Torquay United v Burton Albion - League 2 - 06/08/11

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Just seen the goals back on the Football league show (couldn't be bothered to stay up last night for it!)

On the face of it it looks bad for Oastler as he was involved for both of the goals. However Richards is a quick player and a good finisher so I think any of our back 4 would have struggled in that situation so no blame attached there. The second goal is just awful for all our defensive unit. Poor positioning all round to let their guy get so much space, bit of bad luck that the nothing cross that was produced reared up off Oastlers shins, and I still think Bobby should have done better in trying to claim the ball and Oastler could have made a bit more of an effort on the line. Maybe a little harsh but it was a poor goal to concede.

Our goals were sheer quality. Great passing for both goals, fantastic composure from Howe to take his chance. When was the last time we had a player who looked so calm in that situation? And great instinctive finish from Mansell. I remember in his first season with us (relegations season) when he played in central midfield and scored quite a few goals. He seemed to be making a lot of late runs into the box yesterday so I expect to see him troubling the scorers on a regular basis.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Just seen them myself and can't really blame Oastler, for the first he was never able to get into a position to make a challenge due to the speed of Richards and I still feel Olejnik should have done better for the second.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Don't think I could add much more than whats already been written, but one thing I will say is our vocal support was very poor.

I know in the second half, whoever was on the drum moved towards the half way line, and I didn't hear it at all throughout the second half. We did get a few songs going in the first half but they weren't very loud. We did try to get a rendition of Martin Ling's Yellow Army going for about 5 minutes, but it was far too quiet. The only time we were really loud was when we scored both our goals.

Thankfully our away support is much more vocal and with awayday at Bristol (and Southampton?) we can get a proper atmosphere going.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

There was a drum there? :L
The gulls are going up
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Yes. The singers and drum were at the far end of the popside, closest to the away end, for the first half. All their effort to create an atmosphere was wasted. The rest of the Torquay fans cannot hear them and therefore do not join in.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

goodluckgull wrote:Yes. The singers and drum were at the far end of the popside, closest to the away end, for the first half. All their effort to create an atmosphere was wasted. The rest of the Torquay fans cannot hear them and therefore do not join in.

it doesnt work, move back to the middle
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:
it doesnt work, move back to the middle
Completely agree, in my only trip to Plainmoor last season (v Wycombe) it was awful with all the singers down the bottom end. I stood somewhere in the middle of the two groups and they were out of time with each other, assuming they were even singing the same song. It would be almost impossible to hear the away end fans in the family stand.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Not been able to get on over the weekend. Probably all already been said by now, but a few musings…It was the first game of the season, so things are going to take time to settle in. We were superb in pre-season, but there is an obvious difference in friendlies. Having said that, we looked surprisingly disjointed. There was no fluidity to our play at all, and the petty squabbling between several players in the first-half was very disappointing to witness. The cricket term is ‘under-cooked’, and that is exactly how we appeared in the first half. A few ‘partnerships’ need some serious hours on the training ground. I’ve already jinxed Saah by suggesting he’d be our most impressive player this season – he was all over the place, nothing like as assured as he was in pre-season. As a result of that, Robbo looked increasingly panicked as the game wore on too. One of them needs to start talking. Up front, Howe and Kee are individually both fine – but they are both very similar. I said it previously, and still believe we’re going to miss not having a nippy ‘fox in the box’. Work to do there too. Down our left-side, Nico and Morris were on different wavelengths all afternoon. The only combination that fired for me, and the reason we nicked a point, was Manse and O’Kane. Their endeavour and quality (not to mention the formers goal), and some last-gasp work by Olejnik between the sticks, were the real plus points of the afternoon. Not the start I expected, but we showed some good spirit to come back from 2-0 down. Much work to do, but the talent is there. Just as we thought it was previously.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Not as much noise as we would have liked, but perhaps it will pick up a bit further into the season. After all, it was sleepy summer South Devon siesta time. But it raises the question: do people expect the crowd to lift the players or the players to lift the crowd?

As to Billy Kee, I'm tempted to say I do not rate him as highly as many people do, certainly not quite as highly as Howe and Atieno, but, as Fonda says, it is only the first league game, and we should wait for a few games into the season before making any judgement. Kee certainly has ability and he, and the rest of the squad, can and will improve and become a formidable force (with our support of course).

And I'm beginning to be extremely happy that Mr Ling, rather than Mr Buckle, is now in charge.