League 2 Playoff Final: Stevenage vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

League 2 Playoff Final: Stevenage vs Torquay United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Old Trafford
Saturday 28th May 2011
KO: 3pm

Well, who'd have thought it? The club exceeded my expectations by even finishing in the top 7, and they have surpassed it now by beating the much-fancied Shrewsbury over the two legs. Now we go for it one more time, but this time, the biggest prize is there. The only thing that stands in our way is a 90 minute battle with Stevenage. I call it a battle as that is what I'm expecting! I cannot see for one minute that they will go to Old Trafford and try to play us off the park. We will have to be physically and mentally prepared for this game, as it is not going to be easy, for sure. Neither side were expected to reach this point of the season, far from it, but both have exceeded expectations. Graham Westleys' men have had a phenomenal season, and they will look to add they icing on the cake by winning at Old Trafford, making it successive promotions.

GULLS NEWS.

Well then, we've had just over a week off, since Saturdays fantasticly valiant effort at Greenhous Meadow. I don't think there are any injuries, and I don't think there will be any changes to the side.

STEVENAGE NEWS.

There are no suspensions or key injuries in the Stevenage camp - John Mousinho returns from suspension I think, so it looks like Westley has a full squad to choose from.

RECENT PLAYOFF FINALS.

Obviously this is the first League 2 playoff final at Old Trafford. However, in recent years, the playoff final has been a tight affair. Dagenham & Redbridge were successful, edging out Rotherham 3-2 last year. The season before that, a late Simeon Jackson goal won it for Gillingham against Shrewsbury. The last time the Final was won by 2 clear goals was in 2007, when Bristol Rovers won 3-1 against Shrewsbury in the first Playoff Final back at the new Wembley. The biggest win in recent times was in 2003 when Bournemouth hit 5 past Lincoln, winning 5-2.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

Here is the line up that Stevenage lined up with at Accrington, in the 2nd leg on Friday:

Day

Wilson
Laird
Charles
Roberts

Henry
Murphy
Long
Byrom

Bostwick
Reid

Subs: Harrison, Beardsley, Welch, Winn, Maamria, Marjarson.

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

Craig Reid was signed for £125,000 allegedly in January from Newport, which is the new club record. He obviously has something about him to make Westley splash that sort of amount, so he could be a problem on Saturday. Byron Harrison also joined in January, and has scored alot of goals since joining. Mark Roberts (captain) is a solid centre half, and is an aerial threat at set pieces. I also remember Darius Charles well - his rugby player physique gives him a big advantage when it comes to strength, and he has pace to go with it.

REF WATCH.

Oh dear.

PREDICTION.

2-0 either way.

Come on you yellows!
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Thanks, Nick, for all the info!

As it is, I'll be trying to "watch" the game on my laptop as I can't afford to go and your background stuff helps a lot!

I reckon, if we play anything like we did in the semis we stand a good chance. We were solid in all positions, I felt. For the first time in years I really can't see a weak spot.

So, my prediction, well, 2-1 sounds about right to me. Stevenage aren't a bad team and, with the best will in the world, they'll probably be able to work something at some point in the game. I just think we've got too much up our sleeve for us to get turned over!

So, sing up everybody on my behalf! :bow:

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

NickGull wrote:Old Trafford
Saturday 28th May 2011
KO: 3pm

Well, who'd have thought it? The club exceeded my expectations by even finishing in the top 7, and they have surpassed it now by beating the much-fancied Shrewsbury over the two legs. Now we go for it one more time, but this time, the biggest prize is there. The only thing that stands in our way is a 90 minute battle with Stevenage. I call it a battle as that is what I'm expecting! I cannot see for one minute that they will go to Old Trafford and try to play us off the park. We will have to be physically and mentally prepared for this game, as it is not going to be easy, for sure. Neither side were expected to reach this point of the season, far from it, but both have exceeded expectations. Graham Westleys' men have had a phenomenal season, and they will look to add they icing on the cake by winning at Old Trafford, making it successive promotions.

GULLS NEWS.

Well then, we've had just over a week off, since Saturdays fantasticly valiant effort at Greenhous Meadow. I don't think there are any injuries, and I don't think there will be any changes to the side.

STEVENAGE NEWS.

There are no suspensions or key injuries in the Stevenage camp - John Mousinho returns from suspension I think, so it looks like Westley has a full squad to choose from.

RECENT PLAYOFF FINALS.

Obviously this is the first League 2 playoff final at Old Trafford. However, in recent years, the playoff final has been a tight affair. Dagenham & Redbridge were successful, edging out Rotherham 3-2 last year. The season before that, a late Simeon Jackson goal won it for Gillingham against Shrewsbury. The last time the Final was won by 2 clear goals was in 2007, when Bristol Rovers won 3-1 against Shrewsbury in the first Playoff Final back at the new Wembley. The biggest win in recent times was in 2003 when Bournemouth hit 5 past Lincoln, winning 5-2.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

Here is the line up that Stevenage lined up with at Accrington, in the 2nd leg on Friday:

Day

Wilson
Laird
Charles
Roberts

Henry
Murphy
Long
Byrom

Bostwick
Reid

Subs: Harrison, Beardsley, Welch, Winn, Maamria, Marjarson.

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

Craig Reid was signed for £125,000 allegedly in January from Newport, which is the new club record. He obviously has something about him to make Westley splash that sort of amount, so he could be a problem on Saturday. Byron Harrison also joined in January, and has scored alot of goals since joining. Mark Roberts (captain) is a solid centre half, and is an aerial threat at set pieces. I also remember Darius Charles well - his rugby player physique gives him a big advantage when it comes to strength, and he has pace to go with it.

REF WATCH.

Oh dear.

PREDICTION.

2-0 either way.

Come on you yellows!

Oh dear ?

OH FECKING DEAR !!!

Limp dick Deadman is not only dead from the waist down, he's also dead from the feckin neck up !!! :@ :@ :@
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Expect a tight end to end 1-0 for us...just!
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Stevenage 1 Torquay 2
Bostwick 50" Zebroski 45" Tomlin 70"
DavetheRave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by DavetheRave »

DD - he crucified us at the crawley game...........bad vibes on that one
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

Great preview, and my nerves are beginning to kick in. I think we'll go with the same XI that started the 2nd leg of the Shrews game. My only worry comes if anybody picks up a knock, as I don't feel as confident in the 'replacements' as I do in the first team.

Providing we can name the same XI, and avoid anything which may scupper our best laid plans, my prediction is for a 3-1 win. Zebroski(23), Robinson(31), Long for them on 72 and Zebs on the break in the 87th.

COYY!!!!!
DavetheRave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by DavetheRave »

Good preview from the Sky Sports website:-

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/ ... 97,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gulls can swoop
Beags predicting thrills and spills at the Theatre of Dreams
Peter Beagrie Posted 24th May 2011 view comments

.Two years after securing a return to the Football League, Torquay boss Paul Buckle masterminded a 2-0 aggregate victory over hot favourites Shrewsbury Town in the League Two play-off semi-final. Now his side take on Stevenage in the final at Old Trafford.

The Gulls can pass the ball, they're technically very good, their work-rate is second to none and they're very, very dangerous on the break.

Buckle's brave selection against the Shrews included four forwards - two occupying central roles and two out wide.

Buckle up: Beags expects goals aplenty in the League Two play-off final
I saw them on a fantastic run at the end of last season and spoke to Paul after a 5-0 win at Bury. He was very excited to have tied down a lot of the youngsters to long-term contracts and I subsequently predicted they would finish in the top eight this term.

Buckle's optimism has proven well-founded as Torquay, in my book, are now favourites to reach League One.

Direct
Stevenage's 3-0 aggregate victory over fourth-placed Accrington in their semi-final sounds very comprehensive - and it was. The Accies were undoubtedly favourites in a clash billed as football v fitness but in this case, fitness won. Stevenage were far too strong physically and mentally over the two legs.

The Gulls can pass the ball, they're technically very good, their work-rate is second to none and they're very, very dangerous on the break.Peter Beagrie
Quotes of the week
.LIVE ON SKY SPORTS
League Two Play-Off Final
Stevenage v Torquay
2.30pm, Sat, Sky Sports HD1
Also on Sky 3D
Watch online with Sky Player
How to remote record.John Coleman's side let their manager down in what could prove to be his last game in charge as he surely nears the end of a 12-year tenure (he has recently been linked with Bradford).

Stanley found a Stevenage defence, which has proved to be the best in the division, virtually impregnable.

That twinned with Stevenage's direct and physical approach proved too great a hurdle for Coleman's band of silky stars to overcome.

The fact Coleman's outfit had lost only once in their last 19 home games prior to Stevenage's 1-0 win shows you the size of the achievement.

Darius Charles and Craig Reid are battering rams in both boxes, and Stacy Long is their most creative force when he drifts in off the left wing and on to his favoured right foot.

They've got the experience having been in the play-offs before and they've got a chance of back-to-back promotions.

Clash
It really is a clash of styles. Stevenage are brilliant at set-pieces - their captain Mark Roberts teeters on the edge in terms of gamesmanship and physicality. He's a real leader.

Without John Mousinho, who was their star player, they've acquitted themselves very well because of organisation. Graham Westley's approach is frowned upon in many quarters but he gets the best out of what he's got - and what he's got is a team full of spirit, hard work, endeavour and little bits of quality, mainly provided by Long.

The big pitch at Old Trafford should suit Torquay. The longer the game goes on the more fitness will become an issue, but neither side should find that a problem as they're two of the fittest sides in the division.

I just think that Buckle's approach, playing the likes of Billy Kee, Gavin Tomlin and Chris Zebroski allied with the young Irish lad Eunan O'Kane, will mean that they've got too many dangerous players to hurt Stevenage.

PETER'S VERDICT: Stevenage's physicality is always going to be a danger especially at set-pieces, but I just see Torquay's free-flowing football and willingness to attack their opponents as being too much for Westley's men.

Even though neither side conceded in the semi-finals, I think there will be goals in this one. There had better be because I'm going to watch it!

Beagrie's prediction: Stevenage 2-3 Torquay
SantaCruzScotty
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kee

Post by SantaCruzScotty »

Stevenage 2 (3) - (4) 2 Torquay
Penaltys for me...

Zebs and O'Kane to score.
Man of the match Guy Branston.
Attendance Around the 20,000 all together
Torquay Till I Die!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

bump.

Feeling more confident now, funnily enough.
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

Always nice to get the nod from an 'expert', but seeing as how we've always had the rough end of the stick from people like Claridge and co, I'm never too focussed on what they think.

Just hope i'm happy come 5pm(6 if it goes longer). That'll do for me
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Northumbergull »

Well, the great day has arrived!

No doubt, as I post, the coaches are being filled at Lymington Road and others are having a last cuppa before setting off. I only wish I was one of them but, for various reasons, I have to sit this one out. So, drive, fly, sit on the train etc carefully, folks. The TUFC diaspora is willing you and the team on wherever we are on the planet!

Off to get some sausages with the dog for a good fry up and then back to iron my shirt! :-D :scarf:

Cheers

Bruce
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Northumbergull »

Just made my wife, Amethystgull, a cuppa in my TUFC mug!

I accidently did that in the semis and we won through! :O

A new bit of superstition, methinks! :nod:

COYY!

Cheers

Bruce
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

OMG OMG OMG I am so nervous. Haven't felt like this since....oooh, the last time at Wembley. Am in and out all afternoon as have people staying for the weekend, can't bear how tense I'm feeling...

COME ON YOU YELLOWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Is there no commentary on Gullsplayer? Anyone got team news please? Can't type as my hands are a bit trembly.