FA Cup 1st Round; Mansfield vs Torquay - Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

:)
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

bixieupnorth wrote:good win, how much we miss out on from sky anyone?

About £27,000 :?
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

westbaygull wrote:Phew, thank goodness! Balls in the bag tomorrow!! Now, if the game is back on Saturday, I need a good excuse for missing a party..... ;-)

Football is a perfectly good excuse to miss anything!
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

BlueYellow wrote:
Football is a perfectly good excuse to miss anything!
Not to my football-hating girly friends... dilemma time
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

westbaygull wrote: Not to my football-hating girly friends... dilemma time
Heads you go go football, Tails you go football........you get the idea Jane
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Blue Yellow
"go go football"
Now that'd be worth watching! ;-)

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

BlueYellow wrote:
About £27,000 :?
Thanks Charlton/Barnet, that's a middling salary for a year you've cost us by both being TOO BORING TO SCORE!

Extra incentive to stuff Barnet now, for costing us a bloody fortune.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

We got it done in the end, much better second half than first. Apart from one header, bevan was hardly troubled after the break whilst we looked much sharper and played with a much better tempo. It was a tough draw, and we got the job done.

Haven't got time to do a full match report, though it's worth saying I was impressed with kee - he seemed most able to make something happen. Benyon's finish was smart, although his touch to set himself was awful and he was lucky that he was still able to get his shot away.

Although it's disappointing we don't get the sky game, there are positives. Barnets draw today makes it likely Stimson will still be in charge next Saturday. This, coupled with them having one eye on their cup tie gives us a good chance of taking the points. And our opponents after - Stockport - have a tough midweek trip now to Peterborough before they host us, whilst we have a free week. Another great chance of some points!

End of the day, we did all we needed to do and are in the hat. Tough draw, job done.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Hi all - my first post on here, and just back from this afternoons game. I'm a 2nd year university student at Westminster, living in Milton Keynes, and a Gulls fan since 1997 thanks to parents being from the bay. Decided after a year or so of reading posts that I should lose my torquayfans.com virginity with a match report from today's game.

Well what a horrible game that was! Arrived at a very cold Field Mill at 2.15 and wandered over to the ground with my Dad. A reasonable £10 got me into the ground, and quite a smart one it is too. Two tiered on one side, and modern one-tiered stands at either end...but a stand that makes our own grandstand look like Wembley on the far side! However, unhappy memories from previous visits (the postponement fiasco, and the 3-0 loss under Leroy) left me a little fearful. Watching the players warm up, the only absentee I couldn't account for was Guy Branston, injured apparently?

On to the game then, and a very cagey opening with both sides exchanging some early snapping tackles. Wroe, particuarly, was on the end of a crunching tackle that saw the offender booked, but, equally, Oastler was really getting stuck in for us as well. Mansfield were passing and moving nicely, and, a couple of times, our marking let us down a little bit at the back, allowing their wingers to flash low crosses in which thankfully no-one could connect with. The only time a connection was made was when a cross hit Charnock on the back which required a spectacular reflex from Bevan to prevent us going behind. We had a few chances of our own, Mansell sending a fizzing shot over the bar and, after a great headed flick on from Zebs, Benyon found himself through one on one but forced an excellent save from Pilkington in the Mansfield goal. But overall our passing game wasn't as good as theirs and we were looking suspiciously one-dimensional. Ramone Rose unfortunately went off after only 15 minutes, having had a few nice touches, and Billy Kee came on, which was a real dissapointment. Let's hope it's not too serious. Kee was impressive though, putting himself about excellently, and sent a couple of long range efforts wide after some neat build up play. And then, just as it looked as though we were getting back into it, Mansfield won a very soft free kick, the resulting effort looking as though it was going well over before dipping and clipping the crossbar. Hearts in mouths time!

So halftime came and in all honesty both sides were lucky to go in without conceding. It did feel like we weren't using our strength out wide though but that, if we could, we would be in with a chance.

The second half began at a ferocious pace with the Gulls, presumably after a real talking to by Bucks, set about Mansfield and really had them on the ropes. Oastler (I think) set up first Benyon, and then Nicho, for chances that they both hit straight at the impressive Pilkington. Then Zebs went on one of his runs where it looks as though he's completely out of control, but put in a great cross which Benyon headed straight at Pilkington. And then Nicky Wroe chipped in with an effort, picking up the ball from about 40 yards, beating 3 or 4 players, and then unleashing a shot that went well over in the end. Nicky then had another great chance from the edge of the box after a corner was cleared, but Pilkington again saved well down low to his right. Frenetic stuff, and it wasn't done yet! Robbo then had a great chance from another corner, but headed just wide of the near post. Zebs again went on one of his runs, and ended up putting in a cross-cum-shot that was cleared off the line by the Mansfield left-back.

At this point, Bucks bought on Stevens for the excellent Oastler and, a few minutes later, O'Kane on for Charnock (who also had a great game) who sadly limped off. However, with the team galvanised by the influx of pace that accompanied those subsitutions, we went at Mansfield again. After a free kick was cleared, O'Kane broke at speed and we were 3 v 3 - he played in Stevens with a superb ball. Danny cut inside (leaving their fullback on his arse) and shot low for the near post. Pilkington got down well though and made the save.

But he wasn't so lucky the next time. Again, O'Kane counter-attacked and played in Stevens once more. Again Danny cut inside but this time picked out Benyon at the far post with a great low cross. Elliot had time to control it, and then sent it accross Pilkington into the opposite corner...right in front of the Gulls fans!! Delirium from the travelling Gulls!!

Full time came very soon after, and, to rapturous applause, Bucks and his boys came over to celebrate with the fans what was a very ugly but hard-fought win! A result that was very harsh on Mansfield, I thought, but who cares!

Special mention to the travelling fans - we turned up in great number with 201 of us there, and sang our hearts out. Also special credit to the polite round of applause given when Tyrone Thompson came on for them. A nice touch. Mansfield's fans also did them credit as well - they sang constantly for 90 minutes and were very loud. Some good natured banter was had too. Their keeper Pilkington also deserves a mention, a great performance from him, and a top guy for applauding us Gulls fans at the end as well.

My ratings:
Bevan - 8 - Didn't have a massive amount to do but that reflex save from Charnock's deflection was world-class. Kept us in it and for that reason alone is worth a high rating!

Nicho - 7 - Was caught out a few times in the first half, but overall was very sound. Set pieces weren't as good as usual, but defended excellently.

Ellis - 6 - One of his quieter games. Marking was a little suspect early on, but picked it up as the match went on and did little wrong.

Charnock 7 - Took his chance to impress well. Had Mansfield's striker in his pocket most of the game, tackled well, and read the game nicely. Will be a shame to see him move on, if indeed he does.

Robbo - 8 - One of his best performances. Solid and dependable, kept their winger pretty quiet, and passed well out of defence too. Always a handful at corners as well!

Zebs - 7 - We didn't really utilise him enough. He terrified their fullback though, beat him constantly, and sent in some good crosses. Only complaint is that, for me, he didn't track back enough to help Robbo.

Wroe - 7 - Great to have him back to his old self. A real box-to-box performance. Helping out in defence, spraying around some lovely passes in the middle, and marauding forward well too.

Oastler - 7 - Really impressed by this lad. A tenacious midfielder who isn't afraid to get stuck into a tackle. A few wayward passes at times, but overall I'm delighted Bucks brought him in.

Mansell - 7 - His usual passionate self! Shouting at team-members, organising everyone, and really helping the youngsters through what was a very tough and physical game. Commited tackles, and a few fizzing shots as well.

Rose - 6 - Had 15 minutes before being stretchered off. A couple of nice touches but his afternoon was, dissapointlingly, cut short. Hope he's ok.

Benyon - 8 - Did not stop running all game, a constant menace for Mansfield. Won a suprising number of headers too. Took his goal brillantly. When you see the highlights, you'll see what a difficult chance it was and how well he did. Fantastic stuff.

SUBS:
Kee - 7 - Great performance from the lad and you can see his confidence is back after his goal from Tuesday. Put himself about well, made lots of runs off the ball, and had a few chances as well. Glad he's back on form.

O'Kane - 7 - Excellent cameo role - came on and ran at Mansfield's creaking defence and had a hand in the goal.

Stevens - 7 - Ditto above. Turned their fullback inside and out several times before having a hand in the goal as well.

Overall, a superb afternoon, and a great result!

Here's to many more posts, and up the Gulls!

John
Last edited by miltonkeynesgull on 06 Nov 2010, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

cheers for that report John.

and welcome to Torquay Fans.Com!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Well, firstly welcome to TorquayFans.com, John. What a fantastic report.

That was a very enjoyable read and goes some way to making up for not being able to go myself.

I'll very much look forward to seeing some more of the same from you over the course of the season.

Many thanks.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Thanks for the kind welcome chaps, and I'm so sorry for my massive faux pas at the beginning of my report! Amended accordingly. Massive apologies! Not the best start to a first post - I blame the long journey back myself.

John
Last edited by miltonkeynesgull on 06 Nov 2010, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

just been on the mansfield website, and you would think we were dick turpin!

it basically said they were robbed and we were sh*t amd lucky to win - would be interested to hear what others think!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:just been on the mansfield website, and you would think we were dick turpin!

it basically said they were robbed and we were sh*t amd lucky to win - would be interested to hear what others think!
miltonkeynesgull makes it sound much better than it was. He said it was a 'horrible game' and that is a good description.

If you wanted to be harsh, both teams were sh*t, and you could say that either team might have been lucky to win. But I thought that overall, in the end, we were probably the better side and just about deserved to win. It wasn't pretty! Why do we constantly hoof or head the ball high and long?

As for miltonkeynesgull's ratings, I thought they were generous to Zebrowski as he did very little until the last 20 minutes, so much so that their left back was made man of the match. Also, giving Rose '6' is questionable. He did absolutely nothing before he got injured, and so the '6' can only be for getting changed and warming up.

This was my first game this season, so I don't how this compares to previous performances. But if this was 'normal' then it is easy to see why attendances are dropping off. If I still lived in Torquay, I wouldn't be going on a regular basis to watch that dross.

I'm still pleased we've won, which I suppose was the aim of the exercise, but it really wasn't very good.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

oldpedant wrote:
As for miltonkeynesgull's ratings, I thought they were generous to Zebrowski as he did very little until the last 20 minutes
Oldpedant, can I be a "young" pedant, and point out that his name is Zebroski.......

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com