League 2 Playoff Final: Stevenage vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Fletch wrote:Whilst I havnt bothered to read every post on here, it seems to me that whenever we come up a team that plays open football, we have no problem dispatching them. If, however, we are up against a team that are happy to sit back and absorb pressure and look to catch us on the break, with a well drilled defence and midfield, then thats when we're screwed. We havnt been able to penetrate teams that sit solid all season. You only had to look at the number of players Stevenage had in their box on the odd occasions we had a dead ball. All 11 usually...The inability to break down defensive teams is what has cost us all season and Saturday just confirmed it...

For once we agree, it seems to be a characteristic of Buckle sides that occurs often. I said on the way up that if both sides played to their full potential we would win comfortably................... but that we never seemed to do well against sides of that ilk. I bet Rovers are the same next season.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I won't let this thread go quietly into the night without adding further.

Besides the usual suspects, also met for the first time Brady (regiment), Del (hardofherringgull) and our leader, :bow: Morrissey, oops, Louis.

Sorry I couldn't hang around to have a chat chaps, but there was an angry group of thirsty drinkers outside Sam Platts waiting for me to do a rare thing : buy a round of drinks.
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

:O Trojan buy a rounds of drinks ??? :O over the many years of knowing you and your bruv you both were known as "the short arms and long pockets brothers from ellacombe"....
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

robbotufc wrote::O Trojan buy a rounds of drinks ??? :O over the many years of knowing you and your bruv you both were known as "the short arms and long pockets brothers from ellacombe"....

At least I still go pub. Where do think he would have been with the wife on Saturday if Old Trafford hadn't of interrupted the shopping routine ?

Oh dam it ! Given it away.
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Boom Boom wrote:What worried me about yesterday was the fact none of our players are adequate bar Nicholson using their left foot. Stevens, Kee & Robinson all would've scored if they'd been able to use their left peg. It's so annoying.

I don't play professional football but last season I've been going training & only using my left foot - passing, shooting, corner's etc entirely on my left. Now I'm much better for it. Something maybe a few of the players might want to consider.
Do you know kidda, that is exactly what I used to do when i played many moons ago, so much so I ended up playing on the left side of a strike pair in The County Senior League (one of the top amateur leagues in S.Yorks at the time) as I could lash the ball in with either foot and cross with both as well! Prided myself on it, which is why one-footed professionals? even at the highest level (Beckham anyone?) piss me off.

Agree totally with your post. :keepie:
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!