Crewe vs Torquay Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

I was in the other camp in January Scotty, but I did not put the result down to PB s substitutions today.

If you consider that they missed a pen you could (if you so wished) take the view that we were lucky to get a point rather than bemoaning the loss of two...
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: i didnt think we did let them in scotty. they were at home and the crowd was on their backs, 2nd goal was a screamer and that was never a pen for the 3rd from where i was. (i am willing to be proved wrong in a few mins on the FL show!)

as for okane, im sure he took a knock when he scored, so was subbed for that reason.

cheers

ok the 2nd pen was a pen............. :Oops:

but the 1st f***ing wasnt! :evil: :x
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

What was Oastler like for the time you saw him for?
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

You're right about Benners, SNW. He probably was deserving of a higher rating. His intelligent movement across the line caused Crewe problems, while he always provided an outlet and held the ball up very well. It was also his quick-thinking that led to O'Kane's goal. My only criticism was that he didn't pose problems inside the box, but then he he did lack service and support for periods of the game. His performance showed how much he has evolved as a player over the last few years.

As for Oastler, he had a hand in the third goal and slotted in quite well. He was second best to a couple of balls, but he displayed promise and potential.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tommyg wrote:You're right about Benners, SNW. He probably was deserving of a higher rating. His intelligent movement across the line caused Crewe problems, while he always provided an outlet and held the ball up very well. It was also his quick-thinking that led to O'Kane's goal. My only criticism was that he didn't pose problems inside the box, but then he he did lack service and support for periods of the game. His performance showed how much he has evolved as a player over the last few years.

As for Oastler, he had a hand in the third goal and slotted in quite well. He was second best to a couple of balls, but he displayed promise and potential.
cheers tommyg.

has you said he did well without any real decent service, although as i said in my piece, i think he should have had a pen when he got bundled over by that big donkey. and as you have said, his game has come on in leaps and bounds. he impressed me yesterday. i think/hope that given time, billy kee will be there soon. i felt yesterday that the lad was trying to hard. hope he gets a goal soon.

oastler did ok, although it was a difficult time for him to come on when he did.

cheers.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

nananana
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Micky Cave

Post by nananana »

Having looked through all the posts on this thread...goodness, i'm becoming like SouthamptonGull! :O ...there is one glaring omission~no one has mentioned that our barn door missing forwards have failed yet again. With a decent striker it would have been another three points in the bag. What is the point of putting Gritton on the field~might as well dig up Gracie Fields and put her up front!

With a bit of luck a very short sighted conference manager will take SNW ( no, not the little fat one from Barnsley :lol: ) from us, thereby freeing up some wages so as we can get a bloody striker! :twisted:
It's a sobering thought, but in a hundred years or less, every person that uses this site will be dead!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by tommyg »

HardofHerringGull wrote:Having looked through all the posts on this thread...goodness, i'm becoming like SouthamptonGull! :O ...there is one glaring omission~no one has mentioned that our barn door missing forwards have failed yet again. With a decent striker it would have been another three points in the bag. What is the point of putting Gritton on the field~might as well dig up Gracie Fields and put her up front!

With a bit of luck a very short sighted conference manager will take SNW ( no, not the little fat one from Barnsley :lol: ) from us, thereby freeing up some wages so as we can get a bloody striker! :twisted:
In Gritton's defence, he was only on for 15 minutes and had a header cleared off the line from a corner. But I take your point about a new striker. I think Bucks was relying on Kee to score Rendell's goals, but it hasn't quite happened for him yet.

On the subject of Wroe, anyone know what is going on? Will he be back in the team next week or are we planning life without him?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

HardofHerringGull wrote:Having looked through all the posts on this thread...goodness, i'm becoming like SouthamptonGull! :O ...there is one glaring omission~no one has mentioned that our barn door missing forwards have failed yet again. With a decent striker it would have been another three points in the bag. What is the point of putting Gritton on the field~might as well dig up Gracie Fields and put her up front!

thanks as ever del, you flat headed lincolshire (crap) sausage! :lol:

think you are doing the other SNW a disservice - there maybe a league 2 club that want him.................... ;-)

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tommyg wrote: In Gritton's defence, he was only on for 15 minutes and had a header cleared off the line from a corner. But I take your point about a new striker. I think Bucks was relying on Kee to score Rendell's goals, but it hasn't quite happened for him yet.

On the subject of Wroe, anyone know what is going on? Will he be back in the team next week or are we planning life without him?
tommyg, see above......................................

TUST Member 468

yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

tommyg wrote:You're right about Benners, SNW. He probably was deserving of a higher rating. His intelligent movement across the line caused Crewe problems, while he always provided an outlet and held the ball up very well. It was also his quick-thinking that led to O'Kane's goal. My only criticism was that he didn't pose problems inside the box, but then he he did lack service and support for periods of the game. His performance showed how much he has evolved as a player over the last few years.

I think that is a fairer assessment tommyg. I thought he worked his nuts off playing a target man role. The ball stuck with him more often than not and he was able to bring others into play. He was my MOTM.

Yes he should be our fox in the box , but yesterday he did a job for the team. He has matured into an asset to the club.

I have always seen Mansell as not a proper midfielder due to limitations in his game, but yesterday changed my mind. He was wayward with some passes but his endeavour was clear to see. He needs to be paired with a creative midfielder. Step forward Eunan O Kane. Was Manse captain yesterday in the, so far unexplained and therefore mysterious, absence of ONW? If not why not?
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by tommyg »

Yes I was pleasantly surprised about the Mansell-O'Kane partnership after previously expressing serious doubt that that combination would click. Still early days but I saw enough to suggest that my initial thoughts were wrong.

As for the armband, I'm 99% certain Manse was captain.
nananana
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Micky Cave

Post by nananana »

tommyg wrote:Yes I was pleasantly surprised about the Mansell-O'Kane partnership after previously expressing serious doubt that that combination would click. Still early days but I saw enough to suggest that my initial thoughts were wrong.

As for the armband, I'm 99% certain Manse was captain.

I seem to remember, that when Ellis signed his new contract one of the things mentioned was that he would be vice captain (if that's the correct word in football).

So untill all this kerfuffle with Wroe is sorted, maybe Ellis should be captain...or is it to early for him? :?
It's a sobering thought, but in a hundred years or less, every person that uses this site will be dead!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by tommyg »

HardofHerringGull wrote:
I seem to remember, that when Ellis signed his new contract one of the things mentioned was that he would be vice captain (if that's the correct word in football).

So untill all this kerfuffle with Wroe is sorted, maybe Ellis should be captain...or is it to early for him? :?
I didn't hear about that but nevertheless, I'm not sure it would be wise to hand the armband to a player who could well be departing in January.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Was the Pickler getting stuffed for pace and confused by the short triangles? - Hence the two pen.s?
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Finally caught up on the highlights - did not enjoy having to miss an away day!. Superb finish from O'Kane, really liking his work at the moment. First penalty decision looked harsh, second one looked unfortunate as Bevan looked to have it covered but you can't blame Branston for going in hard as thats what he's all about.

I'd have taken a point if offered on Saturday morning. its a shame it had to come from being two goals up, but thats life. Although it continues this poor run, we're nearly a quarter of the way through the season, still in 8th place and just taken 2 points away from home at very tough opponents. They'd be great results if we can get one over Bury on Saturday, but thats another matter altogether.