PSF: Torquay United v Exeter City 20/07/11

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

royally put to the sword by the sound of it, roll on august 6th!!

sounds as if mr ling is putting together a very good unit, we were pleased with the defence when saah signed but not the attacking side of things appears to be clicking nicely into place

maybe we''ll surprise a few people, especially that cock at the mem a week later!
still keeping the faith
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

taunton_gull wrote:****'s attendance does seem a strange one, I would be surprised if he's on a scouting mission as I thought business had been completed at Rovers and our end, unless he's looking at a City player. Perhaps he's just checking us out ahead of the game at the Mem although knowing him he's just come along to get his ego massaged. Great text came in to say how Macklin and Stevens both looked like different players, perhaps benefiting from better man management!
Just popped back to get his worry beads & a change of smalls! :lol: :clap: :clap: :na: :na: :na:
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Apparently, i've talked a lot of nonsense in the last couple of weeks (*hears a chorus of "just the last couple of weeks?"*). I initially thought we'd struggle this season. After the City game i changed that to a probable lower mid-table finish. Well after tonight i think top-half is realistic. Yes, i'm fickle. I still think there are too many strong looking teams in this division to think we're likely to threaten the promotion places, but we do look mightily impressive right now.

Make no mistake, we should have won by 5 or 6 tonight. And although you can only tell so much from pre-season friendlies, there's no reason to think we simply 'wanted it' more than them this evening. The amount of City fans that turned up is in indication they were keen to see a winning performance. But we simply blew them away. The quality and speed of the pass and move was Leroy-esque. It was a joy to behold.

In terms of individual performances, Robbo was imperious in the middle of the defence, Oastler gave an action-packed display at right-back (though his distribution at times was suspect), Eunan pulled the strings and gave a display of passing that would have Aggy purring, and we've apparently signed a right-winger called Macklin? who's lightening fast and has great delivery! It's fair to say i might have underestimated him a little (and i'm very happy to say that). He really could be the asset others have predicted. If he can find some consistency, he's going to prove a real handful for opposition left-backs this season. Everyone else did their bit too, including three very nice finishes. I might do a more detailed round-up tomorrow, but i just wanted to get my immediate delighted reaction on here.

To summarise, it is so refreshing to see a group of players expressing themselves and enjoying their football. You get the impression Martin Ling wants his players to do what comes naturally to them. There is an evident freedom that comes with players being in positions they are 100% comfortable with. It's important not to get too carried away at this stage (though as proved in this post, it's proving increasingly difficult), but the early indications of this set-up are very positive. I'm not usually this easily swayed - but that's what comes of making hasty predictions before seeing the team play i guess...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Fonda wrote:Apparently, i've talked a lot of nonsense in the last couple of weeks (*hears a chorus of "just the last couple of weeks?"*). I initially thought we'd struggle this season. After the City game i changed that to a probable lower mid-table finish. Well after tonight i think top-half is realistic. Yes, i'm fickle. I still think there are too many strong looking teams in this division to think we're likely to threaten the promotion places, but we do look mightily impressive right now.

Make no mistake, we should have won by 5 or 6 tonight. And although you can only tell so much from pre-season friendlies, there's no reason to think we simply 'wanted it' more than them this evening. The amount of City fans that turned up is in indication they were keen to see a winning performance. But we simply blew them away. The quality and speed of the pass and move was Leroy-esque. It was a joy to behold.

In terms of individual performances, Robbo was imperious in the middle of the defence, Oastler gave an action-packed display at right-back (though his distribution at times was suspect), Eunan pulled the strings and gave a display of passing that would have Aggy purring, and we've apparently signed a right-winger called Macklin? who's lightening fast and has great delivery! It's fair to say i might have underestimated him a little (and i'm very happy to say that). He really could be the asset others have predicted. If he can find some consistency, he's going to prove a real handful for opposition left-backs this season. Everyone else did their bit too, including three very nice finishes. I might do a more detailed round-up tomorrow, but i just wanted to get my immediate delighted reaction on here.

To summarise, it is so refreshing to see a group of players expressing themselves and enjoying their football. You get the impression Martin Ling wants his players to do what comes naturally to them. There is an evident freedom that comes with players being in positions they are 100% comfortable with. It's important not to get too carried away at this stage (though as proved in this post, it's proving increasingly difficult), but the early indications of this set-up are very positive. I'm not usually this easily swayed - but that's what comes of making hasty predictions before seeing the team play i guess...
Why thankyou!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Richinns wrote: Why thankyou!
Seriously Rich, that could have been an inspired pick by you. He obviously still needs to demonstrate some consistency but he definitely does have more strings to his bow than mere pace (as suggested by someone...i forget who :Oops: )
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Thought that "the kids" looked very comfortable when they came on in the second half. Ray Spear put over a great cross for Morris to score his first for the club. I was looking forward to seeing Saul Halpin get a good run out, but he was not even changed. Hope he's not injured, I wonder if he is up training with Derby County again?
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Just got back and once again ALL the Torquay Fans have come home very happy away from a PSF. And to make it a little sweeter we thrashed our big Devon Rivals 3-0. Once again it was a very enjoyable PSF and it seems that Martin Ling has brought a good healthy team together. The first half was better than the 2nd but, again like the Bristol City game, the 2nd wasn't that bad either. Playing a team for 70 minutes was a good idea in my eyes so the ones with tired legs could go off and then the subs could have a game and a good one at that. Torquay and City lined up as follows:

For Torquay - 4-4-2
Bobby Olejnik

Joe Oastler
Chris Robertson
Brian Saah
Lathanial Rowe-Turner

Lloyd Macklin
Lee Mansell
Eunan O'Kane
Danny Stevens

Billy Kee
Rene Howe

Subs: Mark Ellis (64 mins on for Robbo) Ed Palmer (71 mins for Brian Saah) Kevin Nicolson (64 mins for Lathanial Rowe-Turner) Ashley Yeoman (71 mins on for Lloyd Macklin) Damon Lathrope (64 mins for Lee Mansell) Ian Morris (64 mins for Danny Stevens) Ray Spear (71 mins for Billy Kee) Chris Mcphee (HT for Rene Howe)

For Exeter - 5-3-2
Artur Krysiak

Steve Tully
Troy Archibald Henville
Richard Duffy
Billy Jones
Scott Golbourne

James Dunn
Liam Sercombe
David Noble

Daniel Nardiello
Richard Logan

Subs: Lenny Pidgeley (67 mins for Krysiak) Aaron Dawson (74 mins for Steve Tully) Ollie Knowles (74 mins for Troy Archibald Henville) Ellilot Fear (67 mins for Richard Duffy) Chris Shepherd (61 mins for Billy Jones) Jack Furzer (67 mins for Scott Golbourne) Scott Bennett (61 mins for James Dunn) Jake Gosling (76 mins for Liam Sercombe) Callum NacNish (61 mins for David Noble) Tom Nichols (61 mins for Daniel Nardiello) Jacob Cane (74 mins for Richard Logan) Jordan Moore-Taylor was not used.

GK: Olejnik was solid all game. Did well and controlled his goal area well. His kicking wasn't superb but all in all he played well. Great few saves as well to keep a clean sheet.

RB: Joe Oastler was brilliant all in all. I admit he had a few hit and hope passes but he was solid and done well going up field and nothing went passed him. Also to add he did not panic when he was under pressure at the back. Well Played!

CB: Chris Robertson was comfortable and pretty solid. A few dodgy moments but he kept control of his position and passed the ball well at the back with confidence. Brian Saah was brilliant as well. Solid! Passed well, let no-one push him off the ball and played a few good balls in the air. Mark Ellis he's a bit wild at times but then again he didn't do anything utterly stupid. A good header clearance as well and was strong at times as well. Ed Palmer played much better than he did Bristol and stood up to the challenge tonight. Even he was confident enough to go round the Grecian forwards. Very pleasing to watch him play well.

LB: LRT wasn't great! A few sloppy passes and throw in's but thankfully he did have sparks of good play. Nico didn't really see enough of him tonight to judge him massively but he did hold his position well once again and had a great ball into the box towards the end of the game. A great player and he is always much needed.

RM: Lloyd Macklin did a few great things but also did a few mistakes but we are human so you can't really go on at him that much. A good sign to watch him play well, he played much better than he did last Saturday so that's a good sign. Ashley Yeoman did pretty well seems as though he hasn't had much first team action. Got into correct positions and played well on the wing.

CM: Eunan O'Kane played well but not to his full potential yet but he will definitely get there when he gets more playing time. For definite he is a CM now, he is going to be very good this year. Tonight he worked well with the Defence and then done well when coming forward. Lee Mansell I thought one of the best players on the field. Plays much better in the middle of the park. He was solid and passed well towards the wings. Well Played Manse! Damon Lathrope couldn't really see much again as he didn't play for a long time. But as like Nico he done nothing wrong and did some good stuff when he was on the field. I think he could be a good player this year if he keeps going!

LM: Danny Stevens very pleased once again tonight! I thought he played really well. Controlled the ball brilliantly from the balls from Oastler and ran at the Grecian defenders well and cut inside well as well. When he uses his pace he is brilliant. I hope he keeps going! Ian Morris nice to see him play and when he got the ball down he was very neat and played very good football. Again some mistakes but it was his first game and when he gets some more games in he will be very good! Also to get a goal was fantastic!

ST: Billy Kee pleasantly surprised! Played very well much better than Saturday’s game! Controlled the ball very well and knocked it out the wing brilliantly. Then to get a goal was fantastic as well. He still played well in the 2nd half too. Very happy with the performance of Kee tonight! Howe played great! Did the exact same thing as Kee and to get a goal as well really showed he is a dangerous player and he is going to be a threat this year! Chris Mcphee played well again! Brilliant. I think he is better on the wing but showed tonight he can play in different positions and still play well! Passed well and linked up with the players around him and then got into a better position!

Officials: not that it matters but a few dodgy decisions but it's a friendly so it doesn't matter too much. Gave city a few fouls which were dives but then again he did book a Grecian so all in all the ref and the linos weren't too bad!

Buckle? What was he doing here? He's not welcome here anymore and getting no more of our players!

So after all that it looks all good at the moment at TUFC. Martin Ling seems to have a good team put together now and if he can get them playing week in week out a top half finish isn't an achievement that is out if our reach. The first half we dominated! Played really well and the 2 goals showed that, even though it should of been about 4 or 5! In the 2nd half I thought City was much quicker and slicker on the ball but our defence was good enough to not concede a goal. With the 3rd goal in the 2nd half then it was game over. So very pleasing that we played well, even though it was a friendly is was brilliant to beat the city! Great Banter with the City fans well done to the Yellow Army we definitely reminded them that there is only one team in Devon and that’s the Yellow side of the county! YELLOW ARMY!

(Edit - Sadly I cannot make the Burnley game so I will not be able to make a Match Report)
Last edited by Colorado Gull on 21 Jul 2011, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

must say i was impressed tonite, but how poor were exeter? they were useless!

i was most pleased i think by our attacking strengh thruout the game howe and kee very dangerous and later on mcphee put himself about very well

i also fort the young - uns played well too so great all round really! friendlys can be deceiving tho
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

miltonkeynesgull wrote:Evening all. Just tuned in and the sound quality is probably worse than that of Marconi's first ever radio transmissions in 1895.

Sounds like a decent performance so far though, but why on earth is Mr Buckle in attendance?

as far as i'm concerned, Buckle is as welcome as a dose of the sh*ts. Arrogant little prick. So nice to show him we're not missing him at all, and will be even better when we go to rovers in a few weeks and turn 'em over. Paul who ?

Martin Ling's Yellow Army !! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Not long back after the game.

This was the first time I had seen the current squad turn out and was very, very pleasantly surprised. Excellent performance based around playing the ball on the ground. The movement and passing was so good we repeatedly tore the City defence to shreds - it should have been 4-0 at HT and 6-0 overall such was our dominance in the important areas of the pitch.

Howe was fantastic - he is the target man we have been missing since Tim Sills and he was ably supported by a rejuvenated Billy Kee.

Macklin was my player of the first half - for two excellent goal assists and another attempt on goal himself. Stevens was also very lively.

Mansell and O'Kane switched play at will with accurate passing which gave our wingers plenty of chances to attack. In contrast Exeter kept running sideways and playing short passes which a compact and alert United defence snuffed out repeatedly.

In the second half McPhee looked capable up front and the youngsters all played well but Ray Spear's pull back across goal for Morris' goal was class.

There were no passengers in this display - everyone played well and seemed to enjoy the experience. This looks like a very capable squad now so well done Mr Ling and Mr Buckle please keep well away in future - there are no easy pickings left so just go and **** off!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

royalgull wrote:TorThree United.

Seriously think City are going down this year. Only bloke that scores any goals has gone, two abysmal keepers, and their best player has gone back to Swansea.
Aye, they're in trouble.

Well done to us though! :lol:
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

I paid closer attention than normal last night to those trying to make a starting slot their own (Macklin, LRT & Danny) as the other places probably pick themselves. Couldnt be bothered to type the whole thing again but highlighted...

"Thought LRT had a good game and looked quite comfortable, solid in defence with just one mishit clearance (which he then chased down) and offered more pace going forward than Nico.
Centre mid looks like it should be Eunan and Mansell with Macklin on the right wing. What a game he had, ripping pace and pinpoint crosses for 2 of the goals yet was always there tracking back to close down the left winger. Danny was fairly average again im afraid. He saw more of the ball but had little end product. The pace I remember from the BSP seems missing against the higher quality players he's up against in L2. Shame, but thats life"

Macklin was certainly MOM for the time he was on the pitch.
Last edited by Father Jack on 21 Jul 2011, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Arse! Drink!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Its mostly been said,so not much to add,other than that performance completely backed up saturdays performance against Bristol city.

I am not worried going into next season at all now,as i was,and to me so far the biggest plus point is the defence looking stronger than last season,and RENE if he can do that unfit ,what is he going to be like when he has dropped a few pound's and get's fit.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

It's pretty clear O'Kane is better than anything Exeter have got, and similarly Olejnik is far superior to their two keepers. Talking of Eunan and Bobby, it was so refreshing to see them both looking for a quick roll-out rather than Bevan's terrible booming kicks.

Macklin, as has been universally said, put in an excellent performance in the first 45. He must be in pole position to start the Burton game, although the tireless McPhee may be favoured for away games. Sadly, and I'm one of those not displeased to see him stay, Stevens doesn't seem to be grabbing the chance of impressing the new manager like Lloyd is. The very impressive Oastler at RB looks a formality for the starting XI. One of the only questions is whether Nicho or LRT will start on the left.

Returning to the Exeter comparisons, I wouldn't even consider swapping Kee or Howe for Logan (useless) or Nardiello (terrible attitude and little threat, as per his performance against us for Blackpool). The calm Saah and Robbo (imperious in the 1st half) were excellent together. And just to complete my inadvertent mention of nearly every player, Morris' goal aside, he looked very tidy on the ball, and put in some of the best crosses I've seen at Plainmoor since Wayno left. Manse was great, too!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Impressed by last nights performance and quietly confident that we will do well again this season on the evidence of last night.
Main worry would be our finishing-we missed some real "sitters",but hopefully this will improve as the players get sharper.
Buckle?-he was with his son last night so may have merely been a family visit combined with an informal scouting session.
He was also seen down at the Grand Hotel last week though-in conversation with Geoff Harrop.
Milton was there last night as well,mixing with Directors and staff.