Gillingham vs Torquay Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Gillingham vs Torquay Match Thread

Post by Plymouth Gull »

We're on our travels once again, and this time the destination is the Priestfield Stadium, home of Gillingham FC. We have been on poor form, without winning in 8 games now, and we go to a Gillingham side who have had to rely on their home form for the last 12 months or so, as they haven't won any away game in 33 attempts now! Anyway, I think this will be a tough test as we look to end our barren spell, but we need our defence back to its best. The Gills currently sit in 16th place, two points behind ourselves.

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - League One - 14th place - 60 points
2006/07 - League One - 16th place - 59 points
2007/08 - League One - 22nd place - 46 points
2008/09 - League Two - 5th place - 75 points -- PROMOTED VIA PLAYOFFS.
2009/10 - League One - 21st place - 50 points

Gillingham have been on a bit of a downward spiral this decade. They were in Division 1 (Championship) at the turn of the millenium, but got relegated to League One in 2004. Siince then, they were in League One for four seasons, before being relegated down to League 2. They made an instant return to League 1 with a successful playoff victory, but were then sent back down last season. It's been a bit topsy-turvy recently, following the Gills, or so I'd imagine!

HEAD TO HEAD.

Gillingham wins - 28 (24 in League)
Torquay wins - 32 (28 in League)
Draws - 23

We have a decent record against Gillingham, although the two clubs haven't met for 15 years in a League fixture. The last time the two met in a league game finished 0-0 at Plainmoor, in the 1995/96 season. Since then, we have met in the Football League Trophy, and the League Cup. Gillingham beat us 1-0 in the 1998/99 season at Plainmoor, which was my first ever game too. Our latest victory against the Gills was a 3-2 success in the 2nd leg of a League Cup round, but as we lost the first leg 2-0, we were knocked out.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

LWDLWD

Very mixed form springs to mind looking at that. The Gills home form is good at the moment, winning 3 of the last 4, so I'm expecting a tough game on Saturday. Defeats have come at Accrington, in that incredible 7-4 reverse, and Bradford (1-0). Their away game before that was also a high scoring affair, losing 5-4 at Bury.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the lineup that started there 0-0 draw at Port Vale:

Julian

Nutter
Lawrence
Sinclair
Fuller

Weston
Maher
Bentley
Palmer

Payne
Oli

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

I believe the Gills have players missing recent games, like Andy Barcham, Bayo Akinfenwa and Cody MacDonald, and I have seen somewhere that they expect Barcham to return on Saturday. If so, I think he will be a big threat, whether he plays on the wing or down the middle, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him score. Dennis Oli has great pace so that could be a bit of a problem if he gets many chances to use it.

PREDICTION.

This'll be a tough game, but looking at their home form against our current form, I'll say home win.

Gillingham 2-0 Torquay
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Good thread starter again (as always).

I think the key point here is in fact their good home form. If it wasn't for that, they would be struggling at the bottom of the table.
We have shown we can score against tough sides, but having a defence with more holes than a tea bag we are really going to struggle.
If we can play like we did at Shrewsbury I am going for a tight win to Torquay.

Edit - By the way look out for the new "Back Step Army" flag (although I may not get time to get the writting on it).
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

As always, great preview nickgull.

By the looks of it, Gillingham don't concede many at home, however they don't score that othen at home either. If and that's a big IF, we can take our chances and keep it tight at the back, I think we can get something out of this. I believe they've only scored six home goals in six home league matches (don't quote me on that).

Would be happy with a point, but desperatly need a win sooner rather than later! I'll say 1-1.

Off to Florida on Friday so hoping to hear 3 points winging our way again! :)

COME ON UNITED!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Think I went for a 2-2 draw with Benyon and zebroski scoring.

I would take a draw here as; you've already said, they have a good home record.

I don't expect any changes to the lineup unless we sign someone by then. However- I would like to see Macklin replace Stevens and possibly drop Branston(bring LRT in as Senda is injured)
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Tough game. Not expecting much from it but hopefully we can tighten up in defence and keep our performance levels up..

Worth noting that you can get a ticket in advance for this from the Club Shop.

In Advance its

£20 Adults
£13 16-21
£9 Under 16's

On the day:
£23 Adults
£16 16-21
£12 Under 16's*

*I'm not 100% sure on the Under 16's on the day but I'm fairly sure for 16-21 and its definatly £23 on the day for Adults.

So far I'm the only one whos got an advanced ticket :lol:
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Blimey, not a cheap away day :?
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

£23? At least Dick Turpin wore a mask. That is absolutely ridiculous.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

"Sit down if we've been ripped off!" (Remember singing that at Swindon away in 04/05) :) :) :)

Gillingham 2-1 Torquay

Not confident ATM

But do hope it's a win!

YELLOW ARMY!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with Mr. Danny. The poor form will continue. Thus:

Gillingham(1) 2
Torquay United (0) 1

Att: 2,999
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Come on Gulls get me three points on my birthday !!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Danny_tufc wrote:"Sit down if we've been ripped off!" (Remember singing that at Swindon away in 04/05) :) :) :)

Gillingham 2-1 Torquay

Not confident ATM

But do hope it's a win!

YELLOW ARMY!
At least Swindon provided us with a roof that day! No such luxury on Saturday!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Team news:

-Wroe won't travel
-lathrope and senda are still injured
-!!Rose HAS officially signed- and looks likely to play tomorrow
Charnock travels although he is likely to leave.
Last edited by Yellow4life on 22 Oct 2010, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
crazyfool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek 'The Dude'

Post by crazyfool »

When I sat down at the start of the season with the fixtures this was one I planned to make, but other things have come up. A Palace mate of mine was also going to join us. Not sure he realised it was £23 on the gate though!!

I'm going 2-2 on this one.
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

Have tried for ages to get on the site as HOHG...to no avail! So now it's wurzel! Maybe, someone is trying to get rid of me! ;-)

On to the match though. With all these young strikers with speed to burn coming our way, one would think we could look forward to this game with some sort of optimism. If only. I doubt Buckle will change the side though, and stick with the same players who haven't won a game in almost two months! :(
Ludlow Gulled
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Ludlow Gulled »

Not had much chance to see the boys so far this season. Only managed Southend and that was pretty dismal apart from the last 15 minutes. Hoping for a much better showing tomorrow and to get my 23 quids worth. My old man wants to know if there's concessions for the old lags?

In light of recent events, I'm going for a highly optimistic 3-2 to us. With the shoe firmly on the other foot, we go in 2-0 down at half time but rally strongly in the second (God knows it's our turn to come back from the dead!). Zebs shows we're not rolling over and scores a stunning edge-of-the-box volley to begin the fightback. Then the new boys step up and prove Bucks a genius: Romone notches on 80 minutes to square things up before Hemmings leaves 2 defenders for dead and finishes a breath-taking run by slotting the ball past the stranded Gills keeper seconds before the ref blows the final whistle. The travelling faithful are delirious...as, in fact, am I.

...Still, a fella can dream, can't he?