat to worry about.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I really fancy we will give an improved performance for this one. we always seem to raise our game for the first match of the league cup and i don't expect Tuesday to be any different.
If anyone is going from Bristol or passing through for this match I would be happy if you could give a lift as I cannot afford to go alone. It's just too expensive. I would of course be happy to share expences
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

We're going to get owned tomorrow night, but I'm only going to tick off a new ground (and a nice one at that) and to make sure I see as many games as I can this season.

However, none of that will stop me shouting and screaming and, once the whistle has gone, believing we can still win.

I'm going to go for a 4-1 defeat. Southampton looked excellent on Saturday evening, and I can see the likes of Lallana, Lambert et al having a bit of a field day.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I'm going to this one, haven't been to St Mary's before so looking forward to it. Even so I think that we will lose 3-1 Howe scoring for Torquay. I also think that the atmosphere will be good from the Yellow Army as well!

Great Match Day Thread tktufc91 btw :-D
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Sorry fellas, but I'm glad that other members are happy to do these. I don't know if I'm going to be on as much as I have been, so if its possible for others to step up then thats great. I'll try and get the Bristol one up though. :)
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

I gues it'll be Howe and Atieno upfront, think I read somewhere that Kee is on u21 duty?
The gulls are going up
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Has anyone got the lineups yet?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Torquay: Olejnik, Nicholson, Robertson, Saah, Mansell, Howe, O'Kane, Morris, McPhee, Oastler, Atieno. Subs: Rice, Rowe-Turner, Ellis, Macklin, Halpin, Stevens, Lathrope.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Saints: Bialkowski, Butterfield, Seaborne, A. Martin, Dickson, De Ridder, Chaplow, Schneiderlin, Holmes, Guly, Lambert. Subs: Davis, Richardson, Harding, Cork, Hammond, Forte, Lallana.

Strong team.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Thanks Jamie.

Lack of pace worrying for the wingers. Would of given Macklin a run tonight - but what do I know!

That is a strong Saints team - will be interesting to see how we cope with Lambert.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

torquay 8/1, big price? imagine we'll get humbled tonight tho, 4-0?
still keeping the faith
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Stevens not starting.

Good. Dinger is learning already....
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Radio Devon commentator : Dave Saunders.

Radio Devon summariser : Steve Breed.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"