PSF: Torquay United v Exeter City 20/07/11

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

Edit: Sorry I meant to post this in the 'Buckle Abuse' Post. Apologies.

I've got good friends that are Torquay fans and they haven't been slow to point out Buckles mistakes in the past and the fact he wasn't particularly well liked as a person. But going on the start he has made this pre-season there is not one Rovers fan at this moment that isn't anything but totally impressed with him. Friendlies don't mean much at all but we've played 6 winning 5 and drawing one. The opposition hasn't been great but we've played Burnley, Inverness (Scottish Prem) and Bath City who have a decent team.

Only time will tell but he's certainly going to be a vast improvement on anything we've had in recent history. We're also playing the best football since the Holloway days.

I'm very interested to see how you get on against Burnley Saturday as they were awful when we played them. Are you a little concerned that you haven't played many friendlies yet? My mate told me you've only played 3 friendlies so far and only have 6 in total which doesn't seem many at all, especially considering that's 45 mins for most players. The season could start with some players having only played about 200-280 minutes. Having played semi-professional myself this seems quite low.

Can't wait for the season now and the 13th especially. Nearer the time I'll come back on here to see where you all plan drinking for the gas game. Could meet up with a couple of you for a pint.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

blueboy wrote:I've got good friends that are Torquay fans and they haven't been slow to point out Buckles mistakes in the past and the fact he wasn't particularly well liked as a person. But going on the start he has made this pre-season there is not one Rovers fan at this moment that isn't anything but totally impressed with him. Friendlies don't mean much at all but we've played 6 winning 5 and drawing one. The opposition hasn't been great but we've played Burnley, Inverness (Scottish Prem) and Bath City who have a decent team.

Only time will tell but he's certainly going to be a vast improvement on anything we've had in recent history. We're also playing the best football since the Holloway days.

I'm very interested to see how you get on against Burnley Saturday as they were awful when we played them. Are you a little concerned that you haven't played many friendlies yet? My mate told me you've only played 3 friendlies so far and only have 6 in total which doesn't seem many at all, especially considering that's 45 mins for most players. The season could start with some players having only played about 200-280 minutes. Having played semi-professional myself this seems quite low.

Can't wait for the season now and the 13th especially. Nearer the time I'll come back on here to see where you all plan drinking for the gas game. Could meet up with a couple of you for a pint.
Remember we had a longer season last year, they need to be given a sustained rest period to avoid burnout - hence the later start than most. We will be 100% ready come the season start - I have no worries about that.

As for Buckle - I am tired of hearing and talking about the pros and cons of the man. Plainmoor has become a much happier place without him and there appears to be a positive vibe running through the club at the moment.

I feel a lot more positive now about our visit to the Mem than I did a month ago.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

Richinns wrote: Remember we had a longer season last year, they need to be given a sustained rest period to avoid burnout - hence the later start than most. We will be 100% ready come the season start - I have no worries about that.

As for Buckle - I am tired of hearing and talking about the pros and cons of the man. Plainmoor has become a much happier place without him and there appears to be a positive vibe running through the club at the moment.

I feel a lot more positive now about our visit to the Mem than I did a month ago.
Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to post in this thread, I meant to put it in the Buckle one.

Fair play to Ling he's certainly appears to have turned things around for you looking from the outside. He's also made some decent signings on paper.

The longer season you've had is a fair point, and probably the reason you're playing so few friendlies.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on tomorrow vs Burnley.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

rumurchap wrote:wheres martin rice and rowe turner ? not listed in squad at all on twitter
Not sure about Rowe Turner not being listed although I would swear he was playing at some stage last night., But Martin Rice was sat in the Family stand with his family and told me that there was a small problem with the paperwork and he couldn't play.
One of the Directors also said that in the last few weeks the whole club has become happier and everone is much more relaxed. I like that although with a warning. Hope it doesn't become so relaxed that they start to get careless
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

blueboy wrote:Edit: Sorry I meant to post this in the 'Buckle Abuse' Post. Apologies.

I've got good friends that are Torquay fans and they haven't been slow to point out Buckles mistakes in the past and the fact he wasn't particularly well liked as a person. But going on the start he has made this pre-season there is not one Rovers fan at this moment that isn't anything but totally impressed with him. Friendlies don't mean much at all but we've played 6 winning 5 and drawing one. The opposition hasn't been great but we've played Burnley, Inverness (Scottish Prem) and Bath City who have a decent team.

Well, Martin Ling, who played in what is now the Premier League, seems to feel this is enough. You'll forgive me if I trust his judgement more than yours. :na:

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"