Oxford vs Torquay - Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Fantastic, especially pleased for Billy, looking forward to reading the reports.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

bixieupnorth wrote:our latest run of wins to continue tonight, 0-2 benyon and grits on as late sub!
ahem!!! i'm certain the elliot scored, and grits would've if he'd come on!!

fantastic victory and great to see another clean sheet at long long last!! well done boys!!
still keeping the faith
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Yellow4life wrote:Ssn have spelt kee as KEY !:)
di**heads. :lol:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Some of the comments made during the first half after Robbo replaced Rose look a bit silly now, don't they?

Buckle has got his subs bang on for the second game running and it's produced back-to-back wins.

Excellent result.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

No not for me they dont,i stand by what i said regards the Rose for Robbo substitution.however all credit to bucks and the team cracking result
Formerly known as forevertufc
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I almost hang my head in shame. Happy to be wrong. Feels good.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tommyg wrote:Some of the comments made during the first half after Robbo replaced Rose look a bit silly now, don't they?

Buckle has got his subs bang on for the second game running and it's produced back-to-back wins.

Excellent result.
you could say that mate, but if we had got spanked 5-1 then your post would not have happened!

and remember, everyone is entitled to their opinion at the time.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

tommyg wrote:Some of the comments made during the first half after Robbo replaced Rose look a bit silly now, don't they?

Excellent result.
Didn't comment, didn't even read the comments but I have to admit I was thinking the same thing. Yes it was the right thing to do,,, We need to remember how young this guy still is plus we will never know what PB's brief would have been from Mad Mick.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: you could say that mate, but if we had got spanked 5-1 then your post would not have happened!

and remember, everyone is entitled to their opinion at the time.
Why do you think I waited until FT?! :)
Last edited by tommyg on 02 Nov 2010, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'll wait to hear what people say who were there before passing judgement on the subs. However for me it seemed like a sensible thing to do.

Away from home, down to 10, playing a side playing 4-3-3 and defending a lead it seemed a little gung ho to still have Benyon, Rose and Zebs all on the pitch. Rose has a reputation preceding him that he is a bit lazy at tracking back (and that showed at Gillingham, although he did pick up a knock later on so that may be a little harsh), while we know that Zebs, Benyon would put in a monumental shift if required.

Playing against 3 attackers, for me it made sense to put Robbo on and either a) go 5 across the back or b) go with Oastler/Wroe/Manse/Zebs in midfield and play compact.

Like i said, I'm looking forward to hearing how the game panned out and whether the substitution did affect the game. Whether it did or didn't, we won and we should all be happy!

Just as a nerdy side-statistic, we are now on 23 points. We didn't get that many last season until boxing day, and even by mid-feb we only had 29. Looks a lot rosier this time around, doesn't it? (even allowing for 9 without a win!)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tommyg wrote: Why did you think I waited until FT?! :)

fair enough.... :rofl: :lol: :lol:

TUST Member 468

united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

Great win! Just hope the oxford fans aren't taking it out on the coaches.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Great win! So happy for my son and his mates who went to the game from Portsmouth/Southampton.

Sounds like the manager earned his corn again today.

There must also have been some great defensive performances in that display.

Really pleased that Billy Kee is off the mark - parhaps we'll see a different player from now on.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Just got home from one of those games that make you proud to be a Torquay fan.

Special praise to a few players, but credit to each and every one of them bar Macklin who should now buy them all a beer for getting him off the hook.

Branston, nothing short of immense, ditto for Bevan and Mansell. Every player worked his socks off, really pleased for Billy Kee, he had two other chances but managed to break his duck with a well-taken goal.

Paul Buckle, well done for making the change that made sure we got the points tonight, if anyone dares to agree with the one moron who barracked him for taking off Rose then they should be ashamed of themselves. Yes, Rose was playing well, but by bringing on Robbo to fill in at the back and allowing Mansell to shore up the midfield the manager stifled an Oxford side who were beginning to overrun us. Tactically it was spot on.

Ref wasn't good, seemed to be more interested in courting the favour of the home fans but fortunately didn't help them steal what we fought so hard for.

Fantastic turnout by the Yellow Army, superb atmosphere, making it laughable that one ex-dotnetter stated he wouldn't travel from his London home to the Kassam :) He missed a performance that probably won't be bettered all season.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SouthamptonGull wrote:Just got home from one of those games that make you proud to be a Torquay fan.

Special praise to a few players, but credit to each and every one of them bar Macklin who should now buy them all a beer for getting him off the hook.

Branston, nothing short of immense, ditto for Bevan and Mansell. Every player worked his socks off, really pleased for Billy Kee, he had two other chances but managed to break his duck with a well-taken goal.

Paul Buckle, well done for making the change that made sure we got the points tonight, if anyone dares to agree with the one moron who barracked him for taking off Rose then they should be ashamed of themselves. Yes, Rose was playing well, but by bringing on Robbo to fill in at the back and allowing Mansell to shore up the midfield the manager stifled an Oxford side who were beginning to overrun us. Tactically it was spot on.

Ref wasn't good, seemed to be more interested in courting the favour of the home fans but fortunately didn't help them steal what we fought so hard for.

Fantastic turnout by the Yellow Army, superb atmosphere, making it laughable that one ex-dotnetter stated he wouldn't travel from his London home to the Kassam :) He missed a performance that probably won't be bettered all season.

cheers for that dave.

and did you fly home by any chance?? :rofl: :lol: :lol:

TUST Member 468