TUFC v Burnley

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Matt.

I promise you it's not just a case of "whinging because there are disagreements on the board" as you put it, it's due to the language you use when you do it. (not just you by the way!) Forums are what they say they are forums. For discussion and varying opnions. You seem to be so angry all the time. We all have different view points and are entitled to air them without being verbally abused. Have to say to you and others who feel the need to to post things like "c**k and balls" b******t" do you not realise that kids and others read this and then decide that it's not the place to be? or worse!

I really feel that we don't want to desend to the level TFF did when Merse was there and did whatever he could to abuse people opnions and ultimately discourage people form posting, I'm certain thats not what we want.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Well hasn't this thread gone a bit wrong?
Was looking forward to the reports, I thought there would be a few good ones but it's turned into an argument. We can't all agree all the time but there is no need for such aggression in discussion. I often enjoy reading two members deep in debate, each one reasonably explaining their point of view before inevitably agreeing to disagree because neither will shift from their position.
I don't enjoy petty squabbling. I have the kids for that.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Any goal, you could say a keeper could have done better. Yes maybe Rice could have done better but i get the impression inless he saves every shot and keeps a clean sheet then he will get moaned about. Look at David James against us he should have done better with Howes goal. Goals happen and Burnley are a decent championship side and to only let in 3, im sure rice stopped a fair few more. On the other hand if it was Bobby, people would have said yeah he let three goals in maybe he could have done better but would have left it there.

I just feel Rice will never be given a fair chance with some people. If he has a good game noone will comment but if he has a bad game then its all told you so. Its our football club support them.

Burnley are a very talented side and they are better than Bristol city in my eyes. They will be pushing for playoffs ect, and gladly the quality of league 2 sides wont match them so im confident about the season. Just sounded like a hard PSF which we didnt play well all round, if we get smashed by truro 3-0 then i may have something to say but good run around on saturday.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its not about Rice saving every shot, its about the number of howlers he makes per game that cost goals (which was his problem when he was here before).
The consensus seems to be on this board and the other one, that Rice was poor again against burnley (apart from one idiot on here who has tried to force his viewpoint on every one else).
He will never be good enough.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

brucie wrote:Its not about Rice saving every shot, its about the number of howlers he makes per game that cost goals (which was his problem when he was here before).
The consensus seems to be on this board and the other one, that Rice was poor again against burnley (apart from one idiot on here who has tried to force his viewpoint on every one else).
He will never be good enough.
Whether true or not - he does not need to be for the role we are currently going to use him for.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

fair views on both sides but i only hope Bobby does not get a injury will rules him out for 6 months or so...no point in going straight to loan so we need a 2nd choice as good as potter IMHO ...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I happen to share the same view as Matt with regards Rice. The first goal was a quality finish but the blame lies with our two worst performers of the day, namely Mansell and Ellis. They both had a chance to stop the solo run and both failed miserably. The second goal was struck early and went in right by the post, Rice dived late, to me that suggests Rice was unsighted. The third came back off the post and hit his back before going in. I'd say he was a bit nervous, understandably so given the number of moaners on his case from the first whistle. He pulled off a couple of good stops but overall he won't be happy with his performance but Mansell and Ellis were far worse. Quite how anyone would place Ellis ahead of Robertson is beyond me. He still has a lot to learn but with our new assistant I'm sure he will.

As for the bickering, that will always happen on a forum but I would say that people need to realise that Matt posts the way he does to get a reaction, he's a nice guy and I'm sure he didn't intend to insult anyone. Being a Mod shouldn't prevent him or anyone else from freely expressing their opinions but I have asked him to tone down the language because as Dave P quite rightly alludes to, we do have youngsters reading what gets posted. Can we move on now and continue to make this an enjoyable place to contribute.

PS. Brucie, you've openly stated you won't be attending games due to Lings poor quality sgnings, I suggest you change your mind, Howes goal was quality.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote:I happen to share the same view as Matt with regards Rice. The first goal was a quality finish but the blame lies with our two worst performers of the day, namely Mansell and Ellis. They both had a chance to stop the solo run and both failed miserably. The second goal was struck early and went in right by the post, Rice dived late, to me that suggests Rice was undivided. The third came back off the post and hit his back before going in. I'd say he was a bit nervous, understandably so given the number of moaners on his case from the first whistle. He pulled off a couple of good stops but overall he won't be happy with his performance but Mansell and Ellis were far worse. Quite how anyone would place Ellis ahead of Robertson is beyond me. He still has a lot to learn but with our new assistant I'm sure he will.

As for the bickering, that will always happen on a forum but I would say that people need to realise that Matt posts the way he does to get a reaction, he's a nice guy and I'm sure he didn't intend to insult anyone. Being a Mod shouldn't prevent him or anyone else from freely expressing their opinions but I have asked him to to e down the language because as Dave P quite rightly alludes to, we do have youngsters reading what gets posted. Can we move on now and continue to make this an enjoyable place to contribute.

PS. Brucie, you've openly stated you won't be attending games due to Lings poor quality sgnings, I suggest you change your mind, Howes goal was quality.
Regards the first goal, it was Lathrope who let the guy just waltz through unchallenged - not Mansell. Very similar to what he did in the playoff final - only worse! Manse did not have a great game but was not to blame for the first goal (unless there was something I missed prior to the Lathrope incident).

I do worry about are lack of depth in central midfield. After Manse and O'Kane - we have Oastler (would not want to move him from right back), Lathrope (hhhmmmm!) and McPhee (untested in this position in pre-season so hard to tell).

I completely share your view on Ellis Dave. He needs someone in his ear the whole game. Something Branston did very well yet Saah did not do at all on Saturday.
Ellis looked 'lost' and worrying as he is first choice back up.
TUST member 328
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

I wasn’t at the game, but it does sound as if we were found wanting in a few areas, but by all accounts, against good opposition, it was a worthy exercise. Burnley will be at the right end of the table this season, so we should not be too dis-heartened by the result, even if the performance wasn't the best.

When I read the reports afterwards, my heart sank a little bit when I saw “Rice (o.g)”. I just knew there was going to be a barrage of “told you so” comments, from people just waiting (dare I say, hoping) something like that would happen.

I would just ask people to give the guy a break. He has come back to us, wants to do well, and it couldn’t have been an easy decision to come back. The same can be said for McPhee. The OG was one of those freak incidents, but he must’ve just thought “why me”.

Give the guy a break, and give him some support. IF we need him at any point, I’d rather have a happy, confident goalkeeper on the bench.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Regiment wrote:I wasn’t at the game, but it does sound as if we were found wanting in a few areas, but by all accounts, against good opposition, it was a worthy exercise. Burnley will be at the right end of the table this season, so we should not be too dis-heartened by the result, even if the performance wasn't the best.

When I read the reports afterwards, my heart sank a little bit when I saw “Rice (o.g)”. I just knew there was going to be a barrage of “told you so” comments, from people just waiting (dare I say, hoping) something like that would happen.

I would just ask people to give the guy a break. He has come back to us, wants to do well, and it couldn’t have been an easy decision to come back. The same can be said for McPhee. The OG was one of those freak incidents, but he must’ve just thought “why me”.

Give the guy a break, and give him some support. IF we need him at any point, I’d rather have a happy, confident goalkeeper on the bench.
100% agree

Regards the own goal - how can he be at all to blame for that? it is a freak occurrence that can happen to any goalkeeper. Just unlucky it came back at the angle to hit him where he lay.

Lets not destroy the guy, confidence is one of the biggest things in football.
TUST member 328
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Right,

The way I am has absolutely nothing to do with the colour of my username, it's probably just unfortunate that it appears to have coincided with the emergence of the hysterical negative bunch who disappeared (funny old thing) when we were doing well.

I will apologise for the forcefulness with which I made my point about Rice, it was unnecessarily vociferous and, truth be told, it wasn't my intention to be so boisterous, it just, sort of, ended up that way.

I do not reverse my decision to question Mav (or anyone else) who says that Rice is just rank bad and should have prevented any of their goals, he isn't and he shouldn't. However, I do regret causing such a level of consternation on the board. Clearly, it wasn't my intention to genuinely anger people.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Can't say i'm surprised to hear the descriptions Of Ellis's performance. He's a real fans favourite, but i'm afraid his performances just don't deserve the plaudits he recieves. When there was talk of Robbo going to Rovers, there were plenty on here suggesting 'it doesn't matter, Ellis is better anyway', well, he really isn't. He still has the potential to improve, but as i said previously, he still regularly makes the same mistakes he was making 3 years ago. He can't be relied upon. As alluded to above, if he was one of those 'unfancied' players, such as a Rice or a Mcphee, certain posters would be all over him. He's lucky to be so popular because it allows him a lot of leeway in terms of performance level. I even suggested at one point i would prefer to see Oastler at CB than him, and was questoned on it. Ellis is just lucky Oastler has made the right back slot his own.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Plain fact is Fonda Ellis is in a different class to either Mcphee or Rice. My view is that Ellis is better than all in wrestler Robertson.
What I cannot understand about the Rice situation is the mentality that it doesn't matter if he is not up to standard because he won't be playing.
i don't understand why he should be "nervous" in a pre season friendly - that doesn't bode well if he gets called upon to come on against Bristol Rovers.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I wasn’t comparing him in quality to Rice and Mcphee. I was merely pointing out how differently ‘popular’ players get treated when things go wrong. They are awarded much greater leniency. And Ellis benefits more than most, as he’s very popular but regularly makes mistakes. Robbo has limitations, hence him being a League 2 defender, but at this stage he’s far more reliable than Ellis.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Right... and Eunan is different class to Ellis, what's your point?

In the nicest possible way, it is largely irrelevant that one player is better than another, it doesn't make the lesser players utterly hopeless. It doesn't help that you're trying to compare a defender with a striker and a 'keeper.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"