Torquay vs Bury Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Danny_tufc wrote:Apologies if this was said somewhere else, does anyone know why Guy come off at HT?
Take a look at .com.

Buckle doesn't hold much back. Hopefully his criticism of Branston will inspire the Pickler to bounce back next week...
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Would have given my thoughts earlier, but had to dash straight off for a 6 hour shift at work. :| :cry:

Anyway, on that performance, I expect Bury to be in the top 7 come May. They were quicker, more comfortable on the ball than we were. Once again, strikers who can find the net were the difference - admittedly Lowe's was a penalty, but that Ajose was a step above League 2, in my opinion.

As for our performance, I have to admit I'm disappointed with how we played. At 2-0, we could have seen the game out - it was obvious that they were going to come onto us alot more, but if we had held out until half time, we would have won. I had a feeling that the game would turn on a decision, and so it proved, with a penalty that 60% of the time aren't given. However, it was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, as about 10 minutes after their penalty, we should have had one, but didn't.

Anyway, its disappointing but Bevan wasn't at his best yesterday. With the penalty it's hard to say, but you could see from the way that Lowe ran up, that he wasn't going to power it in - maybe Bevs could have waited until Lowe was right there, but still, hard to judge, and probably unfair to criticise on.

Robertson was poor throughout I thought, struggled with the pace of the game, and looked a bit unsure of his own ability. Ellis was strong, as usual. Now, onto the Pickler. Some of the criticism he was receiving was absolutely ridiculous, I thought. Okay yeah, he was the one penalised for the penalty, and he gave the two away at Crewe, but crikey, one bloke behind me was giving him a constant barrage of abuse. Totally over the top reaction, in my mind. I'd like to see how all the people complaining would do in a tense match like yesterday, when you've got a glaring sun in your eyes and the ball is always in the air coming towards you - I know it's a bit of a weak excuse, but clever by Bury getting the sun into our eyes for the first half, and it proved extremely difficult. In a way, I'm glad that Branno and Ellis managed to clear some of the balls coming over, as it would have been much worse if they missed them. Nicho was okay, I thought - didn't do much wrong that I can remember.

Onto the midfield, if Zebroski wasn't given MOTM it would have been outrageous - he seemed the only one trying at some parts - and if he puts in more performances like that, he'll be gone in January, I'd imagine. Stevens caused some problems, but wasn't really on the ball that much. Mansell never stopped running, but was ineffectual for some periods of time. O'Kane was played in a much deeper role yesterday, hence the poor performance. It was like O'Kane was in front of the back 4, with Mansell infront of him, when their roles should have been reversed.

Billy Kee was often criticised too, but I was impressed with what I saw - he won a fair bit in the air considering his height/build, and you could see some class in their. All it'll take is a goal or two, and he'll be on his way. I was disappointed with Benyon, selfish for that one on one when a pass to Kee would have made it 3-2 at the end of the first half, and the handball goal - I hate cheating and I'm glad it didn't get us a point that would have been wrong.

All in all, not our best performance, and the total opposite of the Shrewsbury game, where passing was the mentality, while today was more route 1, which wasn't working.

Still, a tough game at Gillingham, in which I will get the Match Thread up tonight hopefully.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Well that was a funny old game. How have we gone from a team that doesn't concede, to a team that has no idea how to defend, in a matter of weeks?

I thought Bury were excellent. Nobody wants to lose, but it was refreshing to see a side come to Plainmoor and be positive for 90 minutes. As usual, Sodje was a rock for them, and Ajose up-front looked exactly what he is - a class or two above this division.

On the balance of play, we probably deserved to get something from the game (including a very obvious penalty). But i'm afraid any team that defends the way we did can't complain about finishing up with nothing, it was truely woeful. Robbo was all over the place in the early stages, and then there was Branston. When there was a clamour for his signature in the summer i offered the suggestion that with the clock ticking on his career, and with an obvious lack of pace and mobility, it wouldn't be long before he started creaking. In fairness, it's probably too early to say that, but the signs are worrying.

In midfield O'Kane was pretty much anonymous (apart from one sublime pass in the first-half). I'm a big fan of his, but when playing in centre-midfield he naturally has to reign in his attacking tendancies - and that really reduces his effectiveness. Is it possible that his introdcution to that role has resulted in less cover for the defence? We've conceded 7 in the last 2 games. Perhpad NW was doing more than people gave him credit for...?

Up front i thought Kee worked tirelessly. I really hope he gets on the score-sheet soon because he deserves it, and we'll see a different player when that weight has been lifted (no pun intended).
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."