Weston vs Torquay Pre Season Tonight

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

3-1 (Latimer 72) replying to a WSM goal. My man to watch in the youth team/reserves this year gets a goal.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

And that was the final score - hopefully someone went and will provide us with some snippets of information!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

hopefully a useful run out, some one on betting forum i used reported quite a bit of money being placed on WSM tonight, i guess word must have spread that we were playing the youth team, and 15/8 seemed a good price for a home win to many?

good to see halpin and spear score, hopefully they'll get some sub appearances before long?
still keeping the faith
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Went to this one, surprisingly good match. Weston were a very aggressive side, there number 7, and number 2, were quite simply disgusting, whinging at the ref at every opportunity (ref was apalling).. I was impressed with spear, our numbers 7, 4, 2, and the goalie (ibbetson?) was very impressive. They held there own very well against an extremely physical team. Well done, thoroughly enjoyable game.
The gulls are going up
larryloafer
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by larryloafer »

I felt obliged to go along as I live only 15mins away. I was hoping they may have dropped the price a little because it was a development side but sadly not.

The boys gave a decent account of themselves against a physical Weston side. Yeoman missed a penalty and also hit the crossbar from a freekick but overall the score was a fair reflection of the game.
Halpin came off a halftime and may have picked up a knock, although it did not appear too serious.

Positives-
The team like to pass it about, mostly on the deck and all players look comfy on the ball.
Ibbetson looked like a very good shot stopper.
Spear was lively up front and a feisty little git too. Looks like a choirboy but can dish it out.
Yeoman was tidy in midfield and so was Kudi for the last half hour after moving there from RB.
Manager (Harrop?? short rotund bloke?? ) was very positive with instructions and players really responded well to this.
Niall Thompson was rapid on the wing and although it took him a while to settle into the game after coming on at halftime by the final 20mins he was a real threat.

Negatives
Struggled to get the shape defensively at times and were often unorganised in who was picking up who.
Quite often got ourselves in trouble on our own goalkicks playing short when it really wasn't on. Not sure who to blame for this, keeper for playing the ball or the fullbacks asking for it despite having opposition players close by.

Hope this gives some insight to the match for those who were unable to attend.
premierleaguegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Robertson

Post by premierleaguegull »

Martin Ling was there.

WSM had the majority of the ball but we looked the more professional team. A lot of the players were pretty impressive.
Sammyappz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'kane

Post by Sammyappz »

Went to the game last night, I was very impressed with how the youngsters handled themselves against a strong weston team. They played some good passing football and looked quick on the counter attack, but at times did try to play it out of deffence too often at times and got themselves into trouble when they should have been clearing the lines but that will come with experience. It looked as though they were lacking an organiser at the back as at times they seemed slow to pick up loose men etc. All in all though everyone looked solid and no one looked out of place against blue square south opposition.

Ibbetson (gk)- Very good shot stopper, made some very good saves. Looked comfortable with crosses and punched well when needed. Does need to improve his kicking, too many goal kicks went straight out of play.

Kudi (rb & cm)- Looks composed on the ball & also strong in the tackle. Always wanted to be involved, looks better in cm as got caught in the wrong position at rb a few times. Looks a good prospect and physically strong enough if ever needed for the 1st team squad.
Quinn (lb)- Lyskon & Mackenzie (cb) Hicks (cm)- All had steady games, none were afraid to put a tackle in when w-s-m were going in strong.
Yeoman (cm)- Always wanted the ball and tried to impose himself on the game from the middle of the park, generally looked good and composed on the ball. Did get caught trying to play it short when it wasnt on a few times (like a few others did). Unlucky with the free kick off the bar but missed with the pen. Not sure if he is best cm as I thought he was a striker.
Halpin (rw)- Looked dangerous everytime he got the ball, attacked there defence at every opportunity and looked a step up from most. Took his goal very well and also tested the keeper with a powerfull strike from outside the 18yard. Went off at hal time.
Spear (str)- Took his goal very well and looked a handfull, has very good movement and is always looking to get in behind the defence. Held his own against a strong defence and got stuck in when needed.
Patrick & Francis (str) (lw)- Both solid enough, tried to run the defence when they could and looked comfortable on the ball.
Thompson on for halpin- Looked very quick and tracked back well, grew in confidence as the 2nd half went on and put in a good cross for the goal after beating the full back.

Latimer (lw Str) Looks strong on the ball and was in the rigt place to finish off the 3rd goal. Quite a big lad and held onto the ball well.
A good win and performance overall and very positive for the future of the youth set up this year. Hopefully they can have a good year and I think there are definately a few that will be pressing mr Ling for a contract next year. :scarf: