PSF: Torquay United v Exeter City 20/07/11

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

PSF: Torquay United v Exeter City 20/07/11

Post by tufcbrett »

Kick off: 1945
Date: Wedensday, July 20th 2011.

After seeing nobody has done the game thread, I thought I would give it a good go.
Exeter over the last few years have become the highest rank Devon side since Argyles downfall and our brief spell out the football league. Previous games against the Grecians have produced lots of goals. With 4-3 and 4-1 defeats and 2-1 and 1-0 wins in our first season in the Blue Square Premier.
The rivalry between the two clubs has increased since players such as Lee Phillips, Chris Todd and Wayne Carlisle had moved down the road following Paul Buckle.

Recent Meetings.

I thought it might be nice to have a quick run down of a couple of the recent matches against this lot, since they were quite funny and it gives us an excuse to go to the Tube of You for a laugh.

Firstly up is the Boxing Day revenge match 01/01/2008, which we won 1-0 with a fabulous header from that man Sills. For those who can't picture this goal in their mind's eye, go here >>> " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok, it's the WORST video on Youtube, but you get the idea.

Secondly, there was the comedy goalkeeping moment of the year 2008, from our 2-1 win at their place >>> " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GULLS NEWS.
New Singing Ian Morris is set to make his debut after signing on a two year deal after leaving Scunthorpe. Taiwo Atieno is also set to take part in the game after receiving an offer from the club on Monday to turn his trial to a 1 year deal.

THE OPPOSITION.

Exeter finished 8th in League 1 last season only 1 point outside the playoffs. They have added new players to their squad from last season. Artur Krysiak has joined from Burton, Lenny Pidgeley has joined from Bradford City. Danny Coles has joined from Bristol Rovers and Guillem Bauza from Swansea .
There most notable departures from the club are Ryan Harley who went back to Swansea after a brief spell back at Exeter after signing for the Swans in January. Jamie Cureton has left to Leyton Orient. Paul Jones has left to join Peterborough United.

WHO TO WATCH.

Daniel Nardiello scored 10 goals in 15 starts (15 sub appearances) last season. Richard Logan a powerful striker who was previously on loan to us. Archibald- Henville a powerful centre back which played a massive part last season.
---------

Sorry, i didn’t see anyone that did one and the game is later today. I thought i would write one out. Please edit/change/add to it. The best i could do and i will leave it for others to do next time.

I am going to predict a 2-2 draw with Rene Howe and Ellis with the goals.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I predict a draw too but in my heart I do hope we stuff em up good. 3-0 would do for starters just to let them know they may be a league higher but we are aiming high too.
One interesting point about the pre season friendlies is our fitness agains't the teams we have played or are about to play. So far Tivvy have been the only team to fight it out with us. I think being our first game and many players needing a match to really get going. It was also a humid evening and many of the players didn't like that for the first game. I know the arguments about them being proffessionals but it's not the best start.
City was meant to be a sterner test and with much better weather for a match we showed what we are capable of. I hope we can carry this on to the rest of the week. Expect Exeter to be a sterner test as they being like us a small team will probably have trained harder.
From what i hear of Bristol Rovers friendly this evening (Tuesday) The Burnley team didn't look too fit and we may well find our fitter players having a real go at that lot from oop North. I hope we can win this one too.
I know also the arguments about this being the time for finding fitness and the best team but winning is habit forming and if you can get a good start in pre season then all well and good. It will boost the moral in the team at the right time. Come on you Gulls let's be avin you. Onward and Upward :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
manchestergulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by manchestergulls »

anybody know if the games is on any radio, i know it is only a psf but i was thinking maybe this being a big one might be on radio?
http://www.facebook/manchestergulls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
follow me on twitter @manchestergull
take me home to place where i belong, down at plainmoor to see united, take me home the torquay road.........
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I know its a psf,however good performances and results are still vital,confidence breed's confidence,another good win here will help set the team up nicely for the season's opener.

And those who did not make it to the Bristol City game,get yourselves up to plainmoor tonight,if the team play anywhere near the standard of passing football they did on Saturday you will not be dissapointed.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I will be there. Expecting a good runout for our lads and a competitive match. Time to get one over that 'rank' club ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Southampton Gull wrote:I will be there. Expecting a good runout for our lads and a competitive match. Time to get one over that 'rank' club ;-)
:clap: :bow:
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Good effort Bretty, but you've taken away my thing to do at work today. I swear somehow, I have lost a day this week since I was planning on doing this yesterday, which I thought was today.

I might just add to your work thus far, since there's bog all wrong with it.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by tufcbrett »

ferrarilover wrote:Good effort Bretty, but you've taken away my thing to do at work today. I swear somehow, I have lost a day this week since I was planning on doing this yesterday, which I thought was today.

I might just add to your work thus far, since there's bog all wrong with it.

Matt.
Sorry mate, I got on last night and noone had done it, the game being tonight i thought i would do it.
You going to be at the game tonight? Feel free to add to it :scarf:
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Looking forward to welcoming back our friend Steve Tully!
When you remember he played for us back when Wes Saunders was manager you realise how long Galmpton's "finest" has been around.
Wes used to give the young Tully loads of stick from the touch-line-usually for getting dragged out of position.
I do remember him breaking out from the back at some pace but then losing the ball,mis-passing it,or putting in a poor cross at the end of a strong run.
He didn't then seem to have what it takes and it was no surprise that we got rid of him-though disappointing as he was a local lad who came through our Youth system.
Credit to him though he worked hard at Weymouth,caught the eye of the Greeks and became an integral part of their rise from BSP to league 1.
He still seems to be a favourite of Tisdale and by all accounts is a consistent performer now,having greatly improved his all-round game.
Didn't endear himself to Gulls' fans though with his tirade about Sillsy following the first leg of the BSP play-off when he and other Greek players tried to get him sent off;nor when he gloated after their second leg victory and swore in his interview.
A warm Plainmoor welcome for Stevie T tonight then Yellow troopers!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Aren't their first team squad in Norway? Maybe it will be a scratch side to play us. I know of plenty of Greeks planning on making the trip. A hostile derby atmosphere would be nice.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I read in the WMN this morning that Paul Tisdale is expecting a similar game to what he will get against Stevenage in thier opening league game.....

Really? :lol:

Will be interesting to see how he deals with our dirty tricks, time wasting and gamesmanship! :rofl:
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Southampton Gull wrote:Aren't their first team squad in Norway? Maybe it will be a scratch side to play us.
Express & Echo has them back from their unbeaten tour of Norway and looking forward to the short journey down the A380.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by tufcbrett »

SteveDeckchair wrote: Express & Echo has them back from their unbeaten tour of Norway and looking forward to the short journey down the A380.
Yes they are back, a friend from my home town Tom Nichols has come through there youth team and now apart of there first team. Made his debut against sheff wednesday at the end of the season. Anyways he back and playing tonight which so the rest of the side. Will be intresting to see him play.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

There will be live match commentary of the match tonight on Gullsplayer.

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 51,00.html
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Well played Mr Deckchair, quite bloody right.

For a geezer who clearly knows absolutely nothing about football, that Titsdale has done alright for himself.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"