JPT - Swindon vs Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

JPT - Swindon vs Torquay

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Tomorrow evening we travel up to the County Ground for a Johnstones Paint Trophy tie with League One side Swindon Town. Swindon are an ex-Premiership club, and they are on of the bigger clubs in League One. However, they have endured a very disappointing start to this current season, and I would say this is the best time we could get to play them, before they start picking up some form. They would expect to beat us, and I expect them to do so, but as we found with Bournemouth, if our back 5 is as strong as it has been previously this season, then they could find it hard to break through us. The Robins are currently 16th in League One.

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - League One - 23rd place - 48 points
2006/07 - League Two - 3rd place - 85 points
2007/08 - League One - 13th place - 61 points
2008/09 - League One - 15th place - 53 points
2009/10 - League One - 5th place - 82 points

I think that an established League One side would describe Swindon over the last 5 years. They got relegated, but were straight back up the season after, and have consolidated well ever since. Mid table for two years straight, followed by last years playoff final misery, losing 1-0 to Millwall at Wembley, and I think the fans have a right to be optimistic for this coming season. I think Swindon will be in the top 10 this year, pushing the playoffs for the majority of the season.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Swindon wins - 35 (all comps)
Torquay wins - 26 (all comps)
Draws - 21

We have played 6 cup ties against Swindon in our history, and never won one. All 26 of our victories against the Robins have come in League games. We have only played Swindon 4 times in recent years, drawing both games in 2004/05 in League One, and Swindon doing the double over us in League Two in 2006/07. Swindon have a good record against us, and when they met us in the 1992/93 season, they beat us 6-0 at Plainmoor in a Cup match.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

DWWWLL

Mixed form springs to mind when I see their last 6 games. A 0-0 draw away at Carlisle was followed up by three consecutive wins, against Southampton, Walsall and Huddersfield. Last Tuesday they lost at home to Plymouth, and then lost at Dagenham on Saturday. They beat both Southampton and Huddersfield at the County Ground, but Plymouth won there, so who knows?!

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the line up that started their 2-1 defeat at Dagenham:

David Lucas

Kevin Amankwaah
Sean Morrison
Scott Cuthbert
Michael Rose

Paul Caddis
David Ball
Jonathan Douglas
Simon Ferry

Thomas Dossevi
Vincent Pericard

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

I would have said that Charlie Austin would be the notable one to watch, but with him not even being in their squad for the weekends game, I'm assuming he's injured.

So for me, the players to watch will be Thomas Dossevi, Jonathan Douglas and Sean Morrison. Dossevi is a Drogba-type striker (and looks like him too), and he scored their only goal at the weekend. Douglas is a very experienced tough tackling midfielder, who can score goals from anywhere. Sean Morrison may be a bit unknown to some, but he is a young centre back who I can see going onto bigger and better things in the future.

PREDICTION.

Well I was spot on with the Shrewsbury prediction, but I think this will be a bit too much for us.

Swindon 2-1 Torquay

Sorry its a bit late!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Apology accepted, good stuff.
Don't think we'll get thrashed but can't see a win here.
Always happy to be proved wrong though.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

NickGull wrote:Sean Morrison may be a bit unknown to some, but he is a young centre back who I can see going onto bigger and better things in the future.
Football manager ;-)
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

And Fifa! :P
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Admin - please delete the other thread.
The gulls are going up
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

You have far too much time on your hands, dude.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Extra time win, methinks. :)

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Pity i am tied up in Oxford tommorow night otherwise I would have been down the A420 for this one. I think it's a good possibility we will pull this off late in the game.
Oblivion!!!!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

So the real Matchday thread is here!

1-0 win here KEE to score!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

To be fair to Gullno4 he didn't do a bad job, but as we all know, Nick does a wonderful write-up on our opponents.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Is this game really a 7pm kick off? Both clubs' official sites say so; I guess it must be true.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

jonnyfive wrote:Is this game really a 7pm kick off? Both clubs' official sites say so; I guess it must be true.

It is indeed, to persuade more youngsters to go as it won't finish past their bedtime! ;-)
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Northumbergull wrote:Extra time win, methinks. :)

Cheers

Bruce
Bruce mate, I don't think there is extra time, it is 90 minutes and then penalties.

If we play like we did against Shrews I am going for a 1-0 win to us (as long as Ellis doesn't slip again :Oops: )
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

noone really cares. I mean no radio coverage, kick off at 7 pm. Lets hope Buckle puts out the youth team and does not spunk us another three points like he did at Southend. This really is the most meaningless competition this side of nagasaki - even the judge at Plymouth Crown Court wouldn't realease the Argyle captain from jury service!
Reminds me of a joke - What do you call a judge with no thumbs?
Justice Fingers (cleaned that one up a bit)

My forecast for tonight - we will probably win. Buckle won't stop harping on about how well we played and we probably won't win a league game this side of Xmas.

Perhaps Bucks might include puffing Billy Kee tonight, which should ensure we get knocked out.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

It's listed as being on GullsPlayer, although this doesn't necessarily mean we will be able to listen in.

Brucie, your obsession with Kee is getting tedious. Please don't keep knocking him until he has had a chance to prove to you that he is as hopeless and/or unfit as you seem to think. I have my Louboutins resting on this fella and haven't seen anything to knock my confidence in him yet. Just wish Bucks would start him soon, before there's too much of a gap in the leading goal scorer tables...