FA Cup 1st Round; Mansfield vs Torquay - Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:just been on the mansfield website, and you would think we were dick turpin!

it basically said they were robbed and we were sh*t amd lucky to win - would be interested to hear what others think!
We certainly wern't great, but they must be a blinkered lot at Mansfield. They carried a minimal threat up front, they created nothing second half apart from one header from a long throw which Bevan saved.

Their right winger (Briscoe?) looked handy enough and gave Nico a hard time, although that was more to do with our lopsided shape which meant that Nico didn't get much help. Their other winger (Smith) was utterly useless - Right foot or left foot he couldn't cross to save his life.

It was an awful game, I think we improved enough second half to say we shaded it and the one moment of quality won it for us.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

oldpedant = apt name . we are in the second round = job done
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:just been on the mansfield website, and you would think we were dick turpin!

it basically said they were robbed and we were sh*t amd lucky to win - would be interested to hear what others think!

I was thinking what to post without hurting too many ego's on this site, thankfully Barnsley old mate you helped me out. The above report from the Mansfield fans is correct. We should have been four down in the first half. Mansfield played some great passing football (we as usual pumped it down the the middle to no one in particular) and they went past our midfield as if they weren't there-well in fact they weren't! In fairness to the midfield though, the entire team in the first half were crap~except for Bevan who was excellent! Second half was a marked improvement and we actually put a few decent passes together. I suppose in the end we had that bit extra about us...but make no mistake...we were lucky!

Good point being...I got in for a tenner.

Interesting point being... their fans. There was a small group (30-40) of their fans who never stopped singing, and boy was it loud...fair play to them. It goes to show with the right accoustics and a handfull of die hard supporters you can really make some noise!
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

I think I heard the commentator say something about the magic of the FA cup to which DT responded to the effect that there wasn t a lot of magic on display.

I also liked DT s anecdotal quote by Ian Atkins on the difference between a long ball and a long pass. The former being played into space, the latter being played to a player. For periods we were in his opinion playing the long ball and Benny was feeding off crumbs.

Still as others have alluded it was a tricky tie, the likes of which have tripped us up in the past, and the boys got the result.

And we are now half way there to that dream tie that it is about time we actually got..please God.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

great post yellowme old mucker, a good run in the cup draw lata get through that, then please b hull city at kfc stadium, and of course make a few bob on the way, to make up 4 losin tv money against barnet.
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

eastyorksgull wrote:great post yellowme old mucker, a good run in the cup draw lata get through that, then please b hull city at kfc stadium, and of course make a few bob on the way, to make up 4 losin tv money against barnet.

Hull City wouldn't be a very good draw for us mate. We need to meet a BIG club in the third round to get televised! :)
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

HA HA HA HA HA, yeah your rite del would be fun though.