Oxford vs Torquay - Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Oxford vs Torquay - Match Thread

Post by Plymouth Gull »

We travel to the Kassam Stadium, home of Oxford United, for another tough looking league fixture, on Tuesday night. Oxford had a very successful season last season, as they were promoted from the Conference, in which they joined back in 2006. It took four years for a club who could easily cope at League One level, in my opinion, to get back, and now I'm sure they'll be looking to consolidate again, then push on further. They followed our footsteps too, winning promotion at Wembley, after a 3-1 victory over York City, with a fantastic goal from our own (at the time) Matt Green, who has since joined the U's on a permanent deal.

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - League 2 - 23rd place - 49 points
2006/07 - Conference - 2nd place - 81 points - LOST IN PLAYOFFS
2007/08 - Conference - 9th place - 71 points
2008/09 - Conference - 7th place - 77 points
2009/10 - Conference - 3rd place - 86 points - PROMOTED VIA PLAYOFFS

As you can see, their exit from League 2 in 2006 was a massive shock for the Club. A final day defeat, losing 3-2 to Leyton Orient, coupled by our fantastic escape under Ian Atkins, saw the U's down. However, they were always the biggest club in the Conference. They were still getting gates of 5,000/6,000 in the non-league, which is exceptional. Their first season in the Conference saw them top of the league for the first third of the season, but then Dagenham came out of the shadows, eventually winning the league by a fair margin. Two seasons of closely following the playoff pack proceeded, until last season, when they held onto the top 5 position for alot of the season, eventually finishing 3rd, behind Stevenage and Luton. A win over York City at Wembley was the reward, after beating Rushden over the two-legged Semi final.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Oxford wins - 6
Torquay wins - 7 (4 in League)
Draws - 13 (12 in League)

We have a decent cup record against Oxford, having knocked them out whenever we've played them. But its a bit tighter in the League. Out of 22 league meetings, 12 have been draws, 6 Oxford wins and 4 Torquay. The two clubs have played alot since the turn of the millenium, but before that, the meetings were a bit rare, between the 1970's and 2000's. Some great games include a 3-3 draw at Plainmoor in 2005, that incredible 3-3 in the BSP in 2007, after we were 3-0 down at half time, beating them 3-2 in the return fixture at Plainmoor that season. I also remember the 3-0 victory over the U's in the 2003/04 promotion year - mainly for one Oxford fan before the game saying '3-0 TO OXFORD! TORQUAY ARE SH*T.' right to me outside, so it made it a little bit sweeter.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

DWLLWL

It's been a fairly tough recent run for Oxford. A draw away to Cheltenham was a decent result, and that was followed by a great 2-1 win over the then-leaders Port Vale. However, defeats against Macclesfield, Aldershot and Bradford have sandwiched a victory against Northampton. The U's will be looking to bounce back from the 5-0 defeat yesterday at Valley Parade.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the side that lined up against Bradford:

Ryan Clarke

Ben Purkiss
Jake Wright
Mark Creighton
Andy Tonkin

Simon Heslop
Josh Payne
Asa Hall

Alfie Potter
James Constable
Tom Craddock

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

For me, this is a side that has quality throughout the pitch, but the main worries for me are the attacking trio, and Josh Payne. Payne is a youngster who is like a complete midfielder, I believe - he can score, tackle, pass, the lot. Alfie Potter is a quick, skilful winger who will need to be watched carefully as he can always pop up with a goal or two. Constable is the obvious choice - plenty of goals last season, and he's already got a fair few this season. Tom Craddock is also a proven goalscorer - he finished top of the goalscoring charts for Luton last season, and has scored one or two already for his new club.

PREDICTION.

This'll be a tough one, but we seem to play better away from home. Couple that with Jake Wright and possibly Mark Creighton (not sure if the two-yellows 1 match ban comes in straight away) missing, thats really weakened their backline.

Oxford 2-2 Gulls.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I think - but am not 100% sure - that Creighton will be suspended as well. It still counts as a red so should take effect immediately. Josh Payne also went off injured yesterday so could be a doubt for Tuesday.

I think their home record is P7 W3 D1 L3, so a little win or bust. We have been quite good on the road this season, got a feeling we might nick this one with all the factors thrown in.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Hope so. I thought there was a rule that the ban for two yellows comes in 7 days after being given? Or did I just imagine that?!

Ooh, didn't know about Payne - that could be quite useful for us then too :P
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

NickGull wrote:Hope so. I thought there was a rule that the ban for two yellows comes in 7 days after being given? Or did I just imagine that?!

Ooh, didn't know about Payne - that could be quite useful for us then too :P
I thought - although I wait to be proved incorrect - that that rule applies only if a player picks up a suspension for 5 yellow cards. I'm hoping that I'm right - if we were going into a game without Branno and Ellis we'd be worried.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Ah, possibly then, I'm not sure. I hope you're right too! :P

And so would I!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Page 331 of the FA HAndbook states:

"A player who is dismissed from the field of play for receiving a second caution in the same match will be suspended automatically from FTCM (First team competitive match) commencing forthwith, until such a time as his club's first team has completed its next FTCM."

In short, yes it would appear the ban is straight away.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

scottbrehaut wrote:Page 331 of the FA HAndbook states:

"A player who is dismissed from the field of play for receiving a second caution in the same match will be suspended automatically from FTCM (First team competitive match) commencing forthwith, until such a time as his club's first team has completed its next FTCM."

In short, yes it would appear the ban is straight away.
Excellent news. I've been waiting for someone with more knowledge to confirm that for me.

So no first choice centre backs for Oxford then. Hopefully we can take advantage of it.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

After finally winning i believe we can make it 2 wins in a row- especially after they could have 3 players out and lost 5-0.

Oxford 0-1 Torquay (benyon)

The only changes I'd make Is Stevens and Rose in for kee and Macklin.

A lovely clean sheet would do nicely!!

Note: zebroski is on 4 yellows- after picking up a needless one yesterday.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Good stuff Scott. :)

So, I'd hazard a guess at saying their back line would include back up players like Harry Worley and Damien Batt?

I thought this was going to be tough, but without their central defensive duo, it looks a little easier! :)
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

NickGull wrote:Good stuff Scott. :)

So, I'd hazard a guess at saying their back line would include back up players like Harry Worley and Damien Batt?

I thought this was going to be tough, but without their central defensive duo, it looks a little easier! :)
I think Damian Batt is normally considered first choice but has beens struggling with injury of late. He may make it, but I'd imagine they'd want to make as few other changes as possible with the centre halves missing.

I'd expect to see them line up at the back with:

Purkiss - Worley - Franks - Tonkin

Although thats not their first choice line up, I think they have played with that back 4 a few times this season with mixed results (defeats against Aldershot and Macc, but a win against Vale). Still, I'd much rather face them with key players missing so it gives us a little more hope.
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Looks winnable, that's for sure! ;-)

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

3-1 Torquay!

Gutted I can't go this year!

Yellow Army!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

3 points for the taking ladies and gents your right they do look vulnerable at the back lets take advantage of that lets hope the confidence is back runnig through our veins again coyy
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I never feel confident against Oxford United. Thus:
Oxford United (0) 2
Torquay United (0) 0

Att: 4,877.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

This is my nearest fixture and I'm really looking forward to it; the 2-0 win and that fantastic comeback from 0-3 to 3-3 with Sillsy proving to his old club that he could score goals!! If good things go in threes, let's hope for a belter tomorrow!!!
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.