Gillingham vs Torquay Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Sexy

If you hear more "elephant" type shouts, please report them to a steward and don't be afraid because it's our own fans.

Racism has NO place in football.

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

wurzel wrote:

Same as we allways do...sod all! :O
What were your thoughts on the midfield performance today Wurzel?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

I am delighted with the draw, but that was a terrible game of football played for long periods in almost eerie silence - had the feel of a reseve game or pre-season friendly. One of the worst performances I have seen under Buckle - largely devoid of any kind of creation and for long periods we looked very lethargic and had little shape whatsoever. Well done to the boys for keeping going and sneaking an equaliser - I can't describe it, as I left during added time as it looked like we had completely lost our discipline. I'd seen enough for the season to be honest.

Our best chances other than our goal came early in each half - Oastler had a header cleared off the line and Julian made a decent save from Rose early on the Zebs smashed one agianst the bar from close range at the start of the second half - unusually for Zebs, he connected too well with it!..........had he hit it with his normal hint of a scuff it probably would have gone in.

As the game went on we seemed more and more content to play for a 0-0. In fairnesss, Bucks was shuffling his attaking options, but the service to front line was woeful all day. There was the odd decent move, normally through O'Kane, but we were generally the poorer of two poor teams. Although one of his quieter games O'Kane talent is clear - well done to whoever brought him to the club. I thought we looked shaky at the back - Buckle's rocket to Branston has not worked - if anything it has made a guy usually brash and confident a nervous wreck. He was hesitant and unsure particularly in the first half. Had a real fifty pence piece control - one never knew which direction the ball would go from his touches. Credit to him for keeping going - He came up with one or two crucial tackles in the second half.

Our wide men were pretty ineffective today. Rose tried hard, probably to hard and scuffed an early chance. Bit of a head down and run type on the evidence of this display, but it is early days. Hemmings came on and had a frustrating knack of running the ball out of play. He did, however come up with a cracking cross to set up Kee whose shot was kept out by Julian. Zebs had little change all day from his full bakc. Was Carlisle on the bench? Too often today our players tried to do too much on the edge of our box. We lost so many of those balls and were fortunate that Gillingham were not good enough to take advantage.

There were a few positives however......................I really like the look of Oastler. I think he has a nice touch and a good engine - broke up a lot of their play. Mansell also had a decent game. A word about Nicho - his dead ball delivery was not quite at the level that we have been spoilt with, but he was pretty goodagain today. What on earth kept him out of the side last season only Buckle knows.

All in all a terrible game and probably the worst £23 I have spent in a long time. That said, a decent point. To go to Shrewsbury, Crewe and Gillingam and get a point and win at Lincoln and Port Vale is pretty impressive really - at least it would be if our home form was better. Is that no win in 9 now? Are we slipping into our usual relegation scrap?
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

scottbrehaut wrote: What were your thoughts on the midfield performance today Wurzel?

When I was having one of my many trials in Australia, the judge directed the jury about "Inference." The analogy he used was about the Australian Prime Minister who happened to be in the UK at the time. He told the jury that as the PM was in the UK on that day, if he arrived back in Australia on the following day, the jury could "Infer" that he had flown...as no other form of transport could have got him there!

Listening to the match yesterday on Gulls Player, it became clear, that when the ball was released by the backs to the midfield, the ball was being continually lost, and continually heading back in our direction because of it! So from that, I can "Infer", that the midfield were not up to their best...in fact, doing sod all!

Any more questions Scotty! ;-)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Northumbergull wrote:Sexy

If you hear more "elephant" type shouts, please report them to a steward and don't be afraid because it's our own fans.

Racism has NO place in football.

Cheers

Bruce
Not that I found it funny either, but to be fair, the reference word elephant was used regarding his weight, not anything racist.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
sexygulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by sexygulls »

SouthamptonGull wrote: Not that I found it funny either, but to be fair, the reference word elephant was used regarding his weight, not anything racist.
yeh thats what i hoped, but its pretty borderline. Anyway if something obviously racist is said I'd like to think we could sort it out amongst ourselves rather than running off to the stewards.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

SouthamptonGull wrote: Not that I found it funny either, but to be fair, the reference word elephant was used regarding his weight, not anything racist.

No racism definitely has no place in football but I'm glad somebody has picked this up because it was confusing me. I struggled to see where the racist element was.
I admit I was feeling a bit sensitive as I was accused by somebody as being racist myself in a work related issue. I referred to a customer as being "coloured" now with hindsight it was a best insensitive bit if the complainant knew me, he would know nothings further from the truth. It was a tense situation for a while and could have cost me my job. It does bug me when people are all too quick to jump on the "political correctness" bandwagon when perhaps a "word" would probably be of far greater significance.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Thanks, all, for the explanations...

As anybody who has seen me with my wife at a match, you'll know I'm in a mixed race marriage and am inclined to get a bit touchy about things at times, mostly having been on the receiving end of quite a few racist comments over the years. :(

But, still, I find the interpretation of somebody's dad washing elephants as referring to somebody's size as a bit of a hop, skip and jump.

Care to explain to an old codger how this plays out? :)

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

One could also ask how referring to someone washing elephants could be deemed racist. Surely a reference to an elephant is done on the basis of its size? I guess it's all down to perception.

I was prety close to the two who were singing that and I can promise you this, if I thought for one second either of them were being racist in any way whatsoever I'd have shut them up immediately.
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

wurzel wrote: Listening to the match yesterday on Gulls Player, it became clear, that when the ball was released by the backs to the midfield, the ball was being continually lost, and continually heading back in our direction because of it! So from that, I can "Infer", that the midfield were not up to their best...in fact, doing sod all!

Any more questions Scotty! ;-)

HoHG, I actually thought our central midfield pairing were pretty good yesterday, especially Mansell before he was very unjustly sent off, what would I know though, I didn't have Gulls Player to rely on, just my failing eyes ;-)
Dave

Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

SouthamptonGull wrote:
HoHG, I actually thought our central midfield pairing were pretty good yesterday, especially Mansell before he was very unjustly sent off, what would I know though, I didn't have Gulls Player to rely on, just my failing eyes ;-)
I concur. One of the few positives to come out of the game was how well Mansell and Oastler played. Very energetic, strong in the tackle and broke down plenty.

I'd go as far to say that, in Mansell's absence next weekend, we could do a lot worse than to play 4-4-2 with O'Kane and Oastler in the centre
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

SouthamptonGull wrote:

Having not been at the match Dave, I can only go on what the match commentators said...but what does Dave Thomas know compared to you eh! ;-)

And by your own admission...you have stated that you keep forgetting your glasses! :)

I will be at the Mansfield game, and I do owe you a pint at least for the tape you sent me~ remember Helen in the Torquay Crossbar Challange..."Roll the tape." So if you're there...as opposed to listening to the match on GullsPlayer...I will happily repay my debt! Might even buy Scott a drink also! :)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Northumbergull wrote:Thanks, all, for the explanations...

As anybody who has seen me with my wife at a match, you'll know I'm in a mixed race marriage and am inclined to get a bit touchy about things at times, mostly having been on the receiving end of quite a few racist comments over the years. :(

But, still, I find the interpretation of somebody's dad washing elephants as referring to somebody's size as a bit of a hop, skip and jump.

Care to explain to an old codger how this plays out? :)

Cheers

Bruce

well Bruce, as you know i am of "tinted" colour myself, an i got what they meant, and i didnt think it was racist.
in all honestly i have never had a problem with it myself - although i do have a cousin who could stand in for Mr.T anytime - perhaps thats why......... :)

anyway, Bruce that is my take on it.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

wurzel wrote:

Having not been at the match Dave, I can only go on what the match commentators said...but what does Dave Thomas know compared to you eh! ;-)

And by your own admission...you have stated that you keep forgetting your glasses! :)

I will be at the Mansfield game, and I do owe you a pint at least for the tape you sent me~ remember Helen in the Torquay Crossbar Challange..."Roll the tape." So if you're there...as opposed to listening to the match on GullsPlayer...I will happily repay my debt! Might even buy Scott a drink also! :)

Dave Thomas only knows what he reads on here, you should know that one by now ;-)

In all seriousness, the two main plusses from this game for me were the centre midfield pairing and also the form of Nico, Jeff also agrees with me so maybe he needs glasses too :lol:

Am hoping to make the Mansfield game, would be good to meet up for a beer beforehand, look forward to it.
Dave

chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Yea but what was with the WHITE SHORTS???? Looked like a pub team.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.