Gillingham vs Torquay Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tufcgull wrote:it says we lost 1-0 on bbc?? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 092640.stm :rofl:

they are a bit slow mate - like greek fans....... :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

tufcgull wrote:it says we lost 1-0 on bbc?? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 092640.stm :rofl:
But then, on the "live text" it says:

90:00+4:05 GOAL - Kevin Nicholson:Gillingham 1 - 1 Torquay Kevin Nicholson finds the net with a goal from just outside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Gillingham 1-1 Torquay.

They are very slow though - they didn't report the goal until five minutes after full time!! So much for "live" text!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Was 1-1, O'kane and oastler CM...Rose/zebs wide?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
BRING BACK SUPER!! :)
I guessing bench at best. Will imagine we will see a CM of Oastler and O'Kane (or maybe Lathrope will be back and he will play) - who knows. Just don't think Wroe will start (happy to be wrong though!!)

Oh, wonder who will be captain too?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Nico/Robbo?
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

On Final Score, the bloke on the Beeb said "Kenny" Nicholson had scored! :lol:

Well done today, lads.

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Only 7 points now between us and the bottom 2
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Left the pub we were 1-0 down so this was a lovely suprise. About time it was us that scored the last minute equaliser.

Blimey monkey talk about the glass being half empty, we nearly came away with nothing.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

yellowmonkey wrote:Only 7 points now between us and the bottom 2

or, on a positive note, 2pts off the play-offs................ :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

yellowmonkey wrote:Only 7 points now between us and the bottom 2

We were 7 off at the start anyway? We had 16. Hereford and barnet had 9
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Just got back, and will give you as much of a match report as I can be bothered to write!

Awful game of football! Neither team had any quality in the final third, chances were few and far between and it looked nailed on 0-0 until it all went a little crazy. It looked for all the world that we'd thrown it away, then got a stroke of luck.

We started with O'Kane on the left with Rose up front with Benyon, but this swiftly changed and Rose and Zebs took up the flanks and Eunan moved inside. After Beven had flapped at a long thrown inside 2 minutes, we had a bright little spell. Rose turned in space on the edge of the box and forced a great save from our old friend Alan Julian (more on him later). From the resulting corner, Oastler headed it from point blank range at the sprawling Julian, and the chance was gone.

We then went pretty rubbish for the rest of the half - aimless high balls knocked to Benyon which went nowhere. Branston was looking shaky at the back, and Robbo was making some very questionable decisions regarding positioning and distribution. But Gillingham had nothing to take advantage of it. A few speculative shots, and Bevan made 2 good saves from close range and that was pretty much it. Bayo was brought on after about half an hour - he is now twice the size of what he was even last season. Bayo's introduction seemed to perk Branston up a bit, relishing the physical battle and he did o.k.

Second half started, and within minutes we'd nearly scored again. A Nico long throw sat up for Zebs to acrobatically volley onto the face of the bar, and the chance was gone. That was pretty much as good as it got in the second half, as we struggled to create much. Gillingham started cranking up a bit of pressure without really creating any clear cut chances, again lots of wayward shots. The ineffective O'Kane (quiet game by his standards) was replaced by Hemmings. Hemmings looked quick, but has no footballing brain. Lost possession constantly in dangerous areas and wasn't better than Stevens or Macklin. Rose took a knock and was replaced by Kee - Rose had good moments, but is very selfish and ran out of steam quickly. Another wasted signing perhaps.........?

Things started to change when Gillingham brought on Spiller for Maher in Centre Mid, and suddenly they started getting at us a lot more. At this point the ref started losing the plot more and more, and gave us very little. They still wern't creating any clear cut chances or testing Bevan. But then the clock ticked onto 80mins.......

Somewhere in the build up Hemmings had done his now-obligatory loss of the ball. A cross was swung in from the Gills left, Bayo heads it past the stranded Bevan but onto the underside of the bar and its hacked away. In the next phase of play, a cross from the same side is volleyed in stylishly by the highly rated Cody McDonald (who'd done nothing up until then), out of Bevans reach into the bottom corner. A great finish, and the only bit of quality up front all day. Gutted.

Straight away, we threw Gritts on (who looked good I thought), and we nearly equalised. Hemmings got away down the left and did something good, whipping a great low cross into the danger area. Kee flicked out a boot, beat the keeper, hit the inside of the post and Julian rescued it on the line. Even more gutted.

We lost our heads - Oastler, Robbo and Mansell all went flying in and picked up bookings. Kee hacked down their centre half and got booked, and Gritts got booked for back-chat. The ref gave some free-kicks to them for nothing 50-50 challenges, whilst ignoring Bayo pretty much punching Ellis in the head when going for a high ball. It was turning into one of those............

Mansell showed some neat trickery on the edge of the box, just looked to get his shot away but was challenged - fairly, but he went down. The ref books him for diving, and off he goes. Thats it, we all think. What a ridiculous end to the day.

3 mins of stoppage time are signalled, and there is one last roll of the dice. Kee bustles away and gets felled on the edge of the box - I thought it looked like it could have been a foul either way. Gills line up a 10man wall, and Nico strides up. He hits it low, but not that hard. I thought it was easy meat for the keeper, and from the other end it looked like he claimed it easily.........................but the next thing we know all the players are mobbing Nico!!!!!!!! It went in, and I barely even saw it! On the way back to the car I overhead some Gills fans saying "Trust Julian to have a Robert green moment", so I'm looking forward to seeing TUFC's favourite goalkeepers latest adventure!

I thought Nico was great today and deserved the adulation of an equaliser. Mansell was great as well, and did not deserve to be sent off. Was also impressed with Oastler, big and strong in the centre of the park. Not overly impressed by the other new boys - Hemmings either gives it away or runs out of play, but he does have a turn of pace and might just be a case of realising he's playing with the big boys now. Rose needs to get fit, and realise when he should pass it (and how hard to hit it when he does!). Branston improved as the game went on, Ellis was back to his best I thought. O'Kane was quiet, Benyon had no decent service and no chance to shine. Zebs tried hard and looked our most threatening player. Kee took quite a bit of flack when he came on, but I thought he was half decent, and Gritts was better than I'd seen him before.

I'd have taken a point before the game, and it was sweet in the way that we took it. But for some more luck, we'd have won today (again), but it was slightly worrying that we wern't really that good today!

Wow, I wrote more than I thought!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Well, that was the game that got away, or if you like, it was a point won.

Gillingham were poor, so poor that the game was definitely there to be won. We started brightly, playing some neat football and created some good chances early on.

The rain-soaked Yellow Army were there in surprisingly good numbers but not particularly vocal due to that awful bit of scaffolding that Gillingham have the bare-faced cheek to charge £23 to sit on, it really is a disgrace at this level. The home support were probably the quietest I've ever witnessed, if we think we have problems generating an atmosphere at Plainmoor then we should count ourselves lucky we don't support that club, totally woeful "support". The first time I heard them sing a single song was immediately after scoring.

Their goal was well-taken, but if Branston had had the sense to try and block their effort he might well have succeeded, instead he froze, stood motionless as it was stuck away. I don't want to be harsh on him as up until then he had a pretty solid game in comparison to recent form. H e got turned a couple of times but overall he did ok for me. Rose looked prety good on occasions, good physical presence and keen to shoot on sight. Jury is out on our other loanee, he had two chances to run at them soon after coming on, only to dribble it straight into touch. Pretty ineffective but early days.

Bevan had a very good first half pulling off some terrific saves in quick succession to keep it goalless. Our best performer for me today was Nico, he defended resolutely throughout and looked in control of almost every situation, he's using his brain to make up for what he lacks in pace and started off a few attacks with key interceptions. Very pleased with him. Ellis and Robbo were quieter than usual, especially in the second half. Eunan did his usual shift, looking very sharp until he was replaced. Pleased with our central pairing, they battled hard the whole game and gave Gillingham very little change.

Benyon worked hard as usual but it didn't happen for him today. Zebs was very unlucky with a brilliantly taken volley which hit the bar.

The officials, for me the referee was awful, he managed to get so many decisions totally wrong, including the dismissal of Mansell, not sure why he deemed it anything other than a fall, wasn't a dive, he didn;t appeal, so bloody frustrating. The linesman at our end was overuled a few times and missed more than a few throw-ins for both sides that were given the wrong way.

The equaliser was a well-drilled free-kick straight through the wall along the ground to the keeper who somehow managed to let it squeeze past him with what was the penultimate kick of the game after the ref blew for full-time immediately the restart was taken.

I'll take the point, we really didn't deserve to lose, probably in fairness we didn't deserve to win although that really was a game we could have won if we'd had more belief about us.

I'll be interested to read what the Manager has to say about the game and the key decisions.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Beat me to it, Jeff, but I'm glad you also recognised a good performance from Nico :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
sexygulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by sexygulls »

Just got back.
Thought we were pretty poor, creating very little throughout and giving the ball away constantly. The fear that grips us when we are have a bad run was in full force today, Pretty much everyone tried to get rid of the ball first time even when there's time to control. Also most of our play involved hoofing it long to Benyon who's never going to beat CB's in the air. Beavon was excellent apart from one early flap, Nico was excellent and O'kane showed some nice touches.

Gillingham were pretty crap as well, but looked the more likely to win. The worst support i've ever seen, not a peep until their goal. £23 for open air scaffolding, pitch looked dreadful as well. Bayo is now massive and fun was had, but whoever shouted "Your Dad washes elephants" a few times is a total moron in my book.

Ref lost it at the end, booking everyone left right and centre although we did seem to loose our discipline.

Often these kind of results, where we nick a point right at the end can give the moral boost needed to kickstart the season. Lets hope this is the case.
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

Danny_tufc wrote:Why was manse sent off? And what the hell are we going to do in CM next week?!

Same as we allways do...sod all! :O