TUFC v Burnley

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

ferrarilover wrote: What total rubbish. For the first goal, Rice was beaten by an unattended, Championship/Premier League class striker, 18 yards out, front and centre, the type of situation which bests the likes of Petr Cech every week.

The second shot was struck nicely enough, and it may have been nice to have seen him get finger tips to it and turn it past the post, but then, if it takes a shot of that accuracy and power to beat him, them I'll be happy, because there are precious few of those seen in L2 every season.

Just because you've a bee in your bonnet about him being back because he wasn't particularly good last time he was here, a million years ago, don't tell flagrant lies to support your baseless argument that he is still not very good today.

Matt.
Pardon me, but you can P*** right off with your drivel above. I do not post up "flagrant lies", my argument is not baseless and please feel free to show me where I have posted up having an issue with Rice when he was with us last time? I didn't ever think he was a great keeper, but I never gave him abuse when he was here first time around. What I posted was my opinion, The first goal I think he should have saved it was hit directly at him, however I would need to see a video of that again to be 100% convinced, however the second goal was awful, his reactions to diving where slow, the shot was not hit that hard, and he had plenty of time to position and dive. I notice how you also fail to mention a later post where I post up that he made a good stop against the Burnley player, but I guess that would make your argument look stupid.

The first half of the game I don't think we played very well in particular in Midfield, Mansell and Lathrope both are too similair and sit deep and don't give us the cutting edge going forward that Eunan offers. That said, they carved us open through the middle of the park several times. I don't think mcPhee did a huge amount during the game, I am not convinced that wide right is his best position. Morris started slowly, but started to develop a better understand as time went on with Nicholson on the left. I think mark Ellis looked pretty shakey today, and I feel that we looked much more solid at the back with Saah, Robertson with Oastler at right back. Oh on a side note, we never played with "wingbacks" either, was always 4-4-2.

For Matt, just so you don't get the wrong idea, I am not anti Rice, Ellis, Lathrope, mansell or anybody else I may have posted a slightly negative comment about. It's just my opinion, that perhaps they where not at their best today!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Father Jack wrote:Just for those that missed the game, we started the game off with a plan B of playing with wingbacks. Ellis, Saah and Robertson the 3 central defenders with Nico and McPhee as wingbacks. Plainly didnt work as it was changed during the 2nd half to a straight 4-4-2 with Saah/Robertson in the middle and Joe Oastler/LRt as the full backs. Looked a lot better balance once it was changed.
Although I did not notice that at the time - you might be right there. I kept saying McPhee was too deep and Morris tucked in too much and Robertson kept getting sucked in so the shape might have been the reason. How thick am I not to put 2 and 2 together at the time!!!

Regardless - for me the experiment was an epic fail so rule that out for now!

Did anyone else notice how shaky Ellis looked? Saah (as club captain) needs to be more vocal when alongside him - I did not hear him say anything all day.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Thought I would do a quick evaluation as I saw it from yesterday (for what it is worth)!

Apart from Howe (very useful at this level on that performance) and O'Kane, (different class to anything we have when he appeared) I thought we were a little lacking but I missed both Bristol and Exeter City games so obviously picked the worst one to attend.
Ellis looked shaky, Saah did well but too quiet - needs to help Ellis more, Nico off the pace, You could see there was more to come from Morris, McPhee was average but not poor, Lathrope - don't even get me started on him - I would later that boy if we ever had the chance!, Manse was Manse, Taiwo did not set the world alight but early days, Someone needs to stop sticking super glue to the goal line when Rice plays because he seems incapable of coming of it!, Kee looked decent till he got taken out, LRT had a good 20 mins and has a lot more to his game than I thought, Robertson went unoticed which is sometimes a very good thing for a defender, Macklin had some decent moments but some poor ones also (same for Halpin), Danny was poor and did nothing, Oastler looks every bit a right back at happy for him to be starting there for us. Yeoman ans Spear were full on running but too early for them yet - hope we get them out on loan like we have Palmer.

Overall - some encouragement but also some negatives but like I said - I missed the 2 City games so can only go on what I saw yesterday.

Regards the Lathrope comment - I expect to be challenged on what I have said but I stand by it. For me he looks completely out of his depth and this showed both in the playoff final and yesterday. I know he did well against Shrewsbury in both legs but the flaws in his game will always remain and will always be exposed. He is a defensive midfield player - you cannot just run alongside a player and allow him have a free shot on goal.
TUST member 328
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Mav - I wouldn't bother trying to defend yourself to an idiot. I wasn't at the game but i will respect your view that Rice let a couple in though because thats what he did when he was here before with regularity. I will also accept your view that Mcphee wasn't very good, because I have a pair of eyes and Mcphee is, well useless to put in bluntly.

Richinns - Lathrope hasn''t done anything when I have seen him play. He was indeed a liability in the play off final. he was no doubt signed by Uncle Bucks for precisely that reason. It won't be long before he is farmed out to Weston Super Mare or someone.

I happen to think that Rice is a clown - impressively he managed an own goal yesterday when the ball hit him on the back and went in. Ling must be having nightmares. God help us if we have to use him in a league match and by the law of sod I am sure our first choice will end up getting crocked against Crawley or Rovers and will witness Rice throwing the ball into the net.

Chickens coming home to roost springs to mind.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

brucie wrote:Mav - I wouldn't bother trying to defend yourself to an idiot. I wasn't at the game but i will respect your view that Rice let a couple in though because thats what he did when he was here before with regularity. I will also accept your view that Mcphee wasn't very good, because I have a pair of eyes and Mcphee is, well useless to put in bluntly.

Richinns - Lathrope hasn''t done anything when I have seen him play. He was indeed a liability in the play off final. he was no doubt signed by Uncle Bucks for precisely that reason. It won't be long before he is farmed out to Weston Super Mare or someone.

I happen to think that Rice is a clown - impressively he managed an own goal yesterday when the ball hit him on the back and went in. Ling must be having nightmares. God help us if we have to use him in a league match and by the law of sod I am sure our first choice will end up getting crocked against Crawley or Rovers and will witness Rice throwing the ball into the net.

Don't normally getinvolved in this kind of debate. Rice is limited granted, however McPhee has something to offer the squad. To suggest a Buckle devised conspiracy which culminated in Lathrope throwing the Play Off final is utter nonsense and shows serious delusion and finishing with the prophetic 'Chickens coming home to roost', well...
TUST number 080
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Mav, total and complete cock and balls. Your original post clearly states that Rice should have stopped both shots, I'm telling you that that is total nonsense. There was precisely nothing that he could do about the first goal, we could have had two keepers in and the striker would have been favourite to score.

The second shot was right in the corner and, clearly, MR did not have clear sight of the shot, the area was pretty well crowded.

If you're telling me that you aren't holding anything against Martin from his last stint here, then you must be basing your deeply negative viewpoint on the 90 minutes he has played for us against opposition from two divisions above.

Brucie, you can sod right off. You think every player on earth is rubbish, more so when they're linked with Torquay and your opinion on yesterday's performance is entirely invalidated the moment you admit to not having bothered to attend, as usual.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

brucie wrote:Mav - I wouldn't bother trying to defend yourself to an idiot. I wasn't at the game but i will respect your view that Rice let a couple in though because thats what he did when he was here before with regularity. I will also accept your view that Mcphee wasn't very good, because I have a pair of eyes and Mcphee is, well useless to put in bluntly.

I couldn't make it to yesterday's game, I am 200 miles away and that is too far for a friendly. Therefore, I wouldn't presume to comment on how well or badly any individual player performed yesterday, because I wasn't there and it wasn't on the telly. Brucie must be blessed with special powers of insight and brilliance in order to comment so thoroughly on the performance of Rice, cos he didn't go to the game either.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

I don't worry about Rice. He won't play unless we get an injury or Bobby is sent off during a game. After that we will get someone in on loan. He did not look like a League standard keeper after yesterday's performance but he looked capable enough to come in to cover for a one off game due to the above reason. That is why he is here - use the limited budget in areas where it is needed more.
TUST member 328
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

ferrarilover wrote:Mav, total and complete c**k and balls. Your original post clearly states that Rice should have stopped both shots, I'm telling you that that is total nonsense. There was precisely nothing that he could do about the first goal, we could have had two keepers in and the striker would have been favourite to score.

The second shot was right in the corner and, clearly, MR did not have clear sight of the shot, the area was pretty well crowded.

If you're telling me that you aren't holding anything against Martin from his last stint here, then you must be basing your deeply negative viewpoint on the 90 minutes he has played for us against opposition from two divisions above.

Brucie, you can sod right off. You think every player on earth is rubbish, more so when they're linked with Torquay and your opinion on yesterday's performance is entirely invalidated the moment you admit to not having bothered to attend, as usual.

Matt.
You show me where I have posted negative comments about Rice returning. I have read negative comments from you about him coming back. I was sat directly behind Rice and I am telling you the second goal he had clean line of site and a lot of time and that shot should have been saved. I posted up those comments live from the match to try and give those reading the forums an insight as to what was going on. If posting that kind of stuff up gets the kind of b******t response from somebody who is supposed to be a moderator on here i won't bother. So don't bother posting up anymore of your crap as I ain't gonna bother reading it. Your just a jumped up arse on a power trip who seems to be constantly looking for an argument
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Rice and most of the player’s performances yesterday wasn't as good as the previous PSF but that is partly the reason of the opposition. Burnley have a great manager with some top class players that gave us no time on the ball and move the ball around the pitch in such a slick way that it is a pleasure to watch. MR's performance wasn't great I'd admit but 1) He's not going to be playing week in week out as he is a 2nd choice keeper and 2) Even if he was we aren't going to be playing teams like Burnley every week. I knew if we lost yesterday the moaners would be out posting constantly about how crap the team is and everything’s a shambles. Look how good we played against a League 1 team and a Championship team (Bristol and City) we were all over them and played fantastic football now if we can play like that against League 1 sides we can no doubt play well, maybe even better against League 2 sides.
Last edited by Colorado Gull on 24 Jul 2011, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Amazes me why threads that I look forward to reading,esp about matches seem to degenerate in to abuse and a slanging match so quickly on this forum these days. TFF had an issue like this and I'm sure thats why it's now not as popular as this one.

Surely we (esp those who have been entrusted with moderating such things) should be able to accept one anothers view points without resorting abuse?

Or am I just getting old? (49 before you ask!)
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Agree with DP. We do not need to descend to the level of the TFF.

Nice match report from danny. Just need to get some punctuation going there so that we can draw breath between incidents.

Not sure why ferrarilover draws distinctions between 2 championship sides. Bristol City and Burnley are level pegging in the Championship as we speak.

My own view is that pre season friendlies are precisely that. It is what we do between 06/08/2011 and May 2012 that matters.

The signs are encouraging though but.....and in any case it is nice to have a proper manager again.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Mav wrote: You show me where I have posted negative comments about Rice returning. I have read negative comments from you about him coming back. I was sat directly behind Rice and I am telling you the second goal he had clean line of site and a lot of time and that shot should have been saved. I posted up those comments live from the match to try and give those reading the forums an insight as to what was going on. If posting that kind of stuff up gets the kind of b******t response from somebody who is supposed to be a moderator on here i won't bother. So don't bother posting up anymore of your crap as I ain't gonna bother reading it. Your just a jumped up arse on a power trip who seems to be constantly looking for an argument
Oh no, someone disagrees with me, what on earth should I do? Oooh, I know what'll work, I'll throw my toys out of the pram and storm off in a huff.

You want me to find your negative comments, I shall, they're right in your first post in this thread where you suggest that Ricey should have prevented both the first two goals. It is my suggestion that this is anti-Rice nonsense.
I'm glad you had such a good view of everything from right behind the goal, perhaps the same view that Manchester United supporters get from their armchairs every week?

Shots which are hit low, hard and right in the corner are a nightmare for goalkeepers, which is why so many lead to goals, because making saves from shots of that nature takes a truly exceptional effort from the very best keepers.

As for those whinging because there are disagreements on the board, I'm afraid, that is the nature of football. Mav says one thing, I say another. I have chosen to present an argument, Mav has decided to call me an arse, some people just aren't cut out for enthusiastic discussion.

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I'm going to cry myself to sleep.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

yellow wrote:Agree with DP. We do not need to descend to the level of the TFF.

Nice match report from danny. Just need to get some punctuation going there so that we can draw breath between incidents.

Not sure why ferrarilover draws distinctions between 2 championship sides. Bristol City and Burnley are level pegging in the Championship as we speak.

My own view is that pre season friendlies are precisely that. It is what we do between 06/08/2011 and May 2012 that matters.

The signs are encouraging though but.....and in any case it is nice to have a proper manager again.

Ok will do Yellow!

Cheers for reading and for the advice!

In future times (When the league starts) I'll take more care of how I structure my report :-D
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Wow, I wasn't really expecting this to happen.

I wasn't at the game so I cannot comment about the performance of players etc, etc.

What I will comment on, is this pathetic argument which I really do hope Mav will not reply to as it will hopefully end it. We get the fact you both have different opinions, that's the entire point of a forum. What is completely pointless is this stupid slanging match started off with Matt forcefully trying to ram his opinion down the throat of Mav, rather than calmly contradicting his point of view and explaining his opinion. Something which seems to have happened quite a few times since his name went green.

Matt - it's wonderful that you've been made a mod and at the time, I thought it was fully deserved and I used to very much enjoy your sarcastic posts as it was very much my style of humour too, but whether a power trip or not, you've gone from being a good, opinionated member who will happily make his point known, to one who will try and instill his opinion in everyone else. You also seem to get very personal and insist on insulting anyone who doesn't agree with you.

I'm sure the admins will be keeping an eye on you, as you're getting a bit out of hand now.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"