Battle of the Seasiders - Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wodger-of-Awabia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Zebroski

Post by wodger-of-Awabia »

yellowsmiffy wrote: That's not true at all!!! I live very near Plymouth and all my mates are Argyle fans. In our promotion season in 03/04 etc Home Park cheered the news of our promotion, and they often give a little 'waheey' at half time when Torquay are winning and the scores are being read out. Of course if we end up both in league 2 next season, a strong rivalry will be held between the clubs, but Exeter are the ones both clubs dislike with a passion!!

City like to claim that their only derby is Plymouth, but I think we all know after some of the derbys they secretly hate us too. As soon as Tisdale leaves they will be back in league 2 with us sooner or later, and maybe even Plymouth! Now that would be some season!
Don't think that we have any problems with Argyle doing well, look at the great players that we have signed from them over the years, surely it would be in Tqys interest if Plymouth were prem. league, we would be able to loan some good kids from them. It would not hurt for Devon to have a side in the prem. & lets face it , Tqy & Exeter will never get there.
Zebroski For Poland..........I am Brian!,& so is my wife!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Was right in line with the penalty area,and have to say it think there was very minimal contact on benyon,he went down looking for it,to me though it shows a real travesty in football,home to bury benners is fouled in the area ,it was a penalty he shows his honesty stays on his feet and gets nothing,so today he takes a tumble and gets the ultimate reward,if referee's were to start rewarding honesty then there would be no need to dive.

At times today we looked disjointed ,and i have seen play a hundred times better and lose,however not complaining the team needed to break this awful run they were in,and for once at home the decisions seemed to go our way,as i had moved up the other end in the second half,and to me benners may have been offside for his second.

Still fantastic three points.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I too would resist having a go at Argyle - they have been good to us over the years and there is never any ill-feeling when I have been at Home Park.

Rivalry is all very well but it should stay there - we should aim to feed off Argyle, recognising that they are a bigger club than either us or City.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

My take on today's match was as follows - great result but poor performance for most of the game.

Why did we spend all the first half aimlessly hoofing the ball up to a strikeforce which must be the smallest in the league?

Also, why did our midfield retreat so far once they went a man down? We gifted them the middle of the park for most of the first half.

It took the manager to sort it out and, to his credit, he did.

My evaluations are as follows

Bevan 7/10 - no chance with their goal
Senda 6/10 - injury prone
Ellis 6/10 - had his hands full with Mullins
Branston 6/10 - much better performance than recently
Nicho 5/10 - was given a torrid time by Duffy
Zebs 7/10 - another spirited performance
Oastler 6/10 - looked more at home at RB later
Wroe 6/10 - was excellent in the second half after a poor first 45
Macklin 3/10 - couldn't control the ball
Key 5/10 - looked so out of sorts
Benyon 7/10 - worked incredibly hard against a big defence
Rose 7/10 - looked good when he came on - stunning pace and great goal
Hemmings 6/10 - took time to break into the game
O'Kane 7/10 - if only he had a greater physical presence! Great volley to hit the post

Manager 7/10 - substitutions made the difference

Officials 8/10 - the linos were excellent, the ref was good

Crowd 5/10 - getting smaller and very quiet for most of the game

By the way, I sat next to Chris Robertson and behind Lee Mansell. Both were in good form - Robbo had been ill during the week and that is why he was absent.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Haven't read the thread today apologies. Halloween/fireworks party in progress. Chuffed to bits hopefully we're on the way.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

HRG wrote:Haven't read the thread today apologies. Halloween/fireworks party in progress. Chuffed to bits hopefully we're on the way.

me neither HRG. :(

at least we won!! :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Worthy of a huzzah! Eh Super? :)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'm glad I wasn't in the minority when I came out thinking that had we been playing a side who were fairly decent then we would have got beaten, and fairly easily.

When I came out of the Greenhous Meadow at the start of the month, having watched us pass Shrewsbury off the pitch, I said that sometime we'll play 10 times worse, and win. That was that today.

3 points is what matters, and we're up there now.

Now push onto Oxford, who lost both centre halfs yesterday!! :)
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

NickGull wrote:I'm glad I wasn't in the minority when I came out thinking that had we been playing a side who were fairly decent then we would have got beaten, and fairly easily.
I think you are being harsh on Morecambe Nick. They came here with the plan of having 5 in midfield and looking to catch us on the break, pretty much as Maccy did, with Mullin as a target man and following up with rather quick support for him to lay the ball off to. Duffy & Brown on either side looked very pacy.

Their plan even survived losing a defender. How the ref initially didnt give it bemuses me for the 2nd home game in a row. Thank you to the linesman who seemed to know how to officiate a football match.

Once down to 10, Morecambe still held their shape well playing 4-4-1 when we had the ball and 3-4-2 when they had it. Im afraid our midfield came out 2nd best in the match. Zebs spent much of the 1st half trying to close Duffy down meaning he was always going to have limited impact going forward. Macklin didnt do himself justice for being given a start, I had expected more from him but to be fair, Brown and the fullback were quick to close him down.
I felt Kee didnt do much to make himself a starter either. Played much better against Bury. His passing was inaccurate and seemed dispossessed too easily.
All credit to Bucks for the timing of the subs. Both look good prospects with pace and Rose can certainly pick a shot, Hemmings final ball lacked accuracy though.

Overall, Morecambe won the midfield battle meaning our defence was under pressure more than it should have been. Mullin would be a perfect foil for Benyon and Zebs to feed off, as his ability to win and hold the ball was excellent. He was always a reliable outlet and won more than he lost against Ellis and Branners.

Senda looked good after a bit of hesitancy in the first 10 or 15 minutes. Hope his hamstring isnt serious.
Bevs wasnt really tested till the freekick at the end and had no chance to react for their goal.

Once the subs were on, Morecambe started to tire, we found more space and possession and there was only really going to be one winner. I dont think the 2nd red card had any effect on the result thought it made it a bit easier for Zebs to display his skills :)

Not the best we've played this season but not the worst either...
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Fair play, Fletch.

I just feel that had we been up against a side like Oxford/Cheltenham (for examples) then we wouldn't have won. You would have expected the red card to change the game, but it didn't - for the first half Morecambe were playing nice football, but they seemed to revert to pumping it to Mullin, who was always going to struggle against a back-to-his-usual-self Branston and Ellis, especially with no support either.
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

Great to get a win. I think I have the same veiws of some, I thought we didn't play that well and that we were lucky to win 3-1. Great to get a win though so can't complain.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Modgull wrote:Crowd 5/10 - getting smaller and very quiet for most of the game
You should have come and sat with us in the back corner (by the popside) in the family stand. We didn't stop singing, even my 5 year old daughter (it was her first game) sang for the entire game, she even started a couple of chants herself.