Torquay vs Bury Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Gutted. Listening online sounded as though we slaughtered them but just didn't get the run of the ball in around the box. Even when we got one it was chalked off at the death.

We need another striker that much is clear but i am massively concerned about us defensively at the moment. I don't think our midfield does enough defenively hence the staggering amount of 25 yarders gone in against us this season where oppo players are given far too much time and space to shoot. Off the top of my head I can think of Port Vale, Southend x2, Macclesfield, Crewe and today. You'd probably expect 2 or 3 a season from miles out to go in, for there to have been 6 already is alarming.

Branston seems to have lost the confidence and composure he had in abundance last year, 3 penalites in 2 weeks is just kiling us at the minute. Got to stop shooting ourselves in the foot every week. Madness that we couldn't score a goal for toffee yet were resolute and now we are scoring for fun and have 1 point from the last 2 games having scored 6!

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask, it feels like that sort of afternoon.
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

Just got home, Overall it wasn't a bad performance, but one thing stood out for me, which is Branston. When the ball is on his head he is ok, but when it is elsewhere, he is a liability, he has given 3 penalties away in 2 games and has no positional sense of wear he is placing the ball. He is one of my favourite players but he is simply not good enough at this moment in time. On the up side though, Ellis look solid, but Zebs was outstanding, two great goals and from an exelent move, he should have had a third. I feel we should have had a penalty and Benyons 'goal' was 100% handball. Moved down to 11th so table placement isnt a massive worry yet. On to Gillingham we go....
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bixieupnorth wrote:go and get your leeds scarf on snw, that'll cheer you up!!
are you havin a giraffe? :x

of course you are!!! :lol:

i wouldnt support them in a million years!! :lol:

id rather have a hot poker.......well anyway..... :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

well, I can't believe that we played so well, scored 3 goals and came away with nothing. In my opinion, today was a great team performance, everyone fought and battled until the last second of the match and the desire was there without question. At the time, i thought their 2nd and 4th goals were huge blunders on our part, but need to see them again really. Felt that Robbo and Ellis were a little out of sorts at times, Robbo was run ragged by Ajose in the first half especially (I seem to be contradicting my great team performance bit here, I know). Credit to Bury, they played to their strengths - pacy, quick to break and used Sodje at set pieces. The ref was ok for first half but I reckon Bury slipped something in his half time cuppa as 2nd half he gave us very little - Benners was fouled every time he had the ball towards the end. Didn't see his handball, so was distraught his 'goal' wasn't a goal. Thought the penalty was for shirt pulling?
Special mentions to Zebs, he worked so hard and made things happen - he has matured considerably. Kee had some great touches and had some good link up play with Zebs and Benyon, would definitely start him again next week. Danny had flashes of brilliance. But my man of the match in all honesty would be Manse - I am often critical of him but today he was like a lion in midfield and kept driving the team on.
All in all, a very entertaining afternoon - for those who had to tune in, don't despair at the result. If we play like that against most teams we will win comfortably.
Last edited by westbaygull on 16 Oct 2010, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

westbaygull wrote:well, I can't believe that we played so well, scored 3 goals and came away with nothing. In my opinion, today was a great team performance, everyone fought and battled until the last second of the match and the desire was there without question. At the time, i thought their 2nd and 4th goals were huge blunders on our part, but need to see them again really. Felt that Robbo and Ellis were a little out of sorts at times, Robbo was run ragged by Ajose in the first half especially (I seem to be contradicting my great team performance bit here, I know). Credit to Bury, they played to their strengths - pacy, quick to break and used Sodje at set pieces. The ref was ok for first half but I reckon Bury slipped something in his half time cuppa as 2nd half he gave us very little - Benners was fouled every time he had the ball towards the end. Didn't see his handball, so was distraught his 'goal' wasn't a goal. Thought the penalty was for shirt pulling?
Special mentions to Zebs, he worked so hard and made things happen - he has matured considerably. Kee had some great touches and had some good link up play with Zebs and Benyon, would definately start him again next week. Danny had flashes of brilliance. But my man of the match in all honesty would be Manse - I am often critical of him but today he was like a lion in midfield and kept driving the team on.
All in all, a very entertaining afternoon - for those who had to tune in, don't despair at the result. If we play like that against most teams we will win comfortably.
I hear exactly what your saying - however the same has been true of the last 3 games and we've conceivably thrown away 7 points there. We could have been top of the league! Its starting to grate on me now, and worry that we seem to be playing so well and getting nothing for it. That sort of scenario can manifest itself.

So we take our wretched run to Gillingham next Saturday - notoriously good at home. I would love nothing more than to tell you all that we played awfully and got beasted all over the park...............but won 1-0
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Jeff, I would need to see their goals again before commenting too much, but I honestly feel that with a bit of tweaking on the training pitch, we will begin to win again soon. We are scoring more, which was a bit of a problem last month, the midfield looked good today with O'Kane and Manse. I personally felt that Ellis was at fault for their 2nd, and that their 4th was too soft, it's bizarre that the defence that held out for so long without conceding has looked a touch wobbly of late.

Also, I doubt if many predicted a win against this lot today. If (there's always an 'if') the ref had given us a penalty in the 1st half, we may have gone on and won... I appreciate your concerns, but I feel much more optimistic having seen the performance today, than I was a few weeks ago with the strange formations and substitutions.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

You can see that we have just put our CM on the transfer list?! Manse should of been MOTM today. He had to play in CM on his own today. O'Kane is NOT a CM, we could see that he was out of position and had no clue what to do in CM. And in my opinion it was partly O'Kanes' fault for 2 of the 4 goals (which is a joke to let in 4) from being out of position, but we have to blame the woeful defending! It was like the teacher left the students in defence today. As soon as Guy went off it all went wrong! Ellis and Charnock not talking, running into eachother it was awful! Even though he scored Robbo had a shocker aswell! Kee looked quite promising at times, but I think he is very weak for how stocky he is. He needs to use his strength a lot more. On a different story, Wayne should be playing in the starting XI week in week out. He has the best footballing brain in our whole squad. He always looks confident on the ball and we need that in our team ATM. Also in a different story....Buckle.....please bring on a sub earlier, not just when the opposing side has just scored! Wayno had his bib off then 2 secs later he put it back on again!? Crazy! I don't understand it where managers say TUFC are so good away and we play like crap when we are at home!?

Ref and Lino.........? Lets not go there! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Not amused don't want to think about it let alone talk about it.
Grr!
Is good that we're playing well but luck is not going our way it seems.
Have taught my 4 year old daughter to shout Paul Buckle's yellow army so it wasn't a wasted day.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

HRG wrote:Not amused don't want to think about it let alone talk about it.
Grr!
Is good that we're playing well but luck is not going our way it seems.
Have taught my 4 year old daughter to shout Paul Buckle's yellow army so it wasn't a wasted day.
HRG - 100 lines please - I must not use Buckspeak, I must not use Buckspeak...

Incidentally, all you posters who kept checking the live table - hang your heads in shame!!! ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well were do i start,a game full of entertainment,some good football,well taken goals,mistakes,it really had everything i do not think any one could have complained if that match had ended 7.7,walked away from the ground with a strange feeling,i had just seen our thrid straight home defeat yet felt happy.

I do not think it was a case of things going wrong when branston was taken off,i think that may have been damge limitation ,as Branno was having a torrid time out there today,also think we have to give bury's forward line some credit,they were quick,sharp,and moved the ball quicly around our box,think it was more a case of them asking constant questions of our defence rather than our defence playing badly.

One complaint from the game,surely there has be consistancy from the referee ,the bury penalty, yes it was a penalty no argument,but how 10 minutes later when the same thing happened up the other end,we got nothing..why?.

Today the overall performance was good,and yes we have hit the post again(not funny any more)and football is about results,however i feel if the team keep up this performance level results will change soon.
Formerly known as forevertufc
BFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BFC »

Didn't attend today, so I'm commenting from distance, so shoot me if I'm wrong!
I think our pace told today, on the pitch and on the bench too. You can't coach pace, you're either quick or you're not.
Nicky Ajose is a class act, he's going back to United next week and we'll miss him good style, hope we can have him back for a while Sr'Alex?
I think there's plenty of goals in BOTH our sides, at BOTH ends!
You will win most of your home games this year - you can score goals and most sides won't set up as attacking as we did today.
Have a safe trip up to ours in December, and good luck 'til then, we owe you one for that 3 - 0 lesson you gave us last time!
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Danny_tufc wrote:You can see that we have just put our CM on the transfer list?! Manse should of been MOTM today. He had to play in CM on his own today. O'Kane is NOT a CM, we could see that he was out of position and had no clue what to do in CM. And in my opinion it was partly O'Kanes' fault for 2 of the 4 goals (which is a joke to let in 4) from being out of position, but we have to blame the woeful defending! It was like the teacher left the students in defence today. As soon as Guy went off it all went wrong! Ellis and Charnock not talking, running into eachother it was awful! Even though he scored Robbo had a shocker aswell! Kee looked quite promising at times, but I think he is very weak for how stocky he is. He needs to use his strength a lot more. On a different story, Wayne should be playing in the starting XI week in week out. He has the best footballing brain in our whole squad. He always looks confident on the ball and we need that in our team ATM. Also in a different story....Buckle.....please bring on a sub earlier, not just when the opposing side has just scored! Wayno had his bib off then 2 secs later he put it back on again!? Crazy! I don't understand it where managers say TUFC are so good away and we play like crap when we are at home!?

Ref and Lino.........? Lets not go there! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
As soon as guy went off it all went wrong? Things werent exactly rosey when he was on the pitch. I agree Kee was promising, he had a part in most of the goals with some clever movement, and once again Buckle too slow with the subs, how many times have we conceded THEN tried to win the game, lets try and win it 60 minutes in, not 80? I would also start Wayne, but I dont think Zebroski or Stevens deserve to be dropped at the moment. Anyway, I am confident that at the next home game, we will get rid of this crap run of form.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Well what a day, its not often you see us score 3 goals and go home feeling robbed, last week aside that is.

Criticism I had was that it looked like we were playing 4-3-3 there were no wingers today, sure Danny started but for the first half he was playing centremid, zebs was too busy up front poaching (rightfully so, as it turned out) but the whole match the right hand side was screaming for someone to bomb up it.

As for Branston, needs to shake it off, 3 penalties in 2 games from 1 player - something not right, that said i'm glad to see Bucks making a decision and bringing him off at half time, though Charnocks lack of League games did show.

Not overly impressed with O'Kane today, Kee looked good fantastic back heal to Zebs and he's looking slimmer - if only we could dump his lost weight on O'Kane... Regarding Macklin, as the bloke i stand next to said 'He's like a bloody greyhound' pace yes, substance? No.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

westbaygull wrote: HRG - 100 lines please - I must not use Buckspeak, I must not use Buckspeak...
My apologies :)
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Apologies if this was said somewhere else, does anyone know why Guy come off at HT?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.