Battle of the Seasiders - Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Have just been bit naughty and checked live table - sorry - but we're back up to 8th at moment
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Good win to the torquay boys. a win for the torquay boys. ohh need I go on. Come on you yellows. onward and upward. sooo much better than last year. If you had said we would have been around the top half of the table let alone possibly 8th I would have bitten yer hand off.
anyone for shopping.lol
Last edited by Glostergull on 30 Oct 2010, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

FT :) well done lads :)
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Lol indeed gloster ;-)

Well done team and Bucks, turned it around after a bit of a pants first half. Badly needed to win and we did!!! Yes!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

This will look good on spotlight on monday night with Exeter losing badly hehe. and plumduff going down as well. We are the only winners in Devon this week. oh what a nice feeling. and it will look not at all bad on tv tonite either.
Oh I could spend a fortuned in Morrisons.hehe.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

job done always keeping the faith well done you beautys
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Yay! :)

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Great day! :)

Massive win, just to break the run. Now to get something on Tuesday, Oxford coming off a 5-0 defeat today!
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Fantastic result - great to finally break that wretched run, and with results going the way they did it was pretty crucial. Anything other than a win would have seen us right in the middle of a real log-jam in mid-table. Its a real close division, which is why I'm slightly suprised that after 1 win in 10 we're still right in the mix.

I'll be interested to hear the view of those at the game. It seems from the outside looking in that the substitutions really made a difference today - even if one was enforced with the injury-prone Senda limping off, we seemed to get a lot better when O'Kane was on the pitch and Oastler moved to right back. Rose showed flashes of promise last week, and it sounds like he scored a good goal today so he could perhaps push on into an influential role.

It will be interesting to see how we line up at Oxford, as it won't be as simple as just putting Rose and Hemmings straight in for Kee and Macklin. Quite a few selection headaches for Bucks it would seem. either way, I take it as a positive that Oxford got thumped 5-0 today - although there will probably be a backlash on Tuesday, it shows there are weaknesses there. Also they had 2 centre halves sent off (one straight red), does anyone know when their suspensions will kick in - my understanding is that if you get a red you immediately get suspended, its only if you get a ban under the totting up of yellow cards that you wait a week?

Didn't sound as though Billy Kee had a blinder today again - feel sorry for the lad as things just don't seem to work out for him. Might it be worth shipping him out on loan to a BSP club to get a run of games and hopefully find some form?

Anyways, I look forward to the match reports and the Football League show for the first time in a while, and I look forward to basking in the glory of a victory for the first time in a long long time!

P.S - Mansfield got turned over 4-1 at home today, had a man sent off for violent conduct (3 match ban?) and lost one of their main strikers to injury. Good from our point of view!
Last edited by Jeff on 30 Oct 2010, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
BernardB
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BernardB »

Hating Exeter is one thing (quite right too) but why take so much pleasure in Argyle's last-minute defeat? When I lived in Devon and Torquay weren't playing at home, I often used to go to watch Argyle. Their supporters were friendly and welcoming (even the much-feared matelots). I admit it was a long time ago.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by eastyorksgull »

BernardB wrote:Hating Exeter is one thing (quite right too) but why take so much pleasure in Argyle's last-minute defeat? When I lived in Devon and Torquay weren't playing at home, I often used to go to watch Argyle. Their supporters were friendly and welcoming (even the much-feared matelots). I admit it was a long time ago.
they dislike us with a passion they would have been laughing there heads off at us over the last month or so so ha ha ha ha coyy
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

I've always had a soft spot for Argyle, mostly 'cos we've not been in the same division much in the longest time. I, too, used to go and see them in the mid-late 70s from time to time.

As for the Greeks...hahahahaha today! :lol:

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I was at the game...

The first sending off was when benyon went through 1v1 and the defender clearly pushed his hands out and benyon over- the referee DID NOT give the penalty and he wasn't going too. It was a clear penalty and only the assistant gave it. The result of a red card was then surely never in doubt.

A dodgy penalty down the middle really by benyon who then tap in the rebound after the keeper had saved. 1-0.
At this point I thought it would be a 3-0 result but then I remembered this is tufc! ;-) they then scored an equaliser of which I didn't really see. 1-1.

Inbetween the goals there wasn't anything worth mentioning and the same up until HT.

Second half started with no changes and continued as most of the first had been. In the 52nd minute poor poor Macklin went off for Rose and kee who had his vest chance to score in a Torquay shirt yet; earlier in the game then went off for Hemmings. A few minutes later Senda went in to attacking territory and skilled through two players but then pulled his hamstring- he then had to be replaced. O'kane came into CM with oastler going RB. This is where I thought the game changed...Rose was running the wings very well.

The next goal came from our corner- it was cleared and only Wroe was in our half. There was then a race to see who was going to get the ball first(Wroe or there player) Wroe won it with a great tackle- he then ran the ball up and passed to Rose who struck a great low powerful shot into the keepers left post.

The second sending off I believe came after an off the ball incident when Shuker I believe kicked Rose when the ball was up the other end. With 9 men Morcambe still passed the ball about but were stretched when zebroski picked the ball near the penalty area and skilled it passed two of there players in the box- then passed the ball through to benyon who tapped it in. 3-1. After this it went quiet until benyon with a header could of made it 4-1.

Good result but not a great performance

Side notes:
-Wroe did well in the 2nd half
-oastler seem to have done better at RB
-we seemed to take the momentum when O'kane came on
-Macklin was very poor today

The referee had a OK game but missed the obvious fouls so not the worst we've ever had!

The linesmen had a great game today and didn't miss a thing.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by eastyorksgull »

yellowsmiffy wrote: That's not true at all!!! I live very near Plymouth and all my mates are Argyle fans. In our promotion season in 03/04 etc Home Park cheered the news of our promotion, and they often give a little 'waheey' at half time when Torquay are winning and the scores are being read out. Of course if we end up both in league 2 next season, a strong rivalry will be held between the clubs, but Exeter are the ones both clubs dislike with a passion!!

City like to claim that their only derby is Plymouth, but I think we all know after some of the derbys they secretly hate us too. As soon as Tisdale leaves they will be back in league 2 with us sooner or later, and maybe even Plymouth! Now that would be some season!
fair point yellowsmiffy mayb nt argyle so apologise to you and your mates but the greeks now thats a different ball game
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Hello everyone, i was at the match today, and I thought we were terrible. Had we been against 11 men we wouldn't have one, simple, first half we were poor, benyon was bullied out of the match by the sheer size of the Morecambe squad (anyone else notice there were no black players?)

First sending off, from where I was stood I thought benyon had 'gone down' as is expected of a small striker such as he, though the person next to me was adamant it was a penalty, one for the football league I think.

Something has gone wrong with our defense, their equalising goal was astonishing, how no-one bothered to try and clear the ball remains a mystery, and I too would like to see if Scott could have done anything to stop it going in.

Second half started pretty much the same, sad to see Kee didn't have a good game, I respect him for the effort he's putting in but just can't see him partnering Benyon. Anyway, the two new boys on loan come on as subs, Torquay actually look capable of doing something. That Hemmings lad, something very Jake Thomson about him, as for Rose, pace, skill, desire, VERY glad to have him in our squad (is he on a 1month loan? If so we need this fella on a season loan.)

The second goal was a scrappy affair followed by a perfect strike by Rose, a real belter and definitely one for the FL show. The third goal showed how Zebroski has matured of late, he was on a 1-1 with the keeper, with a short margin nearside post, but he lifted his head, saw an on side Benyon and passed allowing a simple tap in for Torquays Number 9.

Little word about the second red card, absolute disgrace, he went in to stamp on Rose. Those of you at the game will have noticed how the player took the red with no complaint and walked off the pitch.

All in all, first half crap, second half better, substitutes worked well today, shout out for O'kane who had a few decent runs and passes, we're onto a money spinner with him, an finally, Macklin starting in place of Danny - are you having a laugh buckle?