League 2 Playoff Final: Stevenage vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I have to be honest, from what we saw on telly we were pants. Good news was I was joined by Gareth Howells, who scored the penalty in the 1991 final against blackpool
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

What worried me about yesterday was the fact none of our players are adequate bar Nicholson using their left foot. Stevens, Kee & Robinson all would've scored if they'd been able to use their left peg. It's so annoying.

I don't play professional football but last season I've been going training & only using my left foot - passing, shooting, corner's etc entirely on my left. Now I'm much better for it. Something maybe a few of the players might want to consider.
citizengull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by citizengull »

I think it was a case of Kee panicking when 1-0n-1 not that he has a bad left foot, with such a big game fear definetley took over.
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by tommygull »

At half time it was always going to go one of 2 ways. A comeback like at Bury away when Buckle puts the wind up them at half time and they com out all guns blazing and with a bit of luck and alot of hard work it came out well. The other alternative is what actually happened, we came out strong and attacked well for 15 minutes then Stevenage slowed the game down and broke up the play and our heads dropped, we lost momentum and the passing went down hill. A bit of bad luck on a couple of occations and some poor finisheing and with 20 minutes to go it was evident that the fight had gone from the players and we didn't look like scoring from then on.

It's a massive shame because with a bit of luck in those 15 minutes after half time we could have got a goal and Stevanage's second half tactics would have been ruined, we probably would have won the game. But this is football and it didn't happen on the day so we pick ourselves up and look forward to next season with slight excitment and alot of trepedation(?).

COYY
:( Tommy :)
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I havent had a chance to look back at previous posts made after yesterday, however the better side won, and unfortunately it wasn't us. I can't think of one person who was anything above average. We never clicked and never looked liked scoring.

As for the crowd, well on a positive, well done to the fans who made the trip, nearly had double the fans that Stevenage brought along but that is where my positives stop. For the t*t who told me to sit down and watch the match in the first half, I HAVE PURCHASED A TICKET TO BE IN THE SINGING SECTION OF THE GROUND, IF YOU DON'T LIKE ME SINGING MY HEART OUT THEN GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. The singing section was a joke. No one around me (apart from a few lads right behind me) were singing at all.

I'm so glad I bumped into SG at half time and ever so thankful that he organised those that wanted to sing to move to the back of the lower tier of the Stretford End. It is because of him that I sit here with a sore throat. I don't think I have ever started so many songs before, but I loved every second of it.

As for PB's tactics, Rowe Turner for Nicholson? Stevens for Robinson? What planet is this guy from? Robinson was a danger down the flanks and Nicholsons set pieces were the only two ways I could see us breaking Stevenage down. By this stage, I knew we weren't going to win.

When he got everyone in a huddle at the end of the game, I bet he was pointing out players who he was going to take with him to Bristol.

I'm glad to have been to Old Trafford and it is a lovely stadium, however a crowd of 11,000 in a 75,000 seater stadium, reminded me of away matches to Darlington.

Congrats to everyone from Stevenage, the better side won and I hope you do well in League One. As for the t*ats who were giving fans on the coach the finger and telling us to go f*ck ourselfs (I counted at least 10 cars after leaving Manchester) I hope you enjoyed your day trip to Old Trafford and you tell all your friends that you've been to Old Trafford.

For the true Stevenage fans who were quite the opposite to this t*ats, I wish nothing but success for your club.

I'm still proud to be a Torquay fan and look forward to next season already. I don't think we'll be as successful as this season has been, but hopefully we can keep most of our players, and push on for promotion next season.

As I sang at the end of the game, BRING ON THE ARGYLE!!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Got what we deserved = NOTHING.

The team we've all been watching over the last few weeks failed to show.

Ripped off by the League, ripped off in the pub and pretty peed off right now, not because we lost, I can take that, it's how we lost.

If Buckle is going which I'm sure he is, please can he do it over the weekend before he starts his holiday, I want a replacement asap and I want us to start preparations for next season.

We're in for a scrap next season, make no mistake.

Once again, totally agree with you Dave. They wanted it more and played the gamesmanship card in the second half. We were better but not good enough. I see stormy skies ahead!! Could be in for a long season fighting at the wrong end I fear. :'( Anyway, a pound to get into the pub!! 2 pound for a small non alcohol beer!!! and then the team not turning up till the second half!!!! On the positive side maybe we might have a crack at auto promotion next season, I live in hope. :~D
Oblivion!!!!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Can't add too much to what has been said by others.

We out numbered the Borough fans by 2:1 but they definitely won the singing contest. Their Borough, Borough, Borough chants and coordinated drumming and clapping was boring but loud and effective - generally drowning out the few yellow army chants.

Their tactics were predictable but similarly effective - long ball to MOTM Charles then attacking down both wings from secondary possession where their right back consistently skinned Nicho and created the space for their run and strike for the goal. We had no adequate response in the first half but second half we realised that we had to keep possession, play football and press them further up the field.

Unfortunately we had no one with their shooting boots on - 3 out of 16 attempts on target was pathetic and tells a story. They had 5 out of 10 on target and those generally troubled Bevan whereas I don't recall Day making a serious save.

The substitutions were too late and to leave Kee on when he had another shocker and replace a quickie (Robinson) with Stevens was bizarre.

The time wasting was irritating but not overly excessive and the referee did clamp down on it.

The officials generally had a good game and so the conclusion is that Stevenage deserved their victory.

Credit to Mansell to remember the fans at the end.

Final thoughts was that this was a sad end to a wonderful season but I would have snatched your hand off if you have offered it at the start. Buckle has done a wonderful job with scant resources but I really fear for next season if/when he goes to Rovers.

Fortunately there will be some other strugglers next season - Dagenham, Accrington, Barnet, Cheltenham, Macclesfield and possibly Argyle (if they don't sort themselves out soon) could all be scrapping for survival. I therefore hope for a season of mid table obscurity whilst we rebuild the grandstand ready for another assault on promotion in 12/13.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I think Billy Kee has a busy summer ahead - get alot fitter and lose abit of that weight (or turn it into muscle!)

Absolutely dreadful yesterday - how he stayed on for 90 minutes I'll never know.

Had a crap view for the first half, got mugged off by the prices in Old Trafford too.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Overall I think Stevenage deserved it - they were better first half than we were second. I'm glad that we at least made a go of it though, my biggest fear was it would be a repeat of the Rotherham match, so while I'm disappointed we haven't gone up I'm happy we were in the match until the end.

Credit to the Stevenage fans, they were small in number but loud in voice. While it'd be good to have got a lot of vocal support from the Torquay end it's difficult when all those who want to sing are so spread out. At Shrewsbury where they were much more condensed it was a much better atmosphere.
tufctillidie
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by tufctillidie »

it's good to see stevenage are still up to there old tricks, there player went down in th 63rd minute, and the rest of them went for a 'drink' good to know that the fa/fifa still haven't sorted this cheating play out
Keep Calm. Support Torquay United
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Boom Boom wrote:What worried me about yesterday was the fact none of our players are adequate bar Nicholson using their left foot. Stevens, Kee & Robinson all would've scored if they'd been able to use their left peg. It's so annoying.

I don't play professional football but last season I've been going training & only using my left foot - passing, shooting, corner's etc entirely on my left. Now I'm much better for it. Something maybe a few of the players might want to consider.

Accepted thought suggests that 90% of the population are "right handed/footed". For a right footed player to put in a competent corner with their left foot is a testimony to their dedication to become an "even balanced" footballer. I swung over a few with my left and bang on the money they were.

As we witnessed yesterday, failure to strike with the "weaker foot" when the opportunity presented itself resulted in a strike at goal being lost.

As most of my games were played in left positions, it was essential my "weaker" foot became "stronger". In my later years as a "non contract" footballer, I didn't notice the difference between either foot. My team mates did though, they said I was crap with both. :@
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote:
Accepted thought suggests that 90% of the population are "right handed/footed". For a right footed player to put in a competent corner with their left foot is a testimony to their dedication to become an "even balanced" footballer. I swung over a few with my left and bang on the money they were.

As we witnessed yesterday, failure to strike with the "weaker foot" when the opportunity presented itself resulted in a strike at goal being lost.

As most of my games were played in left positions, it was essential my "weaker" foot became "stronger". In my later years as a "non contract" footballer, I didn't notice the difference between either foot. My team mates did though, they said I was crap with both. :@

made i larf that troj! =D

remember george best being told by someone "george, you're a bit weak on your left foot" george trained for two weeks with a tennis ball and never used his right foot. then when he played the next game, wore a boot on his left and a trainer on his right.

he scored 11 goals - all with his left foot!! (smart a*se!) :@ =D

so it can be done!!!!!!!!!!

thats what makes me laugh about pro footballers now. so many are one footed - and some even struggle being that!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I am glad i stayed up there ,gave me the chance to sleep it off before posting anything,mind you me and the lad got some strange looks as we sat looking so glum in the hotel bar waiting for our food,we thought we would then cheer ourselves up by watching the Man.u get stuffed in the C/L final up in our room,yep you guessed it we both fell asleep and missed the match :)

First and foremost for me this was about a weekend away with my lad at the football,meet up woth a few lads i already new and i hoped to meet a few i had not met before,so it was great to meet citizen,Budliegh gull and regiment for the first time,the higlight in the pub before the game was,the look on the barmiad's face when she saw the Vas-Gull army queued at the bar,priceless :rofl: ,what would have put the icing on the cake was promotion sadly that was not to be,it really would have made a good weekend a great one.

As said i have slept it off now so to much add on the game,to me the first half no show cost us dear ,second half alot better from our team,but it comes down to composure ,players like Zebs and Robinson/Tomlin have been so composed with there finishing in games leading up to this,yesterday got in great postions and just lost there heads.

Short summary,first half Stevenage turned the pressure into a goal,second half with our prssure the team were not up to it,best team won,good luck to them next season,have a feeling they will need it,then again so would we have,if it had been us who won,i reaaly did hope/want us to go up,but we blew it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

hi to you all,like all you had busy weekend,just browsed through all your posts,well people ok we werent at our best,also now confirmed bucks has left,trying to be positive guys,on the pitch this season has been a succesful one,and watching our beloved gulls walk out on sat made me so proud,as am sure all of you were,dont want to elaborate on the game to much,as you all have said your opinions peviously,but all you should be proud of our achievements in the last few seasons under bucks,whether you like him or not,look to the future with high optimism,ok we didnt perform on sat,does that make us a bad team no it dosent,we will perform again and again next season and beyond you can be sure of that fellow gulls,keep smiling all.....simon
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Whilst I havnt bothered to read every post on here, it seems to me that whenever we come up a team that plays open football, we have no problem dispatching them. If, however, we are up against a team that are happy to sit back and absorb pressure and look to catch us on the break, with a well drilled defence and midfield, then thats when we're screwed. We havnt been able to penetrate teams that sit solid all season. You only had to look at the number of players Stevenage had in their box on the odd occasions we had a dead ball. All 11 usually...The inability to break down defensive teams is what has cost us all season and Saturday just confirmed it...