FA Cup 1st Round; Mansfield vs Torquay - Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

FA Cup 1st Round; Mansfield vs Torquay - Match Thread

Post by Plymouth Gull »

This weekend we have been invited to a stag do. We take a return to our recent past, as we travel to Blue Square Premier side Mansfield. The Stags, who dropped out of the league after the 2007/08 season, are still struggling to get out of the league which I think is the most difficult to get out of. Field Mill is one of the better grounds in the Blue Square Premier, and David Holdworth is the man charged with the duty of trying to get the Stags back in the league. However, things aren't all so rosy at Field Mill at the moment, as the hopes and expectations of the fans aren't quite being reached by the current squad.

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - League 2 - 16th place - 54 points
2006/07 - League 2 - 17th place - 54 points
2007/08 - League 2 - 23rd place - 42 points - RELEGATED TO BLUE SQUARE PREMIER
2008/09 - Blue Square Premier - 12th place - 62 points
2009/10 - Blue Square Premier - 9th place - 62 points

As you can see, the club has been in a bit of a decline since 2005, and the drop out of the league came a year after ours did. However, unlike us, they have not really made much of a mark in the league, finishing 12th and 9th since they dropped down. The club are currently sat in 8th place in the league, but the fans still aren't happy, especially after last weeks 4-1 drubbing at home to league leaders Crawley.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Mansfield wins - 31
Torquay wins - 17
Draws - 18

Looking at that, our record is quite poor against Mansfield. We have only ever recorded 4 away wins, in 33 attempts. Not pretty reading. Our last win in an away fixture against Mansfield was in the 1995/96 season. Our record since then has been much better reading for the home side. There have been recent games where we have lost 5-0, 3-0 and 4-3. Our last game at Field Mill was at the end of March 2009, where a 1-1 draw was earnt thanks to a goal by Blair Sturrock. That was the last time the two clubs met, and alot has changed since then, with us moving back into the league and such.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

DLLDWL

One win in their past 6 games came in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round, but it's 6 without a win in the league. Defeats at Luton (2-0) and Rushden (1-0) have been joined with a home defeat to Crawley (4-1) and two draws, against Darlington and Gateshead. It's been a poor bit of form, and with Rhys Day being sent off last weekend, we can really fancy our chances at the weekend.

PROBABLE LINE-UP.

This is the line up that started the 4-1 defeat to Crawley:

Kevin Pilkington

Paul Stonehouse
Stephen Foster
Rhys Day
Steve Cook

Adam Smith
Adam Murray
Tyrone Thompson
Louis Briscoe

Paul Connor
Peter Vincenti

Subs:

Neil Collett
Gary Silk
Rob Duffy
Keigan Parker
Kyle Nix

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

Looking at that team, there are two players who we all know well, and which will ensure a tough midfield battle, I'm sure. Murray and Thompson will want to prove a point (TT more so, I'm sure). Other big names are Keigan Parker, who I remember from his time with Blackpool. Also Paul Connor has been about a lot in the lower leagues, too. Kevin Pilkington made a loan return to Field Mill recently, and played his first game in the 4-1 defeat last weekend.

PREDICTION.

I wasn't so sure when it happened, but with two consecutive wins, and a clean sheet, coupled with Mansfield missing a centre half, and all the pressure on the players, it all points to an away win.

But this is Torquay!

Still..

Mansfield 1-3 Torquay
Last edited by Plymouth Gull on 04 Nov 2010, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Looks like were out of the rot ;-)

2-0 gulls!!

Benyon and kee!

Expect Stevens and robbo to start this game!

Macklin and possibly Wroe to miss out.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Mansfield have an excellent home record, but that team doesn't look frightfully good on paper. I think we should be going there reasonably confident of a win if we play well. I really want to see us on sky, so fingers crossed for a Gulls and Charlton double.

Bevs

Oastler - Ellis - Branston - Nico

Rose - Wroe - Mansell - Zebs

Benyon - Kee
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Excellent OP as always, Nick.

After the performance last night I'm confident that we can get a result there, won't dare to predict a score but am hopeful of a win.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Yellow4life wrote:
Expect Stevens and robbo to start this game!

Macklin and possibly Wroe to miss out.
Why so?

Oastler to right back, Manse and Wroe in the middle.

EDIT: Cheers Dave :)
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

NickGull wrote: Why so?

Oastler to right back, Manse and Wroe in the middle.

EDIT: Cheers Dave :)

I'm not saying I would drop Wroe(I wouldn't) but Im saying what I think bucks will do- I'm suprised Wroe played yesterday if I'm honest.

He's been doing well, I just can't see bucks playing him 3 games in a row- especially this being a FA cup game.

But again it all comes down to opinions.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

NickGull wrote: HEAD TO HEAD.

Struggled with soccerbase to actually find this, so if anyone could PM me how to get non-league teams involved, I'll update it.
Nick:

http://www.soccerbase.com/head2.sd?team ... am2id=2589

Cheers

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
knh316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: dont have one

Post by knh316 »

you are all putting rose and oastler in the team,but have we received permission to play them? :| :| :|
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

knh316 wrote:you are all putting rose and oastler in the team,but have we received permission to play them? :| :| :|
And, similarly, will Wroe be starting if he's on his way out...?
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

The lads worked so hard on Tuesday night that in an ideal world they'd be given a rest on Saturday. However we all know the financial situation at the club, and it will be a full strength team to try and get a big 3rd round draw. Question marks over Oastler, Wroe, Rose and Hemmings' involvement though.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

1 - 4
Kee hatrick!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

This is a massively important game to the club. The fans may treat early rounds of cup matches with a little bit of contempt but there is £18k for winning this tie and a further £25k for winning round two. Also we havent had many saturday home game of late and a home draw would be greatfully received.

There is also the SKY match coming up and if either us or Barnet draw then we lose that too. The worst scenario is that we lose to Mansfield and Barnet draw and we dip out on around £50k.

I think Bucks will play a strong team as Mansfield are no mugs anyway so hopefully we will get through to round two!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Thanks Scott - although it wasn't good to read! :O
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

knh316 wrote:you are all putting rose and oastler in the team,but have we received permission to play them? :| :| :|

Taken from today's herald:

'United have received clearance for loanees Romone Rose and Joe Oastler (both QPR) and Ashley Hemmings (Wolves) to play in the Cup.'
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Torquay 5 v 2 Mansfield!!

Kee (3)
Benyon (2)

COYY!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.