Southampton v Torquay Match Day Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Yeah pretty much agree with the consensus, Southampton deserved to win but 4-1 was a bit harsh. Keeper makes a worldy at 2-1 and 30 seconds later instead of 2-2 it's 3-1 and game over.

But some good things to take away, we looked a threat against a good side, we passed the ball well. Morris can cross a ball that's good with these 2 big lads up front who both worked extremely hard. Impressed by Howe and Atieno, thought Saah was awful 1st half very good second half although every time they got a corner I thought they were going to score. McPhee did alright as well don't agree with the 5/10 rating, he tried to get involved as much as possible and did fairly well.

Need to work on our defensive play, i feel if Branno had been playing then 1 or 2 of the goals wouldn't have happened but there we go, otherwise a decent performance and a bit unlucky to lose by 3 goals.

Oh and the toilets were extremely roomy plenty of urinals to cope with everyone's needs, didn't inspect the traps but you can only presume they were in fair order.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Enjoyed the game ,the main difference for me was the finishing, Saints tended to put most opportunities away. Other than that, not much to choose between two footballing sides. It was good to watch and love Ren Howe up front, holds it up, links well and defenders just bounce off him!!!!! Top man.

Disapointed with the crowd (size ) but sign of the times I guess. At least I found a new way to Ikea, can get home in 35 mins from Saints and my 6 yr old son lasted pretty well at his first night match.
TUST #324
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

When I saw the scoreline I was bit gutted there was such a margin, but not fussed that we'd lost in a cup we always do poorly in to a good side 2 divisions above us, and from the reports it sounds as though we can be more than happy with how we performed. I shall consider it extra game time for our team to gel in building up to another league match that matters rather more.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Well, considering that was our heaviest defeat for 4 years...

At "work" so making it quick: First goal, offside, second, never a free kick in a million years. At no stage were Saints the better side, we matched them throughout and were the better side for periods. First gear or not, that's their own fault.

Eunan a different class to everything else on the pitch, not the best officials, play like that every week and we will dish out a few proper beatings.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I thought I should make a quick Report of the game yesterday.

So once again we fail to seem to get a result in the Carling Cup, but that is difficult when you are playing a championship side away from home. The final score was 4-1, however we did not deserve to loss by that margin.

348 travelling fans were in full voice urging the players on from the 1st minute to the last. A fantastic noise from the Yellow Army once again.

Torquay lined up the same as the Burton game, except of Mcphee (in for Danny) and Taiwo (in for Kee.) Rowe-Turner came on for Nicholson when the game was 64 minutes old. Then on 73 minutes Stevens came on for Mcphee, which had a mix reaction from the Yellow Army. Later on, Martin Ling looked at his subs again and brought on Macklin for Morris.

United took little time to get into the game against the Saints, Lee Mansell and Eunan O’Kane working well again with each other. A few crosses were made from Nicholson, Morris and Mcphee in the early stages. Taiwo tried to get on the end of them but unfortunately those chances weren’t taken. Torquay were still going forward strong with Eunan O’Kane taking the first corner of the game. Robertson got up well, but the saints worked hard at the back to deny an opening goal.

Then the home side started to get into the game. A few little mistakes were occurring at the back and in the Midfield. Mcphee and Nicholson were both out of position a few times. Because of that great chances were being made from the Saints front men.

When the first half was only 16 minutes old the first goal came from the home team. A gap was made in Torquay’s midfield and then United got punished from that mistake. Chaplow gave the ball to De Ridder and he slotted the ball home, 1-0.

The away fans did not stop singing and did not stop supporting their team, even though the fans knew this was going to be such a difficult game.

Torquay started going forward again immediately after United conceded a goal. That passage of play was awarded with a goal from the skipper Lee Mansell! That’s 2 goals in 2 games. Rene Howe turned and gave the ball to Morris. Following that, Morris drilled in a terrific cross into the box and Mansell headed the ball home. Torquay equalised within a minute, 1-1.

Afterwards the Saints were on top. They broke well. Saah and Robertson were a bit slow off the mark but no real danger was taking place. Conversely Bobby Olejnik made a bit of a blooper when the ball bounced out of his arms but luckily Brain Saah was in the correct position to get the ball clear.

A free Kick was then given to Southampton when 26 minutes were up. A foul by Lee Mansell on the edge of the box, although the tackle seemed to be a good challenge. Lambert took the free kick and scored. A class free kick, curling up and around the wall until it settled into the bottom corner, 2-1. A few minutes later, United had the ball in the net again. Morris with another fantastic cross which went straight to Tawio who headed it home. However the flag was up for off-side and the score line stayed 2-1 when the half time whistle blew.

As soon as the 2nd half started the Gulls looked good and piled on the pressure. Great movement from Mansell coming forward linking up with the players around him. The attacking part of United’s play was very good, but the defending wasn’t as great. Following that Martin Ling made a change at the back. Nicholson, who had a disappointing game, came off the field for Rowe-Turner. He made a great run down the left wing after a pass from Howe. Rowe-Tuner then ran into the box, shot towards goal but his shot was saved. That got a great response from the Yellow Army!

The Gulls’ manager then turned to his bench again and brought on Danny Stevens for Chris Mcphee when there was only about 20 minutes to go. That change got a mix reaction from the travelling fans.

The Saints then pilled on the pressure once again and had a great chance to seal the game. A shot from the Southampton striker Gully Do Prado went wide. Another passage of play was made from the Saints, but with some great tackling from Oastler the threat of a Southampton 3rd goal was over!
Then Torquay had a fantastic chance to get an equalising goal. Macklin beating two mean, pushing them off the ball with ease and then picking out the 5 foot 1 united winger who headed the ball towards goal but sadly the chance was saved. Danny Stevens could have scored with his head? I don’t think we’ll ever see that again!

After that glorious opportunity from Stevens, Southampton got their 3rd goal. A shot from Chaplow came off Rowe-Turner and went passed Olejnik, 3-1. Even that score line seemed pretty unfair but when the fourth official was about to put the board up signalling 4 minutes injury time, the Saints got a 4th goal. Southampton’s’ substitute Forte scored to make the final score 4-1 and the Saints proceed into the 2nd round of the Carling Cup. Torquay should be proud of how they worked in the 2nd half and the Gulls go on to face Rovers on Saturday!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

That was a world class save by Bialkowski from Danny Stevens' header, comparable to the (1970?) World Cup Gordon Banks save from Pele.

Move Stevens off the wings and play him in the centre, and he'll be another Pele for sure....
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Well, stranger things have happened. Someone nippy could play well off Howe and despite his failings, Danny is a fine finisher.
TUST #324
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

numpte wrote:Well, stranger things have happened. Someone nippy could play well off Howe and despite his failings, Danny is a fine finisher.
That's it then; sorted...
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Agree with most of the comments. Great stadium, shame it wasn't fuller, but a good game to watch. I thought Rene Howe was immense, a big bull of a player who puts himself about to cause defenders real problems. He wins a lot of one on ones and is a very brave player. Atieno was first class too. My only concern was the defensive frailties that others have noted, although some of the Saints forwards and midfielders were very skilful so I don't think we will come across this level of ability too much in League 2. I thought Danny did well when he came on, I hope this bodes well?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Have some posts gone missing or something?

It wasn't our biggest defeat for four years, as Regiment said we lost 4-1 to City in the playoffs and we also lost by a 3 goal margin at Southport.

Still, from the reports, we did ourselves proud.
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

Where is everyone? Over 12 hours and no posts is quite unusual. Been on here a fair few times now and the site doesn't seem to be down.